This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

What's for DINNER? {Take a Photo}

Started by William Trask, July 11, 2016 · 59 Replies · 1,463 Views

Julia Quigley

Ok, not my entire dinner but the vegetable for dinner the other night was roasted cauliflower and white cheddar soup. I could seriously eat an entire head of cauliflower this way :P

 

 

image.jpeg

Luke Searra

Definitely not a bad thing Julia

Jan Dochnal

Dinner time! Curry tomato chicken with rice and steamed broccoli.DSCF2030[1].JPG

@Julia Quigley how did you make the soup? Is the cauliflower already in it?

 

Luke Searra

looks delicious

 

Fabio Genesoni

Last night dinner....

Rice, shredded chicken in a creamed saffron sauce, spinach.

 

IMG_20160804_222333406.jpg

Julien Le Nestour

Hey, great posts! Here's a snap of the protein element for us this week: slow cooked beef in coconut curry. Recipe is super simple:

  • 1kg of your favorite cheap beef cut for braising (here it's chuck steak)
  • 6-8 onions
  • 2 big cans coconut cream
  • curry spice mix to taste (difficult to give measurements here, I just dump what feels right in)

then in slow cooker or in oven at 110 (Celsius) for at least 8 hours, but ideally 12 (like here). One of my favorite meals only behind slow cooked oxtails.

I heat it and serve it over cold rice or cold cooked potatoes. With veggies like fermented sauerkraut before, it's Thrive compliant, easy and is devoured by my 5 yo and 2.5 yo and I can eat dinner with them instead of waiting for bedtime since there is so little prep involved, I can be at the table with them instead of in the kitchen :-)

IMG_8014-1.JPG

Julia Quigley

@Jan Dochnal Curry tomato chicken sounds great! How'd you make that? Here's the recipe for the white cheddar cauliflower soup. I've made it with milk, half n' half, and cream and with and without bacon and all versions are tasty. 

@Julien Le Nestour, chuck roast is one of my favorite cuts of meat! That looks great. What kind of curry did you use? Yellow curry powder, or some kind of paste? 

Julien Le Nestour

@Julia Quigley yellow curry powder :-)

Jeff Serven

Fabio and Julien those look great! 

Ryan Bailey

Impressed by what the gut can process sometimes... Here's today's lunch:

20160809_090016.jpg

Harvested this morning: Backyard kohlrabi, tomato, mixed salad, 5 XL free range eggs mixed with rice. 

About 1,000 calories. 

Anyone else eating this much during an ambitious foundation week of training? By history, I know this lunch will satisfy my afternoon pre,  during, and post workout needs, without having to snack.

Julia Quigley

Tonight's dinner was built around oh-crap-the-dentist-ran-long-and-I-didn't-make-it-to-the-grocery-store-and-I'm-really-hungry.

I had chicken sausage in the freezer that was quick to thaw and finish in a pan. I had some fresh broccoli to steam, and I'd made chai concentrate a week ago, so I used that to make chai-spiced, steel cut Irish oatmeal with cream.

 

image.jpeg

Fabio Genesoni
On 9/8/2016 at 4:25 AM, Jeff Serven said:

Fabio and Julien those look great! 

Thanks! :)@Jeff Serven

Luke Searra
Quote

These all look delicious!

 

Julien Le Nestour

Another one I just made and actually took pictures to post here because it's that good (at least in our house) and requires very little prep. It's oxtail with onions, slow cooked. Little prep and very, very tasty (you can even serve it at dinner parties as it's something most people don't eat everyday as well).

Steps:

  • put the oxtails in a large pot that can be covered and goes to the oven, put quite a bit of coarse salt on them
  • add water either to mid-level of the oxtail pieces if you have quite much free space in the bottom or cover them just if you have packed meat there (like I did in my pic)
  • then fill the remaining space with sliced onions
  • cover well and put in the oven at 110 degrees (celsius) for anywhere between 8 to 12 hours, tending to 12 hours if you can
  • look 1-2 times to ensure there is enough liquid and the onions don't burn but at that temp it's very unlikely

That's it :-)

The only step which takes a bit of time depending on your pot is slicing the onions. I don't even brown the meat before as that's not changing the flavor noticeably.

