Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Training with a hand in a cast

Mats Trane

My son just broke his littlefinger after a dismount on P-bars and now has his right hand in a cast. His training is quite limited now although he still goes to his training. There seems to be alot of people with coacing experience here and I´m sure has had athelets injured and still train them. What exercises would you recomend?

Anything he can do without pain.

Pinky? Just splint it. He might even be able to support on PB or rings and let the finger free. Probably would be uncomfortable on floor. Sort of depends on pain tolerance.

There is still a lot of abdominal or lower body work he could do. He can probably still hang from things those the lack of not using the pinky/little finger will impact his ability to grip.

He could also work upper arm supports and shrugging.

I dislocated my pinky last November in virtually all of the joints and though it was sensitive for some things, I could still train without discomfort. It mainly effecting gripping things.

And it was dislocated badly, at every joint so it was all buggered and swollen a bit. It's mobility was affected but as long as nothing jarred it, I was fine training with it.

Shortly after dislocating it I got sick though so my training was a bit sparse if I remember.

i think it depends on the situation... how old is he? there will always be more meets/competitions... how bad is the finger? if its in a cast, the doctor thinks it neds to be immoble... how serious is he about gymnastics? it would be ashame to mess it up more or have it linger...

i would work on stretching, prehab, legs and core... sometimes rest can be a good thing, especially when your young... it lets your mind refresh...

use your better judgement... i know as a kid i would have said anything to practice... gilbert arenas (sp?) plays for the washington wizards and has been riddled with injuries... he blames the team for not holding him back and allowing him to play before he was ready...

Griff is right. With one of my boy's, I'm pretty sure I could use the splint it and work around it. With some of the other girls/boys, it would probably be a nightmare getting them to do anything. Sort of depends on pain tolerance/maturity. In my experience, ideally the older they are or more experienced, the more pain tolerance but pain tolerance also goes hand in hand with strength (weak kids typically don't have a lot of pain tolerance, imo).

John Sapinoso

High pain tolerance isn't necessarily a good thing. I had the same injury from an extra exuberant moy to support on p-bars resulting in the same full arm cast.

The cast was meant to immobilize it for a reason. Because this was my last year I worked out on it the next day in the cast doing pretty much everything and well. . . this is the result 2 years later

l_5f3748a6d58f46a68edb0f4925b9a532.jpg

It was sticking out all kinds of sideways when I broke it though; one of my coaches couldn't even look at it so I had to get another coach to pop it back in.

If your son has a high tolerance and enjoys the symmetry of his hands, i'd say be as cautious as possible, these few weeks aren't going to kill him.

A few years before that though I dislocated ring finger from a wobbly floor pommel horse and I was smart about it. I worked strength and flexibility and not only did it heal faster, but i was stronger and more flexible when i returned to working out.

Thanks for your replies! especially yours ts00nami. Its always good to see living proof! He is now back training and his Russian coach gave him a good program.

Tsunami, my pinky looks similar to that. It was dislocated at all 3 joints of the finger so it was look'n real funky. It might have looked better but during some grappling training a few months later my friend pulled it out of the socket by accident. I am very protective of it now though the kids always offer to bend it back straight for me.

Until the little finger has healed, do not use the hand. As he is not in preparation for the Olympics, there is no long term benefit to aggravating an injury that is attempting to heal. Use this time instead to focus on flexibility, leg strength, core strength and perhaps air awareness on trampoline.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Joshua Naterman

Agreed. There's almost no loss of maximal strength over the 4-6 week healing time that is required. It will take him a month, at the most, to be back where he was pre-injury. Those short time periods for skill and strength re-acquisition are negligible in the medium and long term. It's not worth risking the creation of a chronic condition by messing with the hand while it heals.

Thanks to all of you!

He had a big competition coming up this weekend and after coming home from the hospital he relised that he would´nt be able to attend it. This competition is the biggest in Sweden during the whole year and it also decides who will go to a Future Cup in Linz, Austria in the beginning of December. So of cousre he took it very hard.As a parent it is always hard to explain to your child but showing him your professional coments made it it alot easier