This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

It's Finally Time

Started by Adam Porter, September 29, 2016 · 251 Replies · 7,314 Views

Malcolm Watters
On 8/8/2017 at 5:39 PM, Adam Porter said:

F4 today... Feeling stronger.

Meanwhile, the third week of Couch to 5k is ramping up the intensity!

 I honestly believe that these very different exercise programs are helping each other.  Each one gives me benefits for the other. 

What are you doing on couch to 5k now, is it an 8 week program?  

Adam Porter

F3!

@Malcolm Watters yeah, it's an 8-week program. Basically alternating between X seconds of running and Y seconds of walking. Each week, there's more running and less walking. Right now, I'm at about 50/50 and max run time is 3 minutes at a time.

Malcolm Watters

I've done that program a couple times.  It works great.  The best part imo, is the shorter run times as you build up helps you have a faster pace.  So instead of going out and running 3 miles at a 12 min mile pace cause that's as good as you can do, you run 3 mins at 7-8 min mile pace and build up to more mins but same pace. I did it a few years ago and then moved on to the 10k trainer but running for and hour 4 days a week was more than I wanted.  You'll love the results you get

Adam Porter
On 8/11/2017 at 2:19 PM, Malcolm Watters said:

I've done that program a couple times.  It works great.  The best part imo, is the shorter run times as you build up helps you have a faster pace.  So instead of going out and running 3 miles at a 12 min mile pace cause that's as good as you can do, you run 3 mins at 7-8 min mile pace and build up to more mins but same pace. I did it a few years ago and then moved on to the 10k trainer but running for and hour 4 days a week was more than I wanted.  You'll love the results you get

Awesome.  Happy to hear that you enjoyed the program, too. I am on week four, and I am surprised at how well I can keep my pace from the previous week, despite the longer runs. I think you hit the nail on the head, regarding the shorter run times early on. 

 In other news, I got my F4 in. 

Adam Porter

Ran this morning.

F3 this evening. 

Adam Porter

F4 + Run today.

Adam Porter

F3 + Run.

Lorenzo Bohl

The consistency that I have seen this thread get updated by you, @Adam Porter is great! Keep up the good work!

Adam Porter
On 8/25/2017 at 9:20 AM, Lorenzo Bohl said:

The consistency that I have seen this thread get updated by you, @Adam Porter is great! Keep up the good work!

I appreciate that. Thank you!

 I just feel badly that I took a two week hiatus right after you posted that. haha.

 Long story short, between the holiday weekend the other week, and the longer "Couch to 5K" runs, I just have not been able to make the time for this. 

 On the bright side, I only have one more run in the program.  It's hard for me to believe that it's been nearly 8 full weeks. We have been consistently doing 3+ miles for the last few weeks. It feels great.

 And last but not least, I just got an F4 in today!

Adam Porter

And the F3. Final run of the program is slated for tomorrow morning!

Adam Porter

And again, I ghosted on you guys. hehe

2 weeks ago I was out of town at a work conference. Last week I was camping and hiking with my family. This past Saturday I had my very first run race. I ran a 4-miler in 34:33, which is about an 8:39 minute per mile pace. THAT was exciting!

So now I'm back with an F4 today!

Everett Carroll

I love this thread! Keep at it, everyone!

Adam Porter

As Dick Vitale would say: "F3 babyyyyyyyyyyyy."

Adam Porter

F4 in the bag!

Adam Porter

....and the F3 to round it out.

Adam Porter

F4 this evening.

Adam Porter

F3 tonight. Gotta get another run or two in this week. I've got a 5K next Saturday. Fun times!

Adam Porter

Took a brief hiatus to prep for, and run, a 5K.

Back this week with an F4 for starters.

Adam Porter

And an F3 this evening for a case of the Noodle Arms.

Adam Porter

F4 logged.

Adam Porter

F3!

Adam Porter

Skipped last week for some 5K prep. Back at it today with the F4.

Also picked up a Garmin watch to start tracking some metrics.

Adam Porter

F3, in preparation for Thanksgiving. Have a good one, all!

Adam Porter

 Had a great holiday. To celebrate, I submit to thee an F4. 

Adam Porter

Followed up by the F3.