Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

DIY dips and pullup freestanding station

Piotr Ochocki

Piotr Ochocki

Maybe this idea will inspire someone in similar situation.

So I wanted to have a pullup bar in my flat. I had to get around limitations: rented accommodation, access to drywall only, no access to struts (anyway owners wouldn't let me drill/mount there anything), relatively low ceiling, so bar at height that allows me to hang freely while bending legs (and still enough clearance above the bar for relatively high pullups) and small space where I could hide this station.

At the same time I decided to add dip bars and of course customize width for myself. Also I didn't want to have cross bar anywhere above the floor (thinking L-sit dips/pullups, leg lifts, etc).

Used galvanized tube (cheap and strong), 33.7mm external diameter, 3.25mm wall thickness. Feels very strong, maybe smaller size could work as well. And kee like (fast) clamps, so no drilling, just tighten few grub screws.

Also station is adjustable, so uprights can be easily set wider (loosen few screws), also uprights can be slide along the length of the base (again, loosen few screws) if required (i.e. re-balance station if more/less support is needed on one side), also changing length of PBs.

So this is evo 1 :), it is not perfect, but so far it looks like it may do the job, I also have some minor improvements to try.

pbput.jpg

• Upvote 6

• 1 month later...

Wow! would this be lighter than wood if used for Rungs of a Stall bar? 

PS: What kind of joint/ key/ screw thing is that? Closer pic if possible? - Is such a thing available in US/ Home Depot? 

On 3/1/2016 at 4:22 AM, Piotr Ochocki said:

And kee like (fast) clamps, so no drilling, just tighten few grub screws.

Piotr Ochocki

Wood will be lighter I think, just weighted one of the cutoffs, 45cm pipe == 970 gram, so basically 1kg per half meter.

You could probably use thinner pipes (ext diameter and wall thickness), these feel very strong I'm quite sure I could safely used thinner (but this is not a construction for dynamic stuff of course).

I'd guess you should get similar clamps in US, UK example you can see them under link below for example, plenty of shapes to chose from.

https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/tube-clamp

PS had a look at home depot, they have screw in clamps, if you coudl use them in your construction these could be even better

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Plumbing-Pipes-Fittings-Galvanized-Pipe-Fittings-Fittings/N-5yc1vZbuue/Ntk-Extended/Ntt-galvanized+pipe?Ntx=mode+matchpartialmax&NCNI-5

• Upvote 1