Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Muscle Strain? or something more/less?

Alexander Castiglione

Alexander Castiglione

Hey Everyone, 

So i know this is a bit vague, but I was at a proper gymnastics gym (ironically) and was stretching in the pancake position, a position i can usually get chest to floor in - and I shifted from side to side a little, and felt/heard a pop, right below my glute but in towards my groin, whatever muscle that is. Not quite hamstring, not quite groin, and I know I'm doing a horrible job explaining. I thought I had just seriously injured myself, but i stood up, got into a squat, moved around, no pain. 

That being said, I still don't have "pain" but I can't get as deep into a pancake without some tension and discomfort - I'd say a 2-3 on a 1-10, 1 being and itch, 10 being unconscious. 

From what my googling has led me to believe I probably have a very minor muscle/tendon strain, as I have no loss of strength, just a loss of perceived mobility - where i feel tension on the area, slight discomfort, and can't get as low as I like. The only two moves I feel this in are a pancake, or a really deep side to side squat; but i haven't lost any strength - which i read was one of the indicators of a stage 2+ tear. 

Has anyone had a similar injury? How did you deal with it? Did you stretch? Not stretch? Ice? Heat? 

Please let me know what's worked for the community, as I'm getting conflicting answers from training buddies and coaches, and I know if I go to the doc they'll prob just prescribe me something or say "you need an MRI." I have great insurance, but want to stay non-radiated unless absolutely essential. Thanks! 

Coach Sommer

Small tear.  

Treatment is straight forward.  Other than a little ice if it is particularly bothersome, only use pain free R.O.M.  Don't try to 'work' with it, don't try to fast track it.  Give the injury some space and it will heal relatively quickly.  

If however you are stubborn and attempt to force it ...

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 1

Alexander Castiglione

Thanks for the reply Coach! 

Turns out it was a minor strain, and I popped my pubic bone out of alignment. One trip to the chiro, and i feel markedly better, however, I am taking it easy and not doing and mobility work on the area for a couple more days. 

• Upvote 1

Coach Sommer

May take more than a few days.  Do not be adverse to taking a few weeks if needed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Alexander Castiglione
17 hours ago, Coach Sommer said:

May take more than a few days.  Do not be adverse to taking a few weeks if needed.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Will do, and will avoid all pancake work for a couple weeks. Just keep it moderate and avoid excessive lower body work....I'll take it as more time to train my planche lol. 

Thanks for all you do coach! 

Alexander Castiglione

Now that I'm almost 4 weeks out from when i heard the pop - and I've taken the week off from doing any lower body training, or even training Krav or Judo, would you still recommend ice or use some heat too to limber up the tendon and increase blood flow?

Just wondering, I'm not going to pancake or do any deep cossack squats for at least another week. Just pain free ROM as the coach suggested. 

Fabio Pinna

All that ice does is reduce swelling by constricting blood flow, and numbing your pain receptors. That means reducing the already low blood flow to the injuried part (tendons and connective tissue in general is not irrorated a lot), and mask pain, and you especially do not want to mask pain. The work you need to do now is to very slowly explore your painless ROM and work on it gradually, until it starts increasing again. Masking pain would let you work at ranges that are not safe yet.

Honestly, the best advice anyone can get you, regarding post-injury rehab, is to go see a decent physiotherapist. He/she will be able to assess your current capabilities and tell you if there is any lingering damage, and guide you through a decent warmup/lubrication routine that is compatible with your injury.

If you are able to explore your new, reduced ROM by yourself, you shouldn't even need a pt. Just go very slow, very carefully, listen to your body, and train gradually, paying attention to not neglecting anything while you do - "don't try to fast track it", as coach wisely said.

Alexander Castiglione
19 minutes ago, Fabio Pinna said:

If you are able to explore your new, reduced ROM by yourself, you shouldn't even need a pt. Just go very slow, very carefully, listen to your body, and train gradually, paying attention to not neglecting anything while you do - "don't try to fast track it", as coach wisely said.

Thanks, and I am able to stretch. As i said, it's not pain, just tension, but i assume my tendons/muscles are just constricted from the "trauma".... I'll go slow and steady, and if i feel anything other than a moderate stretch, stop immediately, and heat it. 

Sound like a plan?