This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 1 Clarification

Started by Coach Sommer, May 12, 2016 · 119 Replies · 11,441 Views

Coach Sommer

Welcome, everyone!

I would like to take a moment to clarify the purpose of the Day 1 movements.  

These are not a pass/fail exam.

These movements, and the others which will be forthcoming, have been selected to highlight mobility deficits which currently exist in your physical structure.  By identifying these deficits we can then begin to take progressive action towards their resolution.

My expectations are most certainly not for you to be able to hit the ground running and perform these perfectly on your first day.  That would be beyond unreasonable on my part.  And equally unreasonable on yours.

As diagnostics:

1) If you are struggling with the Ape, it indicates one or all of the following; tight knees, hip flexors, glutes and hamstrings.

2) If you are struggling with the Crab, it indicates that you have chronically tight biceps, pec minor and lack both shoulder extension mobility and strength.

For now simply explore and experiment with these movements.  Do not attempt to force anything.  Do not attempt to force perfection if you are not currently physically prepared to do so.  

Rather note the areas in which you are tight and struggling, keep them in the forefront of your thoughts and we'll begin to gradually correct these deficiencies with patience and consistency.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Tam Nguyen 179062

Thanks for the clarification. Is it possible to start the Foundation exercises alongside the fundamental exercises? 

 

Thanks

Lars-Christian Elvenes

Thanks, Coach.

Just started day one, and The Crab was certainly a humbling experience. This awareness alone makes the Fundamentals worth the purchase. Looking forward to begin the process of correcting my mobility deficits.

LC

Daniel Massey

I just joined from the Tim Ferris pod cast. I absolutely loved everything you said. But after signing up for this Fundamental series I realized it was not the Foundation Series that I thought (both words start with F, I know I am an idiot.)  I wanted to know if this series is the basis for the foundation series. I have shoulder mobility issues and know it will take some time to fix. From the podcast I have the understanding for the need to go slow... so should I do Fundamental then foundation?

 

Day one of Fundamental  was a struggle so I have a long road ahead.

Joe Swam

Thanks for the clarification Coach Sommer.

Brian Morin

Thanks Coach.  I would like to echo Daniel's previous post.  It was a challenge just getting into the Ape and Crab positions, let alone movement.  This is good to hear up front, because while I thought I was in decent "shape"... I realize I have a long way to go...

 

Scott Runkel

Thanks, Coach, great info!

Could you please put this type of info on the actual pages where the exercises are shown? I think what you wrote here today is incredibly important...really too important to put only in the forum where a few people will read it but most won't. Thanks.

Kind of similar with Day 2 -- There should probably be some note there on whether we are supposed to move from one to the next super fast as they do in the video, and perhaps explaining why.

I also came from the Tim Ferriss podcast -- your talk was fascinating and amazing. 

Daniel Hannaske
7 hours ago, Scott Runkel said:

Thanks, Coach, great info!

Could you please put this type of info on the actual pages where the exercises are shown? I think what you wrote here today is incredibly important...really too important to put only in the forum where a few people will read it but most won't. Thanks.

Kind of similar with Day 2 -- There should probably be some note there on whether we are supposed to move from one to the next super fast as they do in the video, and perhaps explaining why.

I also came from the Tim Ferriss podcast -- your talk was fascinating and amazing. 

I second that. I think such info is very useful. And to easily obtain it it would be great to have them on the correspending day pages instead of the forums.

Matt Harrigan PT, DPT

Thanks Coach Sommers,

As a newly minted DPT at 52 I have been looking for exactly this kind of body and mobility work to keep me in shape and younger than my years (thanks Tim Ferris). I've seen it all from Pavel before the kettlebell craze to gymnastic abs by Eddie Baran and tons more but I feel like this program will address the entire body's strength and mobility. 

Looking forward to working thru the course(s). Day one was an eye opener. I work with geriatric patients and I can see were the body goes if you leave it to its own devices.  And I see my kids hunched over their "electronics" and I know where that is headed! As they say the body follows the head!

Matt Harrigan PT, DPT

Coach Sommer
On May 12, 2016 at 10:23 PM, Tam Nguyen 179062 said:

Thanks for the clarification. Is it possible to start the Foundation exercises alongside the fundamental exercises? 

