This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Day 1 Clarification

Started by Coach Sommer, May 12, 2016 · 119 Replies · 11,441 Views

Cole Dano

Lol, the crab big belly effect. Don't let it bother you it's the nature of the beast, but will improve a lot as your shoulder extension improves.

Jojo Colinares

Hi Coach!

I'm a little guy from Cebu, Philippines. Watched the videos just now after listening to Tim Ferriss' podcast.

I run every other day (5-8km) and do weights every other day as well for the past 2 months now. I'm now 46 and working full time from 8-5.

In the podcast, you said you were in HS with that "crush" of yours and started running with her and the elite runners even beyond 21 miles easily despite the fact that you haven't ran even a mile prior to that. You were even wondering why they needed a training in running (actually, that inspired me the most!).

Can I forget about what I'm doing now and focus on GST starting with the Fundamentals?

I'm here for the loooong term!

Thanks!

Jojo 

 

Everett Carroll

I also come from a running background and because of GST, I have become a better runner despite not doing as much anymore. I recommend you begin with Fundamentals but you don't need to stop running. Welcome to GB! Let us know if you have any other questions Jojo.

Chris Ridley

I've just got started, day one. A great start - I'm as bad as I thought and looking forward to the slow burn forward. Thank you.

Once question: I have super tight wrists / really limited movement there. I can't get my hands flat on the floor, not even close. I'm trying the variations mentioned and they help a bit. I assume just change wrist position to make sure there is no 'pain' at all? 

Is there anything I can do to help with this lack of wrist flexibility generally?

I've attached image to show how far back I can bend my wrists without adding weight etc. (Terrible)

IMG_4793.JPG

THANK YOU :) 

Cole Dano

Wow, that's a spectacularly tight wrist. 

You just need to start stretching them on a regular, even daily basis.

Out of curiosity are both hands as tight?

Alessandro Mainente

I would like to see if the problem is wrists or generally fingers flexor problem which can be masked by wrist limited extension. hold you wrist neutral and try to extend your fingers. if you cannot extend them up to 90° then the problem it is more related to fingers flexors.

Chris Ridley
36 minutes ago, Cole Dano said:

Wow, that's a spectacularly tight wrist. 

You just need to start stretching them on a regular, even daily basis.

Out of curiosity are both hands as tight?

My left wrist is not quite as bad as the right, I've had this problem a long time - and really need to make steps to sort it out!

What movement / exercises would suggest doing first?

Thank you. 

Chris Ridley
37 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

I would like to see if the problem is wrists or generally fingers flexor problem which can be masked by wrist limited extension. hold you wrist neutral and try to extend your fingers. if you cannot extend them up to 90° then the problem it is more related to fingers flexors.

That's interesting. Please can you clarify how to check this (sorry) - Am I starting with a flat palm (everything in line), and then bending all fingers at the knuckle towards my palm, trying to keep my fingers straight and all aligned? 

Sorry for the mega-noob questions,

Thank you. 

IMG_4794.JPG

Alessandro Mainente

This is fingers flexion, extension is the opposite.

Jojo Colinares
7 hours ago, Everett Carroll said:

I also come from a running background and because of GST, I have become a better runner despite not doing as much anymore. I recommend you begin with Fundamentals but you don't need to stop running. Welcome to GB! Let us know if you have any other questions Jojo.

Thanks Everett! I did my first day today and enjoyed it a lot despite the pain and awkward forms. The first 5 minutes gave me sweat that I couldn't get when lifting weights. I did it for only about 20 minutes.

I'll continue running but I think I'll go slow on, if not totally eliminate, lifting weights.

What do you think?

Chris Ridley
13 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

This is fingers flexion, extension is the opposite.

Ah OK - that makes more sense.

So here's a pic of my arms / wrists flat on the wall, so you can see how far the fingers can naturally bend outwards. Worse with my right hand by far. If I add force to my left hand fingers, they go back to about 45 degrees, but not really more than 30 degrees on my right. 

Thanks for your help, it is much appreciatedhands.jpg

 

Cole Dano

 

10 hours ago, Chris Ridley said:

My left wrist is not quite as bad as the right, I've had this problem a long time - and really need to make steps to sort it out!

