This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wall runs experience questions

Started by Maarten, February 25, 2015 · 12 Replies · 629 Views

Maarten

just started with wall runs and they are crazy hard.

I could only do 5 total and there is a BIG difference in shoulders.

Tapping right is no problem, left is super difficult.

 

Has this happened to other people with no experience in this exercise?

 

Also I have to hold my legs fairly wide to balance. Will this go easier over time?

Probably, but I'm interested in what other people experienced while doing the wall runs.

Thanks!!

Jon Douglas

I would think about putting some more time into wall handstands, good form w/ hands close to wall, before revisiting these :)

Alessandro Mainente

consider the idea to approach the weight-shifting progressively in this way:

- 2 arms wall handstand must be easier

- 2 arms wall straddle hs with little side flexion too feel some weight moves, this way will balance the difference between left and right

-  2 arms wall handstand with hips tilt to the side while holding the feet in the same position as normal handstand

-same exercise as before but not you are removing some weight from the other hand so that you can stay only on fingers

see photo below

 

This is not the only strategy, I use it with my kids, and kids are not the beast learner  in the worlds...they need to approach it progressively.

btw it works..maybe C. Sommer has better suggestion.

 

post-1151-0-42033900-1424862319_thumb.pn

 

 

Maarten

Thanks for your replies.

I'm going to check my handstand form again and, Alex, try your steps.

 

My first idea was to build it untill I can do 10 reps total.

Keep it on 10 and work on quality of movement and position untill I can keep my legs straight and don't feel any difference in the shoulderbalance.

 

From that point increase the reps.

bigB

For me, the first day it seemed really awkward and I got 15 reps total before falling.

The next workout  I was able to do 45. ( That was to much too soon, I had to slow down my progress to keep from hurting wrists. )

 

I think it's hard at first because your mind doesn't have any reference point for being on 1 hand.

piotro

I like your drawing Alex, especially instructions for step 2 haha.

Rayne-William

Granted, I am still working on the progression.

I started doing wall run shoulder taps while in push up position. I elevate my feet more when I can complete five sets of 30 repetitions.

 

I am finding the gradual load increase is better for my shoulders and wrists.

Micawberian
Rayne-William said:

Granted, I am still working on the progression.

I started doing wall run shoulder taps while in push up position. I elevate my feet more when I can complete five sets of 30 repetitions.

 

I am finding the gradual load increase is better for my shoulders and wrists.

Man, you just gave me a flashback to the good old WOD days. Back then some WODS would finish a workout with 10 minutes of HS wall runs and I would just do the pushup taps and call it quits at two minutes. I still cannot fathom that a human being can do 10 minutes of handstand wall runs. 5x60 alone is hell on earth, hand's down one of the hardest part of the course.

DonGray

At the moment I can't even imagine 60r, as I'm really struggling to build up work capacity with this exercise.  I'm stuck at 12 reps at the moment and struggling to keep my feet together, toes pointed etc.

 

I find that I'm gassing on this exercise and I have to stop at 10r to take a breath and prepare for the final 2 reps - it's hard to breath properly on this exercise.  I've been stuck on this quantity of reps for a couple of months now.

 

I've been sticking with 4 x 12r for 2 weeks, then I'd do 5x12r (week 3) and then the deload 5 x 6r..... but thinking about it, should I scale back and repeat the mini cycle - e.g starting with 3 x 6r?

Mats Trane

How did your Wrist wall HS go (HS/PE 11)?

DonGray

Huh? I'm not up to HS/PE11 yet.

I'm currently on 30 rep Wall handstand run is HS/PE8.  But if you're talking about HS/PE7 30 second handstand - yes I'm comfortable with 5 sets of 30secs.

dritar

Did 4x60r today. But wasn't satisfied as legs separated on a couple of reps. So here's a to a few weeks "refining" 4x60r :D.

Suzanna McGee
On February 26, 2015 at 1:55 PM, Piotr Ochocki said:

I like your drawing Alex, especially instructions for step 2 haha.

I know I am pulling out an old thread, but I am now working on Wall Runs, so reading everything I can… I found @Alessandro Mainente's picture, and laughed at the position 2… because what he described in the picture, that's how I feel "oh sh*t… weight here" :) hee hee, it's adorable… now I will always think about you Alessandro, when working Wall Runs.