Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is shoulderwidht?

Tomas Johansson

Tomas Johansson

Maybe stupid question but I don't actually now what can be considered shoulderwidht. When doing headstand pushups should the hands be so that all fingers are inside your shoulders, that seems very narrow and also painful for the elbows. My most narrow confortable/natural position is with maybe one finger inside the shoulders, hope you know what I mean. Is that narrow enough for your? ;-)

If you are looking yourself in the miror, you must have your outer side of hands in perfect U-letter look like position, not V-look like.

Tomas Johansson

Tried this position, and wow, it's another exercise. From being able to 5+ headstand pushups with just thumb inside my shoulders I'm now happy if I can do 1 rep with this stricter position. Feels like it's much more arms now.

I had the same same "aha" experience as you recently, after following a subject on opening the shoulder girdle during

headstand.

I've been doing negative HeSPUs now for 2 scc, that's over 4 months. Adjusting my hand with set me back a lot too, but

I've decided to start doing HeSPUs against the wall for my next scc, even though I can't do a full ROM I'll be striving too constantly

increase my ROM until I get it, I'm so close I don't think it will take too long.

Finally I get to my contribution to this subject. If you look at the different progressions described in the book ( building the gymnastic body ) they don't all look like a completely strict U. Example - the first picture in showing the HeSPU - elevated progression. It looks a bit V-ish to me.

The Korean with under-grip progressions looks more like a U shape. IMO the arms are here more perpendicular to the floor in comparison to the above mentioned progression. This could be a optical trick as the two different picture demonstrations are taken in slightly different angles.

What's your take on this Gregor? Are the progressions a perfect U in accordance with your definition?