What movement / exercises would suggest doing first?

Thank you. 

There are a number of variations on but the one way is to use one hand to stretch the other.

You'll do two types of stretches, one that targets the fingers, one that targets the wrist.

Bellow is an illustration of the wrist stretch done in two directions (supinated and pronated wrist)

Pnxot9h.png

 

You can stretch the fingers in isolation or in combination with the wrist

Bellow is a combination image, to do in in isolation, just keep the wrist straight.

J0VxV0d.png

 

Everett Carroll

@Jojo Colinares At least go really light on them. If you plan to proceed with Foundation 1 and other courses after Fundamentals, I don't think you need to keep weights in at all. Just focus on Fundamentals and some cardio.

Ian Skellern

Is it recommended that we warm up before starting the Crab and Ape exercises or are those  exercises the warm up? If not what type of warm up is recommended?

Dustin Lord

A good warm up is to do a minute of jumping jacks and 30 seconds of very light jogging in place or around the room if it is big enough.

Coach Sommer
On August 19, 2016 at 1:32 PM, Chris Ridley said:

My left wrist is not quite as bad as the right, I've had this problem a long time - and really need to make steps to sort it out!

What movement / exercises would suggest doing first?

Thank you. 

Hi Chris,

The Handstand One course is full of wrist prep progressions.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/training/

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Mats Trane

For sure get the HS1 course. Stretch your wrist often! Do it throughout the day. At your office desk, watching tv etc

KATRINA HALBIGWAMPLER

I'm just starting Fundamentals today! I have been struggling with mobility issues for a long time and boy, it has become particularly apparent in the last 6 months as I have started training in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

My question is this - I know I have a long road ahead of me. Should I still do each days lesson as one day, or would it make sense to slow it down and do day 1 for 3 days, as an example. 

I think Coach said on Tim's podcast that it took a long time to break it and it's going to take a long time to fix it - and I think I'm pretty broken so I'm ready to work slow and steady to fix me! 

Thanks! 

Alessandro Mainente

It is recommended to follow day after day.

Juliette Prouse
On 6/11/2016 at 1:11 PM, Lusmila Mccoll said:

Hiya Coach!

 have a structural issue: I have extra-long arms so, in Ape, I cannot extend my arms straight down in front, without raising my buttocks. The only way i can do ape with a straight arm, is to have my arms about few inches out in front. I just physically do not have normal size arms, my arms are about 3" longer. I hope this is not going to affect my ability to progress in the course....

Hi all

I just discovered GST and so am a little late to the party. My type A personality has me questioning the speed of progression after only Day 2 but I will trust in the process. I do Bikram yoga and mountain bike so I am quite flexible and strong in parts but I am concerned that as I get older (I'm 45) my balance, core strength and flexibility are not being cared for enough. I too have long arms. In Bikram, this helps (touching the floor etc is pretty easy!), but in Ape it makes me feel very awkward. Looking forward to watching my progression throughout the course and moving on to Foundations. Any suggestions for us long armed ladies?!

Alessandro Mainente

It is fine, the first goal of the Ape position it is a good exploration of the groin and ankles region. I would not put too much interest on the fully locked arms for now.

Nicholas Newton

Hey Coach,

As a 39 year old who has gone back to school to study medicine, too much time in the library has been taking its toll. I used to be in the military and thought I was 'fit'. Well, day 1 fundamentals has changed my mind! The crab was torture! I too am looking forward to trusting in the process, following your programme and regaining proper function! No more excuses! 

 

Question - am I jumping ahead by thinking of doing any other part of your system before finishing fundamentals? Or could I say, go for the stretching material also?

Mark Collins

You would benefit greatly by starting the stretch series.

Edward Onny

Do you suggest a warmup before going into the crab and ape?

Everett Carroll

Hi Edward,

A light cardiovascular warmup consistency of things like easy jogging, jumping jacks, or cycling will be plenty. As you progress through Fundamentals,  you can physically review the previous lessons along with a light cardio warmup before beginning that days lesson.