Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Maximum height of parallel bars

Kate Abernethy

Kate Abernethy

Hi, I am looking into these:

http://www.incitefitness.co.uk/outdoorgymsgarden/garden-pull-up-and-dip-bars-combo-installation

and was wondering whether at 5ft the parallel bar part would be too low, and a custom height should be requested.

What is the maximum height that parallel bars are used at (for a person 5'6.5" tall)?

Thanks for any ideas.

Alessandro Mainente

There are different height, considering some exercises of course you should be able to hang  and have your feet off from the floor.

• Upvote 2

As Alex said, the max height you'd need would be the same as the pull up bar, where you can hand freely underneath the bars.

For most of the thing you do, you won't need that much height though, and for most everything you do a height about armpit level is good. It's not so high that it's a pain to get up, and will allow straight legs in Russian dips swinging dips etc.

If you have the funds a split level set up would really be nice. One at free hand height and one at armpit level.

The other big thing to make sure of, since it sounds like custom is an option, is the spacing between the bars. Make sure you work out the spacing you like best using parallel bars, or jury rigging something, and measure it.

• Upvote 1

Kate Abernethy

Thank you Alex and Cole :) I had visions of parallel bars 7ft up in the air, with a ladder to the side :huh:

For spacing between the parallel bars I'm thinking of going by shoulder width plus a clenched fist.