I did fine with the Prone 1/2 Straddle Planche Double Leg Extension and my Frog Stand is good, but I cannot come close to the Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold. Any advice?
Thank you.
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by TimB, August 13, 2015 · 8 Replies · 372 Views
I did fine with the Prone 1/2 Straddle Planche Double Leg Extension and my Frog Stand is good, but I cannot come close to the Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold. Any advice?
Thank you.
HBP/PE3, pseudo planche pushups should help you get cracking on the BAHSPH. Once you're getting used to PPP, you can do PPP+ for a while as a transition into BAHSPH.
PPP+ is pseudo planche pushup where you lift the feet momentarily in the position where you chin almost touches the ground.
Can you post a video please?
I recommend using band assistance under the hips. Also, Korean dips helped to bring them within reach (but to be clear, I haven't actually gotten to where I can hold a bent arm half straddle planche hold yet).
Can you do an elbow lever? I did the previous few IM's as elbow levers instead of using a bench for my body support. I think it helped build some of the chest and wrist strength and balance for the Bent Arm 1/2 Straddle Planche. I was only able to hold the real deal for about 3 seconds at a time when I first started....and successfully did 2x10s this week!
I found the cue of forgetting how far I thought I needed to lean most important. I also find it easier on parallettes, not sure if there's a reason or just a preference thing.
Read this, three page, thread: Bent Arm Half Straddle Planche Hold
One of my clients had the same issue of you.
the solution is work in parallel on 2 aspects:
-reduce the leverage. this means improve your side split and front split
-increase gradually the strength on the IM
to approach the second point I suppose you have a good confidence on tuck planche and PPP. so if you can hold a tuck planche you can easily perform a negative tuck pl push up
Said that you can use this progression that should be done on low pbars , something like 30 cm's:
-bent arm tuck planche hold (with elbows angle of 90°)
-bent arm adv tuck planche hold
-from bent arm adv tuck planche hold , slowly extend the legs into straddle and let your legs drop on floor. do it for reps (4-5)
-bent half straddle planche lean and hold (see the photo below)
Thank you Alessandro. I looked myself for a progression to achieve the bahsph. since I injuried my left elbow I can't perform these without pain in that kind of elbow flexion in the bottom position. I'm in tuck planche Progression now and don't have to cut down to lower iMs, which I already do for warm up ![]()