Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

X Vest recommendation!

kickwell

Hey guys! Longtime lurker, first time poster. I feel I finally have something to contribute! I had recently built my weighted muscle ups to 50 pounds (good grief I was excited) using conventional ankle weights. I had been putting off buying a weighted vest due to monetary concerns - but I had run out of room on my legs for weight! I ended up purchasing the X Vest, and it's great! If you've considered getting one I recommend doing it sooner rather than later. I hadn't realized how much of the load was being taken on by my hip flexors and core; now that I have the vest I've had to go back to 40 pounders. Save yourselves the time and effort! Good luck and good training everybody!

Wow, it looks great but it costs a fortune! I could really benefit from it I think, but right now I'm not very strong anyway so I think I could hold off on it.

Richard Duelley

You really only need the vest if you are weighting dynamic movements like jumping SLS, muscle ups or anything else where holding a plate or dumbbell would be awkward or impossible. Right now I just hold plates in my hands for the weighted SLS work, but I am not to a point where I can jump with weight. For the muscle ups, if regular muscle ups get to easy just strive to not lean forward and try to keep the rings out away from your body, that should keep you busy for quite some time :mrgreen: I am currently working on my wide muscle up and when I really work it I can barely get 3 in a row while regular muscle ups I can easily do sets and sets of 5+ with little problem. There are many ways to dramatically increase the difficulty of a movement (especially for beginners or even intermediate athletes) that does not involve adding weight.

Sam - It DID cost a fortune! It makes me wish everyone lived closer so we could share. If you've got friends training with you then perhaps you could all pitch in?

And Nifty is right - there are definitely steps between regular muscle-ups and weighted ones, and they'll most certainly keep you busy! :D I would suggest that while you work through them, you put aside 5 dollars here and there in anticipation of what is to come. Keep working smart, guys!

Here is what I did to make my muscle-ups more difficult - ate desserts and took a lot of rest. It is like a weight vest that you never have to take off, and helps to keep you warm.

I plunked down for the x-vest a while back. It is pretty cool, but many of the moves in BTGB program are still beyond my ability with my own bodyweight, so I don't get as much use out of it. The best thing I have used it for is for foot-supported rows under the rings. It is hard to keep a plate on your chest and balance it there. Also, explosive push-ups are fun with the vest. Frankly, though, I think there are other things that should come first, like the rings, a bar, parallets, a mat.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking of selling my old textbooks to the school book store to get a little money back towards the vest, because right now I'm using the textbooks for weight. I find that using weight is great for making easier exercises more difficult to build necessary strength to move on to the next progression. I'm still shocked at the price of the vest, seems worth it though.

• 3 weeks later...

Is the 40lb Xvest good, or is it better to wait until I have money for the 80lb vest? There's a sale right now which will give me enough money for the 40lb vest, will this be good for leg work, like squats and plyometrics? I've been have to put textbooks in backpacks and it's not as easy, and I've just sold off a bunch of textbooks I was using as weight and looking to replace them. Any opinions on the 80lb vs. 40lb vest?

What's the difference in price?

I know for weighted SLS, 40lbs would not be enough but I have a BB I can use. It also probably wouldn't be enough for weighted deck squat jumps (I use DB that I just hold onto).

I can't imagine using more than 40lbs for the upper body exercises unless you ever get into very heavy weighted pulls and dips where the extra 40lbs would be useful.

You're probably right. There's a $100 difference in price, but everything is 20% off through the 31st. I would like to take advantage of the 20% off, but not sure if I can afford the 80lb vest, although it seems like it would make the most sense.