Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Raw Eggs???

Samuel Carr

I've been blending 2-3 raw eggs with protein powder, milk, and peanut butter into a shake and drinking daily right after every workout. A lot of people have been telling me that i'm going to get salmonella or another bacterial sickness and that its not good for me, but i've read many articles online that say eating raw eggs is better than cooked because cooking them burns out a lot of the nutrients and changes the protein structure, making it not as beneficial. Also that there's only .003% chance of getting sick from eating raw eggs. However, two of my cousins, one who is a pharmacist and the other who is a health freak say that they dont mess with raw eggs cuz of the risk. Is this just a wive's tale, or are raw eggs okay to eat? Thanks for your feedback

Cooked eggs absorb better, soo eat cooked eggs. Protein structure changes due to higher heat (denaturization) but that doesn't mean it's any less digestable... in fact it's more digestable at least for eggs. Burns out nutrients is false.

http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/128/10/1716

There's no benefit to raw eggs at all.... besides potentially getting food poisoning. No, Rocky didn't have it right drinking his raw eggs shake.

Richard Duelley

Thanks braindx.

I am sending that article to a friend of mine who swears up and down that raw eggs are better. . . 8)

What about bruce lee? That guy ate loads of raw eggs

Then he also ate ineffectively...

There are some people with good genetics that can do things that you or I can do and get much better results. Unfortunately, a lot of elite athletes can get away with this. The rest of us have to eat right and train our butts off.

I'd say that elite athletes also eat right and train their butts off. Thats what makes them elite

that doesnt make any sense braindx

Of course it does.

Some of the top players like Iverson in the NBA

. Half the time NFL, NBA, etc. players just eat fast food and whatever else.

Heck, Usain Bolt eats chicken nuggets from McDonald's on a daily basis. You can't tell me that's eating well. Reports from other top level sprinters says his training regime isn't that intense either. The dude just has REALLY good genetics and neuromuscular efficiency.

Some of these guys just have LOADS of talent that they don't have to train hard or eat well to perform at the best levels.

What I am saying is for MOST people, we need to eat well and train well to get strong and ripped. Guys at the top levels of any sport may be there because of really hard work and average genetics, or really great genetics and no work. The best athletes will ALWAYS be the ones with good gentics and hard work. People like Tiger Woods who work as hard as much talent they have will always be the best of the best.

Aviv Lugtenaar

This is what an artical says that michel phelps eats( or ate):

Three fried-egg sandwiches loaded with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, fried onions and mayonnaise. Two cups of coffee. One five-egg omelet. One bowl of grits. Three slices of French toast topped with powdered sugar. Three chocolate-chip pancakes.

Lunch: One pound of enriched pasta. Two large ham and cheese sandwiches with mayo on white bread. Energy drinks packing 1,000 calories.

Dinner: One pound of pasta. An entire pizza. More energy drinks.

Don´t know if you can consider this healthy?

Joshua Naterman

I used to eat like that when I was at BUDS. I don't know what you can say about the health of that diet, but the extreme level of exertion every day makes a big difference in what the body needs and how it assimilates the food it is given.

I used to have two scoops scrambled eggs with cheese, 32 oz milk, 3-4 pancakes, a bunch of grapes, bacon and sausage, and two cans of ensure (350+ calories each) for breakfast. If others didn't finish their breakfast I would do so for a few people.

Lunch and dinner were similarly huge, each meal was a minimum of 3000 calories. I worked it out, and I was eating 10,000-12,000 calories a day. During the 3 weeks before hell week on this diet I lost 18 lbs. Yea. My blood tests for my physical before and after all showed good cholesterol and lipid levels, and all hormones were within tolerances. I don't know what the long term effects of staying on a diet like that is, but being extremely active fundamentally changes how the body responds to the nutrition it is given. What I ate would have destroyed the cholesterol levels of a person with a "normal" level of activity, to say nothing of the weight they would have gained.

About raw eggs: So, any denaturization of protein limits the ability of the body to assimilate the protein fractions(amino acids and small peptides) into the body, because even though they are the same proteins the hydrogen bonds change and the 3d structure changes. Basically, it's like you have this circular wooden block that you have to put into a circular hole. It fits. But you leave it out in the sun and the heat changes it into a triangular wooden block. Now it doesn't fit. That's sort of what happens to proteins when they denature. They are still the same protein, with the same amino acids present, but the hydrogen bonds that create the 3d shape(they are like support beams) break and re-establish themselves in new positions. This new shape does not fit well into the enzymes our bodies produce, and so our bodies cannot extract the amino acids that we need, even though they are there, because enzymes only work on substances that fit into the active site correctly.

The outside of an egg can have salmonella, but the inside is never infected. If you wash eggs well, you will never ever EVER get sick from eating them. The reason you shouldn't eat raw eggs is that they have a protein called Avidin. Avidin blocks the absorption of certain B vitamins, which we need for efficient energy production. By heating the eggs, the Avidin itself gets denatured. It's 3d shape changes, and it loses the ability to interact with B vitamins. That's why you want to cook eggs. Just cook them on low heat and you'll be fine. You'll have well over 90% of the protein intact, which means that out of a WHOLE DOZEN EGGS you will lose less than 10 grams of protein(each egg has 6-7 grams, so assuming 7 grams per egg that's 84 grams, and assuming only 90% of protein still being bioavailable you still have 76 grams. Not a big deal.) So that is why you are better off with cooked eggs.

Edit: Just read the article. Very interesting! The heat definitely changes things. I'm surprised it makes it so much more digestible, but there it is! Cook your eggs :P

I'd say that elite athletes also eat right and train their butts off. Thats what makes them elite

Best not to emulate people too much, but instead ask how you can make yourself better.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.