Oxtail is packed with gelatin and the bones release good nutrients as well so that's quite an healthy (if fatty) dish ;-)done.JPG

step 1.JPG

step 2.JPG

William Trask

So I'm working on Thrive 1.5 it's the version where I've been doing well and my wife is on board with the meals, so now we are trying to help our three kids Thrive.  

Tonights family dinner (simple and delicious):

Broccoli
Butternut Squash
Steak

IMG_3852.JPG

Luke Searra

Amazing meal and picture!

William Trask

Protein: Peanut Butter Chicken Skewers (peanut butter, soy, garlic, olive oil marinated chicken)
Starch: Potato Medley (red, yellow and sweet potato)
Veggie: Squash, Zucchini, Onion

Still working on our three kids (8, 6, & 4-yr old) for my dubbed Thrive 1.5. We are trying to discuss during the meal the "value" of each component of the meal. 

IMG_3858.JPG

Fabio Genesoni

Salmon with rosemary, white rice,chopped carrots, broccoli, pepper, string bean and onions.

 

IMG_20160810_215730848.jpg

 

Lavaret, white rice, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts.

IMG_20160814_201225673.jpg

Julia Quigley

For lunches this week I'm having eggs scrambled in chorizo sausage, sweet potatoes with cranberry and orange, and a slaw of cabbage/carrots/apples/onion with pecans.

image.jpeg

Ian Gibson

Thrive has forced me to start cooking for myself. This has become quite an adventure. I'm still learning a lot (like sweet and savory shouldn't have been mixed in this case) and I'm actually having fun trying new recipes. 

Tonight for dinner I had tuna patties fried in olive oil on a bed of baby kale with honey+cinnamon roasted sweet potatoes. Next time for a starch I think I'll try a different potato seasoning or rice. IMG_20160825_205702983.jpg

Julia Quigley

@Ian Gibson, that sounds good to me as-is, but with cooking, you really learn what you like and don't like! Good luck experimenting :) 

Ok, have to share the protein from my dinners this week. First time making it, but it is SO GOOD I will definitely repeat. Behold, chinese 5 spice chicken with organic blackberry sauce. The chicken spices have just enough warmth and depth to balance the sweet and slightly tart sauce. Sooooo good. 

 

image.jpeg

Ryan Bailey

garden .jpg

Love this thread. Preparing lunch and dinner today.

 Gonna miss this garden season as September is the final month for growing veggies here.

Cooked these purple beauties in venison fat. A bit of salt and everyone wolfed them down.  I wonder how many other people render their own fat or oil...

Looking forward to seeing more of your inspiring dishes!

-Ryan 

Julia Quigley

I have rendered my own tallow before, and loved it. But don't do it regularly :( 

I'm always interested in the idea of growing my own food--crop rotations, hydroponics, etc. is fascinating!--but I kill every plant I own. It would take a huge commitment I'm not sure I'm ready for :P

Ryan Bailey
42 minutes ago, William Trask said:

@Ryan Bailey awesome harvest! How much space do you dedicate to the garden? How productive is it relative to your weekly consumption?

I've been interested in grow more of my own food. Found this resource that I've saved for when I can actually commit to building out the garden. Talks about what plants are synergistic, crop rotation & timing.
http://modernfarmer.com/2013/04/how-to-turn-your-backyard-into-a-four-season-farm/?platform=hootsuite

@William Trask Thanks... and @Julia Quigley: nice hearing about your culinary skills.

Regarding space and production? I think I might start another garden thread after this year's fall harvest with more detail (similar to your article). That way we can really "dig" into the year's plans for a year's harvest. 

For my personal garden (s) , I tailored this year's food production and spacing towards the Thrive template. (Again, I'll share more if interested). For example, before breakfast today I casually harvested this:

greenveggie.jpg

This is half of the batch I collected. About 200, Thrive-Green Leafy vegetable servings for the winter.

Also, my other garden, the "starch garden", is looking like this:

starch.jpg

Consists of various squash: the summer veggie squashes, plus winter starch squashes of Acorn, Butternut, Buttercup, plus Purple and yellow potatoes, and sweet potatoes. 

I also have the egg set up I can show. I can write more detail later, but I will be stocking and hunting deer for the next few months;  And stretching of course!

-Ryan