This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS/PE8 Rep Count

Started by John Enyeart, July 3, 2016 · 6 Replies · 138 Views

John Enyeart

I was wondering, for HS/PE8 (Handstand Wall Run), does each touch of a hand to a shoulder count as one rep, or do you have to do both right and left touches to count as a single rep?

EDIT: I'm going to answer my own question with another question: Which rep counting scheme would you use if you wanted to develop the strength necessary for a 2 minute solid handstand and not just a wishy-washy one? (I'd still be interested in hearing what coach had in mind for the programming with this progression step, though :D)

Todd Sprenkle

John,

A search should easily provide the answer to your first question.

Each shoulder tap is a rep, so counting 30 taps on the left shoulder means 60 reps of wall runs.

Todd

John Enyeart

Thanks Todd.

 

By the way, for the search, I don't know if I'm doing it wrong, but when I type HS PE8, HS/PE8, or other similar variations into the search, I get zero results. What did you type in the search bar for it to show up?

Alessandro Mainente

For handstand wall runs the reps are equally divided  on the 2 arms.

Jon Douglas

To answer your follow-up question, after completing mastery these make an excellent warmup for handstands. A single set of 120 works well, or you can go for time; 10 minutes is a productive goal.

Todd Sprenkle

John,

For example, search in "This Forum" (Handstand One) on the following:

     "wall run" reps

 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Handstand Wall Runs by Coach Sommer

Found within Coach's initial post:

Quote

Performance Tips:
1) Be sure to perform HS Wall Runs in a comfortable location with enough room to roll out forward if necessary.
2) Begin by walking your feet up the wall and your hands into the wall.
3) It is not necessary to have the wrists go completely to the wall. Go as close as you can go, while remaining relatively stable.
4) Do not allow your back to arch while in the HS; keep flat and tight. This will prevent an excessive arch from straining your lower back.
5) From the regular HS position, shift to one side while lifting the other hand to the shoulder. The shoulder of the supporting arm will automatically extend strongly in order to keep you in the HS.
6) On each and every step the hand must touch the shoulder. If you are too fatigued to touch the shoulder, you are too fatigued to be in a one arm HS. Come down and rest until you are sufficiently recovered to begin once again.
7) If you are unfamiliar with the demands of HS training, I recommend that you begin with short bursts of effort in the 10-30 second range.

Another thread on the rep count for HS Wall Runs from May 2015                     

More on Wall Runs

For Shoulder pain during wall runs

I found first thread, by Coach Sommer, in the GB public forum area under the topic "Balance" the others were found while looking through the pages of previously started threads.