Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

P90X program. good?bad?

markbauerjav

Ive just recently purchased the P90X home fitness program. I was always a little skeptical about tv infommercials, but the more i watched the commercial, the more i had faith in the program. I know alot of the people on this site have probably never heard of it, but for the people who have, i was just wondering what your feelings on the program were. maybe some pros and cons of the program? thanks in advance

The dietary program that goes along with it has been noted to be expensive.

I think some of the stuff would get very boring over time.

It focuses on form over function. Train to look good rather than be strong. People will still make good gains on it, but ehh. One of my FB friends is on it now, I need to ask him about it one of these days.

Scores of threads over on the crossfit board.

Ya i feel like it just helps old people who have a lot of extra body fat lose it so that they look lean and "ripped". Notice how in the infomercials it talks more about looking "ripped" and people telling them how cut they look, rather than actually being functionally strong or athletic.

I still don't see the reason to pay for any fitness programs with all the free stuff available on the internet

Right. P90X seems to just be a circuit training program to maximize muscles used and calorie burn. My guess is you could get the same, or better, with a good diet and alternating between sprints, biking and sprint swimming. At least with this you will improve your running and swimming, which for most people is what is useful to them. Most people just want to feel good on their feet, and not sluggish. Worst thing I ever heard someone say in regards to exercise, was when a friend said, Ah, I don't need to workout... I still get ***. Well, maybe that was beat by a 300 lbs. women who said she hates to exercise, so that isn't happening. Whole different world, really.

Except, some people need a regimen and are too lazy or ignorant to figure it out themselves. Figuring it out yourself requires quite a bit of reading or at least more than a simple google that connects to P90X or watching the infomerical. Then you have to write it all down.

A vast majority of people getting into exercise just want to look good or better, naked. That's their goal. They may come to enjoying the pursuit of lifting heavier weights or performing more impressive feats but sometimes they don't care what they really do, especially if looking good is part of their personality or job.

if i had access to gymnastic equipment and all of its facilities i wouldnt have bought it, but i only do gymnastics once a week. and its quite expensive so thats why i can only do it once a week. i totally agree with the quote that it will get me stronger, but it wont help me for a specific purpose or function. i love training gymnastics, but i just feel that i dont have the facilities. and even thou i LOVE training like a gymnast, i throw the javelin and im planning to throw in college if i can afford it.

if i had access to gymnastic equipment and all of its facilities i wouldnt have bought it, but i only do gymnastics once a week. and its quite expensive so thats why i can only do it once a week. i totally agree with the quote that it will get me stronger, but it wont help me for a specific purpose or function. i love training gymnastics, but i just feel that i dont have the facilities. and even thou i LOVE training like a gymnast, i throw the javelin and im planning to throw in college if i can afford it.

Most of the core stuff you can do at home. You can make parallettes or a dip station out of nothing more than wood, angle joints, and pvc. Just look at how far people have gotten by simply using a park for free. For strength and carryover to gymnastics, you can easily beat P90X.

It's easy enough to make a set of parallettes and even rings. You can make wannabee DB with milk jugs and sand or water.

I have the program, if your goal is to get more muscular looking and lean out and you follow the nutritional guidelines you will achieve it on this program. It will not however prepare you for any of the movements seen on this site or in Coach Sommer's book. It incorporates basic bodyweight movements such as a regular pushup and chin-ups/ pull-ups. If you are just trying to look good for the beach then it is a good program

Joshua Naterman

Agreed. I have it as well. It is intelligently laid out and well programmed.

They do a fair amount of bodyweight work, and if one were to switch out gymnastics exercises for the regular ones, such as the pull up progressions instead of just doing regular pull ups, or PPP instead of regular push ups, SLS or graduated SLS, etc. You'll have to adjust the difficulty to the set and rep schemes they use, so it won't be the same as strength training but you can still use a lot of the exercises we prefer here :)

Joshua Naterman

SOmething of a hybrid, the set/rep scheme of p90x is way different, because they are focusing on looks as opposed to strength gain. But it would at least have some direct crossover and probably give better results. I'd say you'd be doing P90-GB!

thanks for all the feedback everyone. i bought the program cuz it was really the first body weight training program that ive ever come across. I know everyone says that you dont have to go to a gymnastic place to train like a gymnast, im not arguing that, but i just felt like there was only so much gymnastic stuff i could do at my park. I guess i felt limited in my training, so i bought P90x. I figured i had to start somewhere, and P90x looked like a free body workout that would be fun. Im on week 8 of it and i absolutely love it. no bench press, dead lifts, cleans, jerks, none of that stuff. just pushups, pullups, and dumbell work. I figured it would be a good stepping stone for ultimately training like a gymnast. i just wish i had access to the big time facilities. *again not sayin that i cant do SOME stuff at the park* but i just feel very limited.

Joshua Naterman

Trust me, you're not limited. All you need is rings, honestly. If you have monkey bars and an extra sweatshirt then you've got a pommel horse and you can do Germans on that. You didn't waste your money, p90x is good, but after you finish the 90 days start using your park for either straight up GB training or P90-GB! :)

• 3 weeks later...