Possible to combine GST with soccer?

Started by Johan Forsberg, August 23, 2016 · 6 Replies · 1,975 Views

Johan Forsberg

Hi,

My question is if its possible to comebine the GST with soccer? I play somewhat serious, 4 times a week á 1,5h almost the entire year. This season I have had alot of problem with injuries, pulling both calves, having tight hamstrings and glutes that effects my running. Will I benefit by starting out with GST and is it possible to combine even if I practice 4 times a week? 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Johan, in your situation the best solution it work on the 2 stretch series for the lower limb: front split and middle split. it is not a surprise that soccer players have the most horrible imbalances on the lower limbs in therms of mobility.

Johan Forsberg

Thanks for your respond! So the best start for me would be to do the Fundamentals and then start with the Front Split Series? 

Everett Carroll

Both lower limb stretch series so front split and middle split along with Fundamentals. Let us know if you have any other questions Johan. 

Daniel Taylor-Shaut

I would add that the Single Leg squat if trained properly will REALLY help the ligaments of the knees and hips (it's one of the seven elements in the Foundation Series). Things us soccer players are all too wary of. Further it will help your hip strength which is also all too important for running stability, as well as strength in the volley, chipping or shooting. 

 

My other suggestion would be to space all of these three items out. All of the soccer training+conditioning, plus these workouts will leave you sore. I would leave 2-3 between each stretch series each week and then add in the single leg squat work after your soccer conditioning/before you perform either stretch series or on a separate day. You'll find that your agility will greatly improve as your knees become much more supple through the greater ROM.

Johan Forsberg
On 2016-08-26 at 5:06 PM, Daniel Taylor-Shaut said:

I would add that the Single Leg squat if trained properly will REALLY help the ligaments of the knees and hips (it's one of the seven elements in the Foundation Series). Things us soccer players are all too wary of. Further it will help your hip strength which is also all too important for running stability, as well as strength in the volley, chipping or shooting. 

 

My other suggestion would be to space all of these three items out. All of the soccer training+conditioning, plus these workouts will leave you sore. I would leave 2-3 between each stretch series each week and then add in the single leg squat work after your soccer conditioning/before you perform either stretch series or on a separate day. You'll find that your agility will greatly improve as your knees become much more supple through the greater ROM.

Thanks alot! Sorry, but my main language is not english so I just want to make just I understood you correctly. Your suggestion is that I buy Fundamentals, Foundation & Stretch series? Foundation for the Single Leg Squat, and Stretchseries to get more flexible. My biggest concern if that I will have time for all three at the same time combining with soccerpractice. 

Also, could you clarify what you mean with: "  I would leave 2-3 between each stretch series each week and then add in the single leg squat work after your soccer conditioning/before you perform either stretch series or on a separate day. " Leave 2-3 days between each stretch series workout? 

Big thanks again

Alessandro Mainente

If you are completely new then Fundamentals first.