Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Spotting Belt & Lines for Partner Acrobatics?

Jonathan Nowacki

Jonathan Nowacki

I want to buy a set of lines for spotting partner acrobatics.  I just got back from Circus School so I know how to use them.   Any recommended models, brands, etc out there?

The guy at the school just had rescue pulleys, 13mm static line and a random belt from a gymnastics supply company.

Jonathan Nowacki

I'll ask the teachers.  But the devices listed is what we used... and was brought by a student. 

I  tend to ask around as different people have different knowledge.

Fabio Pinna

Keep in mind that the difficult part with these apparatuses is not only using them as a spotter, but also knowing how to rig them. It's not entirely intuitive, and a bad rigging can severely compromise the safety of the equipment. The most severe injuries in flying disciplines always happen when relying on compromised equipment. Please do your research on how to safely install and operate an harness rig, in case you haven't already.

With that out of the way...

You most likely used an Unicycle belt. You can find the various belts here http://www.unicycle.fr/securite/ceintures.html and lines and general rigging here http://www.unicycle.fr/securite/longes-de-securite.htm. Other famous brands are Gymnova, Ditta Fonti, Dima Sport, and Eurotramp. Their price is easily 3x the one of Unicycle - but the quality is also much, much higher. Unicycle belt is around 100€, while the Fonti belt is around 300. Guess why? You will also need to add to that the cost of the attachment points on the ceiling, which can be significant. I'd advise against rescue pulleys and carabiners - they're lightweight so they can be carried to difficult places, and are designed to be used not very often. Look for steel pulleys and steel carabiners, it's much cheaper and safer.

• Upvote 3