Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Yan Mingyong is coming back Tomorrow!!

Wangtang6911

Hey everyone,

Yan Mingyong is coming back to the shanghai gym tomorrow! He is going to be doing light workouts here for a little while. I am really psyched that he is gonna be here!! I will definitely get lots of pictures and videos!! Hope to keep you all updates!!

Peace!

Chinese%20Gymnast%20Yan%20Minyong%20qualifies%201st%20on%20Still%20Rings%20at%20the%202009%20Worlds.jpg

Richard Duelley

Awesome! Make sure to ask tons of questions and learn as much as you can from him and whoever he brings with him (trainers and such)!! Its not every day you get to train with a world class athlete!

I am SO jealous! :mrgreen:

That's so cool,man!

I'm already subscribed to your channel, so when you put new vides up, I'll watch them.

That's so cool,man!

I'm already subscribed to your channel, so when you put new vides up, I'll watch them.

How did that picture come up on my post!? Unfortunately, Youtube and facebook in blocked in China!! :evil::evil::evil: If you can think of any other way to post them, I will try it!

Man, Yan Mingyong was not at all like what I expected!! That kid is the most sensible and level headed person I have ever met!! He is actually kind of quiet!

The way I see my training, I am pretty wreckless and insensible when it comes to rings. I will train when it hurts, do stuff ,without warming up, and hit like 5 or 6 sets of strength each day.

I asked him for some tips on how to train and what his training was like and he was the complete opposite of me! This kid spends 40 minutes to an hour just warming up! This kid really cautious about everything he does and when we spoke about training rings, he mentioned protecting your shoulder from injury every 2 minutes or so! He doesn't train strength skills directly, like maltese, cross, invert cross, etc either. Instead he told me to focus more on the smaller supporting muscles that will help hold the skill. He does sets of 3 for each workout, but with very high repetition for rings strength. I asked him about the weight belt thing and he says he does that once or twice a week with a 10kg belt at most. He trains rings strength directly only twice a week and the rest of the time, he is training the supporting muscles of the shoulder.

He looks like a really jacked little kid though! His upper arms are humongous!! His upper arm is easily 15 to 16 inches and he is probably 5'2" or 5'3". His whole upper body is humongous but everything below his waist is TINY!! One thing that really stuck out to me was the size of the front part of his deltoid!! Like his front shoulder, the part where the shoulder and pectoral meets, is just abnormaly huge on him!! What a guy!!

Sorry to disappoint but I don't have any videos of him doing anything. Like I said, he is so cautious, he didn't even get on an apparatus or anything! Just stretched for like half an hour, jogged on the treadmill for half an hour, did shoulder strengthening for like 45 minutes, and then just stretched his shoulder out for another half an hour! Hopefully, he will do something tomorrow! It seems like all this strength is a gift that god just dropped into his lap for being a good person or something!! Oh well, here is that picture I promised hehehe. He looks taller than he actually is in the picture. I am 5'5" and he had shoes on in this picture.

David Picó García

Great info! :D

did shoulder strengthening for like 45 minutes

And could you extend more on what exercises he was doing? :mrgreen:

Sick. Nice picture.

Honestly, I don't think he has to work on much strength at all since he has the skills already. If I had the strength to do that stuff it would make a lot of sense to just focus more on injury prevention much like Jordan Jovtchev does.

Ask him, if you can, what he did to develop the strength as he worked up to cross, maltese and then such combinations. It may be a bit different than what he does now I would think.

I would also like to know how he developed his strength moves, like ironcross.

What exercises was he doing to strengthen the smaller muscles? Thanks for telling is this info.

Sorry for the lack of info guys. I didn't ask him too much or didn't really get a lot of time to talk with him because I didn't want to come off like a 15 year old groupie. He was cool enough, however, to work with me and show me some good exercises for ring strength.

