This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Mobility for sPL/SE1

Started by Desiree Walker, May 12, 2016 · 10 Replies · 364 Views

Desiree Walker

I'm working through Straddle Planche progressions - and stuck on the mobility of SE1>iM - Bent Arm Straddle Planche hold - 

It is a maximal strength issue - I'm not strong enough yet - but am mobile enough (can get in the position, but just can't hold it) 

Any one else get stuck on this mobility step?

The advanced frog stand - sPL/SE2 is easy for me - just can't get through the strength issue of this mobility

 

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 6.27.02 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-05-12 at 6.27.02 AM.png

Kate Abernethy

HBP PE3 taken to the limit will greatly assist you with this one :)

Alessandro Mainente

Scale down the exercise by practicing some bent arm tuck planche, with the time you can try to emulate the initial sPL mobility while holding the tuck bent arm planche. this will progressively build up the strength for the variation you cited.

James Kerslake

Im also seriously struggling with this. It's insanely hard for a mobility exercise. I think I'll be stuck here a while, any other tips on how to build up to it?

Christian Nogueira

I was stuck in this mobility for God knows how long. Like I've mentioned in another thread, what helped for me:

Pre-requisites:

  • Mastery of HBP/PE3. In my opinion, if you can't hold this position you haven't mastered HBP/PE3.
  • Previous sPL progressions, you really need to know how to protract and depress. While this position, for me hits the triceps and chest muscles hard, you need all the help your traps can provide. Also, the previous sPL mobility as this position is not tolerant for hip piking or bad leg extension.

Execution points:

  • While you need to build strength for this position, a lot of it is a really just balance. You balance over your centre of mass. When I hold position it's not so much pushing up as balancing. The trick is that you really need to realize that your hands need to be further back than you think they need to be. Much further. Much like the real planche, you should think of leaning into this position not pushing up. When you got it, it'll feel not so much as pushing up, but also pulling your body forward to prevent it from tilting back to your legs (or alternatively pushing back to prevent from hitting your face -- it's a balance).
  • The entry procedure. The way the GB athlete enters the position doesn't really work for me. Try to experiment with different ways of entering the position. For me what works is going to into a Planche Lean, making sure the scapulae are well protracted and depressed, bend the arms and lower carefully, not losing any tension and in the bottom lean a bit further till you're able to lift your feet. 

 

Stuff to work on

  • This is a physical skill, words cannot truly teach you. Don't despair, it'll come to you. I had months of not being able to hold the position, but I kept on trying. When I got it it's like something clicked. There's a trick to this position but you've got to learn it yourself.
  • If your pressing strength sucks, after doing Foundation, you could look into some further pressing work, something low rep. I did some weighted dips and I think they helped a bit. But I'd recommend looking into holes in your previous work before adding extra work (and don't let the extra work take the place of Foundation or interfere with recovery, think of it as dessert).

When you get it, finer points. (This is something I myself am working on).

  • Breathe in the position. Harder than it looks :D.
  • PPT, you'll probably get a bit of arched back when you start.

The good news, is that sPL/SE1 iM is the hardest. Once you have this, the following iM are not as big of a jump.

 

John Koliopoulos

All people having trouble with this just rushed HBP/PE3 and previous sPL/PEs... Then the next jump in progressions comes and everybody is crying xD. Get a camera and look at your form. 

What you have to learn about GST/Bodyweight training is you can cheat many many exercises; especially if you train for "ego" or simply aren't dilligent, this is a problem. And obviously it is also hard to measure progress sometimes. 

Take the frogstand for example, two ways of doing it: correct with full protraction/depression and little weight on elbows or nearly all weight on elbows, just leaning into connective tissue. Guess which one might build strength^^

With this one don't forget to breathe btw if you're struggling. Another way to make balancing easier is by using parallettes.

Ryan Hutchins

There is a lot of great and i mean detailed and great advice here. I simply don't understand the "this is too hard for me" principle. Is it lack of imagination or want of a fellow GB student to tell you it's ok and that they are there to give you a hug if need be. The question i want to ask is what did you do before you posted on this forum? Did you try 20 solutions out before you threw up your hands and posted on here. 

If my coach tells me to climb a rope with a 50 pound weight attached i'm gonna be working on that 3 days a week until i can do it. You aren't stuck. You are working. Work hard. 

Arpad Halasz

After reading the other threads that contain a lot of great tips, I managed to do it today but with straddle straight legs from the bottom position of a pseudo planche pushup for about 6 seconds. The odd thing is when I tried to bend my legs (bringing the feet above the knees) I crashed on the ground (pike at the hips and my knees dropped), I found it easier with straight legs; but it's only my 2nd sPL/SE1 workout so with a little more practice it will be fine.

Anyway, getting into the position from a PPP was really a great advice.

Arthur Wong

This one took a while for me to build up the strength/endurance to do it for mastery after the 30s frogstands... 

Now I've been on the next IM for a while now too with no progress. I just can't do the leg extensions... I find my form getting out of control with each extension. I went back to revisit the previous IM and I have actually lost my endurance/strength on it. 

Any supplementary exercises would be welcomed. I might just keep doing PPU since I can't handstand yet to advance further in HBP.

 

Thoughts on weighted dips or tuck planche push ups?