Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Back/Stomach Facing Wall HS Difference?

rauelvick

Hi all; i am sorry if this sounds terribly elementary but what's the difference between the 2 kinds of Wall HS? I've been doing the Back Facing Wall HS and can hold it for 2 minutes but it seems that i am facing some balance issues when i try the Stomach Facing Wall variation. Anyone can enlighten me on this matter? Thanks! :D

Nick Van Bockxmeer

With the back to the wall variation, most people are tempted to arch the back to compensate for lack of shoulder flexibility.

With stomach to the wall, you are most likely encountering problems because you cannot fully open and extend your shoulder girlde whilst maintaining a straight body position.

Nickvb got it.

If your shoulder if not fully opened and is not flexed to 180 degrees, it in effect is planching the HS somewhat which makes it difficult to hold.

Hmm by opening the shoulder girdle fully; it means fully pushing against the floor so that your toes are as high as they can go?

Hmm by opening the shoulder girdle fully; it means fully pushing against the floor so that your toes are as high as they can go?

yes

yes

I may be wrong, but I believe "open shoulders" has to do with the amount of shoulder flexion. If your shoulders are not open enough then that means you have some shoulder extension (i.e. your arms are not in a straight line with the spine).

Truly open shoulders mean the shoulder angle is 180 degrees in a HS.

Pushing through the shoulders in a HS till the shoulders are in the ears is just having an "active" shoulder.

The toes will be highest, if the shoulders are 180 degrees and the spine is straight. Every flexion of a joint will take away from this height of the toes. With the image of pushing the toes as high as possible, one should reach a straight-line HS plus pushed out shoulders.