It is true, he trained ring strength every day when he was younger, around 18 to 21, and now he has just stepped back and started thinking more about long term and keeping his shoulders healthy. He does a lot of bench press and curls with just regular weights. He also does a lot of stretching. One thing that I did notice him doing for like 20 minutes, was just taking a light theraband and wrapping it around a pommel and just rotating his shoulder while grabbing the band to add resistance. Other than that, he didn't do much else except for just regular stretching and jogging on the treadmill.

He told me that for things like cross pull outs, he will do a set of 10 or so and do 3 sets of that without spot. And he will also do spotted drills of maltese press to planche or invert cross and get 3 sets of 8 or 10 in with that. He did say for people that can already hold a skill, to not do any drills like the cross pull with your feet on a block or maltese presses with your feet on the block because it activates the wrong muscles and do not simulate what it will be like on the high rings. He also does a lot of lateral raises and the exercise where you lay flat on your back on a bench and lower the weights down to your sides like a maltese and presses back up. Again, he does 3 sets of 10 for that and he says he uses 15kg plates on that one.

That's all we really talked about. The rest of the time he was saying how me wanted to buy a house in Shanghai and how he has a dog and stuff. I will ask him more today while I'm in the gym!

Seeya guys!!

Nic Scheelings

This is a great thread tho, really interesting to know how much joint prep he really does, makes me think I should step up my own :D

Thanks a lot for posting

Hayden Whealing
This is a great thread tho, really interesting to know how much joint prep he really does, makes me think I should step up my own :D

Thanks a lot for posting

When I read about how jotchev is still at olympic level, thats when i started to increase my joint prep. this thread encourages me just as much :wink:

David Picó García

Me too, i buyed his (jovtchev) warm up DVD and since then my warmups are really different from what i was doing and my joints and muscles are ready for hard work from the the first set on rings. You feel like you are already training while doing warmup and before it was more about doing some movements to quickly start heavy training.

This is especially important for those that have past the twenty's.

Nothin....................

sorry guys, I couldn't get anything. Yan Mingyong was just in the gym warming up a little bit for when he goes back to Beijing. In short, here is what I learned from him today:

- Warm up very well before training rings

- Work supporting muscle groups more than working large muscles

- Exercises he told me to do a lot of were bench press, curls, rope climb, and wall handstands.

- He has a dog (some kind of shephard), a cat, a bird, a hamster, and a turtle! That guy loves animals.

Sorry guys. I was even let down because I was excited to see his back lever press to maltese. :cry: Maybe he will do more on Chinese New Years when he comes back!

what does his warm up look like?

what kind of bench does he do? bar or db? back flat or powerlifting style? does he do 3x10?

what kind of curls does he do? bar or db? reverse, hammer or ...? preacher or standing? does he do 3x10?

sorry if i sound like a 15yr old groupie lol

what does his warm up look like?

what kind of bench does he do? bar or db? back flat or powerlifting style? does he do 3x10?

what kind of curls does he do? bar or db? reverse, hammer or ...? preacher or standing? does he do 3x10?

sorry if i sound like a 15yr old groupie lol

No sweat! His warm-up is like a 20 minute stretch followed by 10 minutes of him dicking around with a 5 kg plate. When I say dicking around, I mean he rotates it around with his arms locked out to thoroughly warm up his shoulders. That kid stretches like crazy!

He just does a standard bench press. I don't really know what powerlifting style is, but it sounds kind of cool haha. He also stressed to me that it's important to do curls from all positions to strengthen the entire bicep.

He also does like 30 minute run at the end of his practice on the treadmill followed by more stretching and more shoulder work!

An interesting guy!

PL style is where you hammer your feet into the ground, arch your back but keeping your butt on the bench and squeeze your shoulder blades together to get your chest as high as possible.

PL style is where you hammer your feet into the ground, arch your back but keeping your butt on the bench and squeeze your shoulder blades together to get your chest as high as possible.

And drop bar to the chest :mrgreen: