Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

VWG nutrient density

Ali Dawi

Hi

I just wanted to ask you guys about Vital Wheat Gluten. Is it a good source of protein? In that the food has a high nutrient density? Or is it just a filler and not worth consuming it for the protein?

Douglas Wadle

Bigger point...why? Is there is a reason you feel the need to eat supplemental protein in this form? It is often used by vegans as a source of protein, but the problem in my mind is that it is very high in glutamate, just like nutritional yeast.  these tend to be very stimulative to the nervous system. Not to mention that there are a lot of people who are somewhat intolerant to gluten, and regularly taking a lot of it could unmask more mild problems if they are present.  There are much better forms of protein out there in my opinion.  If you need a vegan form of protein, which is probably the only reason you'd be looking at this product, then I would use spirulina protein.  

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Douglas Wadle said:

Bigger point...why? Is there is a reason you feel the need to eat supplemental protein in this form? It is often used by vegans as a source of protein, but the problem in my mind is that it is very high in glutamate, just like nutritional yeast.  these tend to be very stimulative to the nervous system. Not to mention that there are a lot of people who are somewhat intolerant to gluten, and regularly taking a lot of it could unmask more mild problems if they are present.  There are much better forms of protein out there in my opinion.  If you need a vegan form of protein, which is probably the only reason you'd be looking at this product, then I would use spirulina protein.  

Because I am a vegan. Not for animal rights reasons or anything like that. For personal reasons I do not wish to discuss.

I am not gluten intolerant, that is why I posted the question.

Spirulini is non-existent where I an living. As well as Hemp and Chlorella. If I've had ANY of these I wouldn't bother posting this question.

• Upvote 1

Ali,

I have to agree with Douglas on this one but to give you the best answer I can I would suggest finding a essential amino acid complex. USP grade will be costly but worth it. BCAA would be cheeper less effective option. But if you have limited access to supplements these may be hard to find. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Serven said:

Ali,

I have to agree with Douglas on this one but to give you the best answer I can I would suggest finding a essential amino acid complex. USP grade will be costly but worth it. BCAA would be cheeper less effective option. But if you have limited access to supplements these may be hard to find. 

We don't have the good stuff here, unfortunately. I've been doing really well on my diet so far. I think the 'seitan' I consumed a bit of this week is a bit of a game changer, strength wise. I'll have to experiment with different food, I guess.

Thanks for your help; both of you.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...
GoldenEagle

Vegan here also....

You can use vital wheat gluten to create a dense source of protein called Seitan. However you can also realize that every fruit, nut, and vegetable is an excellent source of dense protein also.

Personally speaking, I do not eat the mock "Meat" and focus more on consuming fruits, nuts, and vegetables, My typical day to day meals... Feel free to consume seitan as much as you, personally, wish. If you are seeking to be as healthy as your body is genetically capable... do not rely the mock meats too heavily as a source of "Protein."

• Like 1

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.