Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

increase the grip on extrem ring

ashita

Chalk, chalk, and more chalk. Regardless of the manufacturer or type of ring, or bar, for that matter, sweat will always make for a slippery grip. As I train outside in my garage during the summer, when it can be 100 degrees plus, sweat has been a problem. My solution was to towel off before each set, and apply a lot, lot, lot of chalk prior to each set, especially muscle ups. I picked up my chalk at an REI store.

Joshua Naterman

HAHAHA, look. Chalk costs 3 bucks. If you can't or won't do that, you don't deserve success in training. As a POSSIBLE free alternative, since you are insisting on pinching pennies, take a handful of dirt and rub it between your palms. Oldtime lifters did that before chalk was readily available. it is not in any way comparable to the chalk, but it's better than nothing.

Something to note that is interesting, is my GB rings have chalked caked into them somewhat because of the texture and my boys are chalking their hands for the high swinging rings before they go use the low rings for skin the cats or supports.

I used dirt before I had chalk. A cheap way to have more chalk than you need is to buy a sheet of dry wall and pound it into chalk. I think it's about the same thing as real chalk.

• 5 months later...
I bought those "other" rings before Coach Sommer came out with his, and I put tennis racket grip on mine.

I am thinking of something similar. Its as if my skin is gonna be ripped off by the texture of the rings.

Longshanks

I used ice hockey grip tape. Only costs a few quid and works a treat, although you get the black come off onto your hands as you sweat. Not sure if it'll be a a bit too good a grip when I get strong enough to do things were you change hand position though. Cant imagine that'll be a problem for me an time soon though

Stewart Whaley

I added tennis grip wraps but need to replace them because getting worn out.

On a side note, did anyone see the ring problems they had at the men's NCAA championship? I caught it on ESPN the other night.

The left-hand ring snapped in half during a dismount then the replacement pair caused all kind of grip issues.

Not finished watching the DVR yet, but at least 3 guys lost grip on the new pair and were given option to do their routines again later in the meet.

Yeah, I saw it. New equipment always has those problems with slippage issues.

I think most people's hands are just too soft. I have callouses but I wouldn't say I have rough hands. The women in Georgia used to tell me they wish their hands were as lubricated as mine. They said it was like slip n' slide though I don't generally have problems with sweaty hands or feet or slippage.

Joshua Naterman

WOW, I have absolutely no idea what to say to that. :shock:

Chalk is cheap, I use small amounts as I am at home and do not want it going everywhere, my tub was €5.50 and it doesn't even look like I have used any, it will last years. You can get strong antiperspirants too, 20% aluminium chloride, brands I saw are drichlor and perspirex, it is the same stuff as in regular antiperspirants only far stronger concentration, it also has no smell or residue (no white stains on armpits of clothes) and lasts for days. Follow instructions if you get it, it can cause burns and would sting like hell on broken skin.

Hah. Man, I wasn't even thinking of that. :roll:

In the south, many of the older ladies I worked with had dry skin and had to use moisturizer (they were also of ethnic heritage).

Don't worry Liz, you don't need to nor evil will, err ever.

Udder balm, it's not just for rips...