Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So where are you guys getting the gymnastic rings

Andrew Wilkinson

Andrew Wilkinson

I guess I am the odd bird out as unlike most people here it seems I don't have gymnastic rings hanging from my ceiling or in my house.  Where are you guys getting yours and how do you install them correctly so you don't rip part of the ceiling out?  If not using true gymnastic rings how can I substitute.

Douglas Wadle

I hang them from a metal bar in my basement, and outside on a tree branch in my backyard.  If hanging from a ceiling, make sure they are anchored very well into a beam or joist.  Use lag bolts perpendicular to the floor instead of the rings pulling down in line with the lag bolts, if that makes sense.  

Bryce Hewett

I personally hang my rings off this Iron Gym door-frame pull-up bar.

The pull-up bar sort of wraps around your door frame and can be set up and removed in about 2 seconds and doesn't damage anything. I also use it for some of the RC iM's.

You can find rings through various places online. I have these wooden ones. They're a little thicker than is probably ideal, honestly. So you really want to look for rings that are FIG regulation size.

And if you didn't know, GymnasticBodies actually makes a lot of gear you can buy. So for instance, I'd actually recommend the Xtreme Rings straight from GB. They've been selling them since before all these new Foundation programs and such arrived and they've always had good reviews from people all over the internet from what I remember. At some point soon I'll probably be trading up myself.

I really like the feel of wooden ones, but the Xtreme rings are supposed to have a good texture to them that makes them really comfortable as well. Do a search and you'll find some reviews

Kevin Herring
On ‎6‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 8:26 PM, Douglas Wadle said:

I hang them from a metal bar in my basement, and outside on a tree branch in my backyard.  If hanging from a ceiling, make sure they are anchored very well into a beam or joist.  Use lag bolts perpendicular to the floor instead of the rings pulling down in line with the lag bolts, if that makes sense.  

Would you please elaborate to why perpendicular and not in-line?

Douglas Wadle

Imagine you place your lag bolt straight up into the joist.  Then really it is only the threads of the screw in the wood holding you up.  Now place lag bolt at a 90 degree angle to the dangling rings - now you have the entire screw and not just the threads counteracting the weight.  In the first scenario, the bolt could strip the wood and pull out.  In the second, you would have to break the bolt, or break the wood to get it out .  Hope that makes sense. 

Kevin Herring

Thanks Doug, makes sense but I'll not be able to do that in the room I'm going to use.  No exposed rafters.

I got the Rouge Fitness metal rings and the plastic ones from Garage Gym. The plastic ones travel better.  Not sure if Garage Gym even carries them anymore.

These days I'd look at the straps-buckle as much as the rings.  Ease of setup, durability.  It's the part more likely to fail-wear out.