Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Basic exercises to work entire body?

Guest lschmidt

Guest lschmidt

Hi,

I've already got a solid base of fitness from 10 years of competitive swimming. I don't have any problem with standard pullups, pushups, dips, etc. I've read so much about the strength gains possible through these gymnastics exercises that I'd like to start supplementing my triathlon (I'm now an ex-swimmer) training to build whole-body strength and core strength. Hypertrophy as a side effect (if that is one), is also welcome. Here is what I've come up with as a starting point for goal progressions to work the entire body without overdeveloping any single part of my body:

Legs

Pistol squat progressions

Hamstring Curls and Glute-Ham Raises

Rest of the body

Floor Planche Progressions

Bar Front Lever Progressions

L-Sits

The eventual goals here would be weighted pistol squat jumps onto a box (for power) and regular weighted pistols (for reps/endurance), floor planche pushups (reps/endurance), front lever pullups (reps/endurance), and a walking L-Sit (reps/endurance), and also reps/endurance for the hastring curls and glute-ham raises.

Again, I'm looking for which "basic" gymnastic exercises would be best to start working towards, with emphasis on working the entire body evenly. Please let me know what I should add or take away from the above exercises.

Thanks!

i know this is a gymnastics site, but the ultimate in whole body exercises is the overhead squat.

Have you checked this yet?

http://gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=343

Handstand progressions and variants should be there in somewhere. Same as depth jumps and block jumps. Muscle-ups could be in there somewhere just like dips and pullups ( which rope climbs can suffice ). Instead of dips, you can do pseudo planche pushups or HSPU.

Coach Sommer

With regards to the OHS; yes for a weight lifter it is one of the ultimate exercises. However for a gymnast, that ultimate exercise would be a press handstand variation.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Guest lschmidt

So let's say in addition to what I originally posted, I add in:

depth jumps (what are these anyhow?)

block jumps (what are these?)

handstand progression

pullups

pseudo-planche pushups

front/back limbers

Would I then have a complete-body set of exercises?

PS What's a press handstand and what's a HSPU?

PPS For pseudo-planche pushups, when you are at the bottom of the pushup motion, what angle should your forearm be at (relative to the ground)? Like perpendicular, or angled slightly forward towards the head?

williamprowse

I KNOW, AB WHEEL!!!!

i would defiently put some forearm work into that workout regime

pistols seemed more of a flexibility issue for me when i first did them and not a strength issue, try stretching everyday no matter what

drillsandskills.com has got an AWESOME conditioning section for gymnasts building up from nothing

Depth jumps are jumping from a height and sticking it in a squat position, preferably knees at or slightly above parallel.

Block jumps are jumping up to a height and back down. Start off around a 2 foot block and work from there. You can either land on the ground and jump off your forefoot or a squat. Same with the top of the height.

Rope climbs are fine for grip strength.

aw0n0, unfortunately many gymnastic facilities lack in equipment to do any of the Oly lifting. It can be difficult to program due to space, " children, " cost, and having a knowledgeable coach onhand.

For pseudo planche pushups. Start your hands from your ribs to your waist.