 

Thanks

Hi Tam,

My preference is for you to get your GST feet under you first before delving into Foundation One.

In the past this was not the case and too many people struggled with their entry to Foundation One.

 

To ease this transition that following has been implemented:

1) Fundamentals; the new GST onramp program.

 

In addition to Fundamentals, the following have also been added to the already outstanding content of Foundation One:

2) Technical videos have now been added to Foundation One for each of the 42 preparatory elements and each the 42 integrated mobility elements of Foundaton One.  These videos range in length from approx 1 minute to 3 minutes in length and cover each element in depth.

3) F1/Pro+ generated custom follow along workout videos based upon your current Foundation One progress.  Let me repeat that.  Pro+ generates daily custom F1 workout videos based solely upon your current progress thru F1.  There is literally no other program like it in the world.  The potential workout combinations which can be generated are well in excess of 10,000+.  

This backend complexity however has nothing to do with each of you.  As far as you are concerned, Pro+ simply generates custom workout videos for you to follow the GB instructors thru; rep for rep and set for set.   All with correct tempo, all with correct form, all accompanied by technical assistance and coaching.  As your strength improves, the Pro+ follow along workouts automatically generate new content for you to follow along with.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Coach Sommer

Thank you everyone and keep the good comments and suggestions coming!  Each time I see a consistent pattern emerging, I will adjust the course videos appropriately to aid the journey of those new students who come after you.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Wayne Smith

Thank you very much for all of this Coach!  I am finding the diagnostic section of your initial post very helpful and have been referring back to it regularly.

My issues with crab most likely stem from my previous focus on push ups, without balancing it with extension work.

Philip Bedwell

Hello Everyone!

My name is Philip and in 39 and living in London. I have a long a varied career in fitness with 22 years as a professional wrestler.

 

I simply can't lift heavy anymore and realised from seeing a lot of movement based videos I'd love to be able to control my body through a range of motions without pain or quickly fatiguing.

 

I listened to the Tim Ferris podcast then tried the free self assessment online. I could mostly get into the positions but holding them for any amount of time was VERY humbling. 

I enjoy a challenge though so I signed up to the fundamentals. Here's my first day with my ape and crab position.

 

I switched between the two positions with movement forward and rest when needed for fifteen minutes. The main things I noticed was my lower back started to tighten and I had to keep lifting my hips in the the crab and more forward lean in the ape as the time went on.

The other main point was that my glutes were SMOKED by the end of the fifteen minutes!

 

I'm very impressed by the professionalism of the course and looking forward to day 2.

Wishing all the trainees on here success!

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tina Thompson

This is probably going to be such an obvious question but I'm gonna ask anyway...

My understanding is; we need to continue after the video ends and do the daily exercises for 15 mins (or thereabouts)? 

Cheers,

Tina 

Coach Sommer

Hi Tina,

At a minimum attempt to do the follow along work with the instructors.  And then it is completely up to you whether or not you put in some additional practice.  

Note also that it is fine to pause the video if you feel that you need to take more time and move more slowly during the elements.

Don't feel pressured to perform for a certain block of time or a certain number of reps.  Just enjoy exploring the movements/stretches/educational materials and getting used to the GST curriculum.  We will be gradually ramping things up as the course progresses.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Anthony Engel

Hello All from Philadelphia.

Day 1 was tough for me even though I stretch almost every day. Mobilizing with either move was extremely difficult for me so I've just been doing them static for 2 x 10 sec until I build up strength & flexibility. Looking forward to Coach's follow-up interview with T Ferriss for a progress update.

Thanks.

Anthony

 

Gavin Routledge

Thanks for the clarification on how many reps etc.  At 46 I was relieved to be able to sort-of keep up with the two movements.  Aware my connective tissue probably isn't as strong as I'd like, so I'll take it slowly.  Looking forward to the rest of the program though.

Cheers

Gavin

MikeW Williams

Found my way here through Tim Ferriss as well.  Really love the structure of the program (diagnostics, start small, make it a practice and add things to the practice).

I am 50.  I don't know how that happened.  It snuck up on me. :)

I look forward working the exercises to become conscious to my form so I can maintain, and hopefully achieve, above average mobility for my age group from this point forward.

Feels good to have other friends on this journey.  Best wishes to you all.

