Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Handstand 1 equipment requirement?

Kevin Easton

Kevin Easton

I was at a local sport store and they had a bar for $50 and weights were about $ 1.25/ pound

This isn't a ton of money, but at this point I would guess 20lbs total would be all I need.  I'm strong, but my mobility in the shoulders is going to hold me back.  

Anyonr have a cheap effective DYI equipment hack for H1?

Fabio Pinna
4 minutes ago, Kevin Easton said:

And how do you add weight?   

Some PVC pipes are inexpectedly strong, and you can hang a gallon bottle with water or sand in it. Instant ghetto barbell!
I wouldn't go higher than 20-25lbs, but to start training on a budget (or during travels) it can be convenient. If you're afraid about it breaking, just stick two pipes one inside of the other.

• Upvote 1

Jonathan Kachlon
15 hours ago, Kevin Easton said:

And how do you add weight?   

I use ankle weights that were very cheap and wrap them around the middle of the dowel. You can use sand inside of it as well or as Fabio said if you're worried it's not sturdy enough for the heavier loads you can put another smaller pipe inside, metal or PVC. Make sure to also get the caps or lots of duck tape to keep that extra bar from sliding out.

• Upvote 2

Kevin Easton

I was thinking about doing the sand option inside PVC.   Probably the cheapest option, just wondering if it would be heavy enough.

what diameter PVC are you guys using?  Too small and you can't add enough weight.  Too big and it's hard to grip.  1.5" or 2" ?

Fabio Pinna
7 minutes ago, Kevin Easton said:

I was thinking about doing the sand option inside PVC.   Probably the cheapest option, just wondering if it would be heavy enough.

what diameter PVC are you guys using?  Too small and you can't add enough weight.  Too big and it's hard to grip.  1.5" or 2" ?

Uhm. I feel like I have been misunderstood. I hang a water bottle from the pipe, then put either water or sand in the bottle. You definitely can't fit enough sand into a pvc tube to make it of a good weight. Maybe if you fill it with concrete... but then again, I'd rather be able to decide how much weight I want on it every time.

I used 30mm PVC pipe, with a 3mm wall. It's pipe designed to lay electrical lines inside walls. It's basically the same thickness as a weightlifting barbell. 6 meters come at about 3€. My hardware store gave me an 1mt piece for free.

But again, use what you have at hand. One time I was traveling and staying in an hotel, so I took my dress belt, ran it through the seat of a chair, and did shoulder extensions holding the belt with the chair as a weight. Not optimal but better than not training, and also I was quite amused at the solution I came up with.

Ankle weights are a good idea and can often be found for very cheap, although once you decide you want to buy things, might as well buy the real things - they can be had for very cheap from yard sales, ebay, craigslist, wallapop, etc. Here in Europe, Decathlon sells a 20kg dumbbell kit for 50€, new. A bit expensive and not enough for weightlifting endeavors, but plenty good for mobility work and loaded bodyweight exercises in general. Can be found used at half price, and 20kg of cast iron are basically eternal, and will serve you for a very, very long time. A 5kg cast iron disc will cost around 8 euros (again, new).

• Upvote 1