Hi there,
I am not a gymnast and probably not going to be. However, I've picked up an obsession with various gymnastic strength exercises - pull ups, dips, and (in theory - can't do any yet) muscle ups.
I do a bunch of pull ups every day. I have a bar at home and am trying to "grease the groove", which seems to be working well so far.
Now I am concerned that I may be building up a muscle imbalance which may cause injuries and need for physiotherapy later on. For example, I read (here among other places) that if you only do push ups every day and nothing else, then you'll probably end up with an under-developed back which is no good.
I had been hoping that pull ups are such a "complete" upper body exercise that they are somewhat safe to do exclusively. Is this assertion true or do I have to add some other "opposing" exercises like push ups to the mix?
Do dips also count as "opposite" enough, such that I can just do pull ups and dips (and later combine both into muscle ups) and I'll be fine? To be honest I'd prefer to avoid push ups, so if you guys say I can use dips for
balance then I'll be happy, but I'm also going to take your advice if you say that 1.) pull ups exclusively will do harm and 2.) I do need push ups and maybe even some other exercises.
Right now I don't really have any training goals apart from doing lots of pull ups and eventually proceeding to the muscle up. I hope that this will build considerable strength and good-looking physique in the process (this seems to be happening already).
Thanks a lot for your time & I hope this is the right forum