 

 

Steven Pitsos

Excited to start this thing. Both the crab and ape were humbling. As an ex-bodybuilder/powerlifter and new CrossFitter as of January of this year I wanted to extend my mobility further than what my current gym was offering. Not bragging here... I can do ring muscleups, squat 405, DL over 500 and Clean and Press 275, but I feel I am in constant pain and one wrong move away from a major injury. After listening to the Tim Feriss Podcast and hearing how guys would blow out a knee after the smallest changes in their shoes I could see/feel that happening to me in the near future. My Patellar Tendon is in constant pain, I have a major problem with shoulder mobility and lower back tightens up at least twice a week. And so this is my attempt to fix my issues before I end up with a major injury. Already, just day one, I felt the tightness in my biceps and forearms dissipate and getting down into a proper Ape will be a ways down the road. Thanks for insight, looking forward to Day 2. 

Jean-Michel Lebeau

Coach, got any suggestions regarding extra exercises to facilitate our crab training? Got humbled pretty hard as well. 

Wayne Smith
1 hour ago, Jean-Michel Lebeau said:

Coach, got any suggestions regarding extra exercises to facilitate our crab training? Got humbled pretty hard as well. 

I have the impression that all the exercises that we need will be in this course and the foundations and other courses.

I have taken the approach that I am putting myself in Coach Sommer's hands, and am starting from square one with a beginner's mind.  We just need to follow along with the program and do as, and when.

As an adult it's not easy to accept starting at the very beginning, but I think it's worth it.

Matt Hall 184166
On 12 May 2016 at 11:12 PM, Daniel Hannaske said:

I second that. I think such info is very useful. And to easily obtain it it would be great to have them on the correspending day pages instead of the forums.

Similar to most on here  - joined following the Tim Ferriss show podcast. When you talked about the errors that are consistent in elite and amateur athletes (not to mention gym bogans and computer slaves like the rest of us) it confirmed all my suspicions about the "industry of strength" and how we destroy our bodies long term, for the short term gains of mass or shred. Look forward to being a strong, mobile human being through this programme. 

3 thoughts after day 1:

(1) I experience a lot of stiffness and burn in lower back, glutes and hamstrings. it would be good as part of the videos to explain what sort of pain/burn we should be expecting in which places, and importantly where we SHOULDN'T. 

(2) I know reps isn't important here, but like most people who buy into this - i like structure, timings and method. Even if it's a "do this for between 2 and 10 mins, in this order, doing these sets". For example, I spent about 20 mins where i did 3 times 20 secs holding each position, then 3 times doing the movement across the room and back. then 3 times hold 20 and move across the room for each. Is that too much/too little? Can you do too much/too little? It would be good to get guidance there. 

(3) I'm baking these exercises into my gym routine of day 1: weights, day 2: weighted circuits, day 3: cardio (with 15 mins stretching in each). Is that advisable? should i change my routine? should I do these exercises before or after those sessions? should I just do this and none of the rest of it? 

Thanks again for the eye opener!

Jason Rilley
On 5/12/2016 at 0:11 AM, Coach Sommer said:

2) If you are struggling with the Crab, it indicates that you have chronically tight biceps, pec minor and lack both shoulder extension mobility and strength.

I'm very early on to the program- day 3.  My crab was absolutely terrible, I could barely hold it for a few seconds and I couldn't get my arms parallel to each other.  I looked chronically pathetic.  When the four weeks are up, do we lose access to the program?  I considered myself athletic and healthy four days ago, but now I think I'm going to need more than four weeks to get the fundamentals down before I even consider moving on to the next level.  Is it OK to try the crab every day in hopes of improving?

Good news, I showed my kids how bad dad was in hopes they learn from my mistakes.   25 plus years of lifting weights and started jiu jitsu just two years ago and can't do a crab with good form!  Yet another humbling experience. 

Darren Rousar
Quote

 Is it OK to try the crab every day in hopes of improving?

Same question here, Jason. In my case, holding it is not an issue, but when in the Crab I cannot raise my midsection up to get my spine straight. My butt's not on the floor, but it's not much higher than my elbows either.

Rhaya Jordan

oh what a crowd of zombies we are!  That said my nagging neck pain seems a little better after one session deeply pathetic mutated crab.  I'm hoping that's a taste of a new freedom to be had at the end of the deep humiliation that is day one.