This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 1 Clarification

Started by Coach Sommer, May 12, 2016 · 119 Replies · 11,441 Views

Karen Mitchell

I am excited to start this program, and I have an injury I am nursing. I am 9 weeks in on an ex tensor tendon and sheath tear on my right (dominant) hand. I am unable to do pronated work with my hand for at least 4 more weeks. Can I modify the moves on my fists for now and then slowly integrate it into a flat pronated hand as I am able? I realize I might miss some opening/stretching in areas of the forearm/shoulders etc. Do you have other thoughts or options? Maybe using weight on forearms or elbows on a block?

Everett Carroll

Hi Karen,

The safest way to find out which modifications are safe is to ask your doctor. Certainly avoid anything that causes pain. We do have some medical professionals on here that may have more detailed advice for you. @Mark Collins @Wesley Tan

Mark Collins

Using the fists is a good temporary scale. Make sure you get some treatment somyou can get back on the hands.

Joey Locke

Hey. I'm a 44 year old desk-bound mom and I just finished the Day 1 videos. Before I started I put my feet together, locked my knees, and bent forward as far as I could to see how far down toward the floor I could reach. (I got to my knees and had to stop.) I did 15 minutes of truly pitiful crab and ape, resting as needed, for a total of about 6 sets. At the end of the 15 minutes I did the try-to-touch-the-floor maneuver again just for the hell of it. Much to my surprise, I had gained 4-5 inches reach easily. That was an hour ago. I tried it again just now and still have the 4-5 inches. Nice. Thanks, Coach. Looking forward to Day 2.

Christopher Marinelli

Thank you Coach Sommer for creating this program. I've been looking for something like this for a while now. 

I appreciate the linear approach you have incorporated here and know it will benefit me in the long term. 

As I've read several times in this post, the crab and ape are humbling. 

Looking forward to day 3!

Christopher

Lee Thomson
On 5/13/2016 at 6:26 PM, Tina Thompson said:

This is probably going to be such an obvious question but I'm gonna ask anyway...

My understanding is; we need to continue after the video ends and do the daily exercises for 15 mins (or thereabouts)? 
Thanks for asking this - I've just started today and was unsure as to the duration
Cheers,

Tina 

 

 

Everett Carroll

Hi Lee and Tina,

You are not required to do any additional work beyond the follow along portion in the day's lesson. The minimum we suggest is what is shown in the videos; anything beyond that is optional. More specific programming is provided in the courses that follow like Foundation One, Stretch, Handstand, etc. You certainly can to do more work than what the video shows if it feels within your current abilities but don't feel obligated to perform a specific amount of work at this time. Your GST will get harder soon enough ;)

Al Santerno

Humbled and very optimistic 

Timothy McNally

Hello,

I just purchased the fundamentals program which I will start tonight.  Back in October I had my third hip replacement due to some infection issues in the joints.  My reasoning for stating this is because I wanted to ask if there are any special exercises to build the muscles in my hip and leg because there is severe atrophy from lack of use.  Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thank you

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Timothy, I'm sorry to hear about your situation but if I can I will help you. Fundamentals it is a diagnostic course. it leads to personal knowledge about limitations so that later your can focus on fix them. For now simply enjoy and practice day after day and take note where are your limitations.

Gabriel Nunez

Big welcome to all those who came from Tim Ferris' podcast and those who discovered GB some other way. You guys have really stumbled on to the best program in the world. What Coach Sommers offers now is really top quality and something I wish I had when I first had nothing but his GB book and DVD set (back in 2007-8, i forget.. lol) having such a detailed, linear guide in Fundamentals, with an ever-burgeoning mastery presented in Foundations 1-4, mobility, handstand, stretch, nutrion and ring programs, everyone who follows this program faithfully will see results. As new programs come out that cater for those having a hard time jumping onto this train, I am glad to see that the days of my early toils and failures, have at least gotten me to a point where I can complete all these movements with ease.. lol..

now if I can only get past my rut at the end of Foundations 2.. lol

Jennifer Nielsen

Hello,

i just started Fundamentals this morning and like most, was humbled by Crab and Ape. One question, I watched the video about the common issues but with Ape I noticed that as long as I have proper form in hips and legs my fists don't touch the floor. If I put my fists on the floor, my butt sticks way up and I can't really walk. Is it more important to have your fists touch the floor or to keep your back flat and butt low to the ground?

i know you can post pictures here but seriously, my starting point is a bit embarrassing... Hope my description works.

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Jennifer, I think hat with hips and groin limitation the common tendency it is to lift the butt,can you post one of your attempt?

Suniel Basant

Hello,

Just started this morning and completely failed at the Crab! Based on Coach Sommers' previous statements, I now know I have extremely tight Biceps, Pec Minnor & Shoulders. 

 I'm wondering what I do now to address thees issues. Just keep following the Program? Are there addition things (i.e..stretches) I should be adding in? Now that I know my deficits, I'm really excited to get on the best path to correct them.

Luke Searra

Suniel,

just keep following the program and train consistently, regularly and diligently.

That being said, doing the handstand one course mobility will do wonders for your tight extremely tight Biceps, Pec minor & Shoulders. 

Suniel Basant

Luke,

Thanks for the advise.

 

 

 

 

 

Victor Rustandi

Anyone can tell me where to find the ape and crab for self-diagnostic tool. Thank you.

Everett Carroll

From the home screen:

  • Scroll down to the middle carousel titled "Multi-Class Series"
  • Click "Fundamentals" (image of guy lizard crawling)
  • Click Day 1, "Crab & Ape"
Michael Clay

Sorry if this question has been answered elsewhere but I'm having trouble finding the answer. Is there a list of what we should be following linearly as a beginner to find and correct out mobility issues?

 

Also, is the "workout" we are doing in fundamentals "enough" or can I do additional weight/calisthenic workouts in addition to these without impacting my mobility and pain resolution progress. My main goals are to fix my lateral pelvic tilt and shoulder pain/lack of mobility but I also want to stay fit/increase fitness. Currently my workout schedule is the fundamentals series and the restore series. But I'm not sure how I'll receive feed back from these and instructions for progression. Thanks for any direction in advance. 

 

Mickey 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Michal , adding more work depends on the issues you are talking about, if you have overhead limitations i would not insert to much work over the head until the shoulder mobility is restored.... Feedback can be received in the form of your exercises in the dedicated private section of the forum, in the subcategories "beginner".