Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Engg Physics & Math: Positions of Maximal Load & Leverage on a Stall Bar?

ASForum

Engg Physics Math: Positions of Maximal Load & Leverage on a Stall Bar?

I have some friends who were helping on computing maximal load "incident" on a Stall Bar rung in certain positions by a Human being? 

Why? - We're looking at the possibility of using some light weight & inexpensive materials for DIY stall bars, that is known to be rather strong, but we'd love to do the math before we go that way. 

Factors: Weight of person  - X
Positioning: Leverage angles and positions

Attached is one example position. I am guessing a Human Flag would have a high leverage as well. 

Can you share/ think of some high force/ leverage positions? {With images from the open web?}

We'll attempt to compute and get back. 

mmpRQ - Stall Bar - Load Leverage Calculation from DIY SE_cr.jpg

Edited by AS

Coach Sommer

I never recommend using lightweight materials for equipment.  Always use the strongest you can find.  And then overbuild.

Much better to overbuild and never need the additional strength, then to underbuild and find out the hard way that you should have overbuilt.

I still chuckle about a video where a guy's homemade pull-up bar flew apart in the middle of a set of giants.  Luckily for him his sudden gift of flight ended in a snowdrift.  I assume he lived.  

His error?  He  had used a couple of screws and a bracket to bolt the bar to his 4x4 posts.  :facepalm:

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 4

Jon Douglas
16 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

I never recommend using lightweight materials for equipment.  Always use the strongest you can find.  And then overbuild.

Much better to overbuild and never need the additional strength, then to underbuild and find out the hard way that you should have overbuilt.

I still chuckle about a video where a guy's homemade pull-up bar flew apart in the middle of a set of giants.  Luckily for him his sudden gift of flight ended in a snowdrift.  I assume he lived.  

His error?  He  had used a couple of screws and a bracket to bolt the bar to his 4x4 posts.  :facepalm:

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Saw that. Hilaritragic :)

Fabio Pinna
On 8/4/2016 at 7:25 PM, Coach Sommer said:

Tragic, amusing to watch (in a perverse way), and teaches you what NOT to do. Does it get more enterTraining than that? :P