Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What gymnastic mat do you recommend?

Trevor Catterall

Trevor Catterall

Hello, I am looking for some advice on what gym matting to buy for home use. I am at the basic entry level of strength and thus often hit the deck when attempting basic planches and handstands. No doubt things will get worse as I introduce the multi-plane movements and plyometrics. I'm based in the UK and have found this website:

http://www.continentalsports.co.uk/gymn ... _home.html

I am 180lbs and 6 feet tall. Any advice is much appreciated.

Hmm, matting is typically very expensive. At home, I don't use much. I use 2 hall rugs stacked on top of each other or sometimes a couch pillow. I have used a spare futon before which is really nice.

The Trocellen® linkable exercise mat look nice and inexpensive. The chipfoam, polyblend, or lytamat might also work well while still being inexpensive. Another idea is to buy one of those crash mats.

Sort of depends on your budget.

Trevor Catterall

Thanks for the advice Blairbob. It is probably a bit over kill for a beginner but I train on the top floor at home and when I come crashing down everyone else knows about it with the ceiling and lighting below taking a hit. Hopefully this will reduce the effect.

I think the Trocellen® is probably the best bet. I searched elsewhere and a number of manufacturers are using this material including mma fighters.

Coach has replied to this before with a recommendation of a website, maybe it was matsmatsmats.com but i really can't remember :)

If at all possible, try out different mats first, before buying on-line. That is, visit a judo club, a gymnasium, health club, and see which mat feels best for you. Ask the owner what type it is and the brand. There are all manner of various densities, so be careful. Something too squishy will not permit handstand training, and something too firm won't take much out of a fall.

Also, be wary of the shipping charges with mats. In the U.S. at least, shipping a mat can be a huge part of the price.

For myself, I have two types of mats: "tatami" mats from Swain Sports Intl., which I got used, which are firm enough for handstand work and handwalking, but a bit too firm on a cement floor for a big fall. Doubling them up has proved a great surface in the garage. I also have some Mancino folding mats, which are more forgiving, but not as nice for moving around. folding mats are nice because they can also serve as soft raised platforms and are more easily transportable.

Trevor Catterall
Coach has replied to this before with a recommendation of a website, maybe it was matsmatsmats.com but i really can't remember :)

I read that thread but the company referred to is based in the US and I am in the UK. I don't think they offer international shipping and if they did I bet it would more than double the price.

Would love to try a mat out before buying but it's not really practical for me due to a lack of local business and gyms.

Some sporting good stores may have something cheap that could serve you in the short run. Buying a good mat should be a careful purchase, not only because of the cost, but you are also relying on it for safety. Now that I have children, I am very happy that my mats are there on the floor, and I bought my mats more than 10 years ago. They have held up very well. My next purchase, when I can save the money, is to get a "crash" mat, or throw/landing mat. Check out http://www.resilite.com, too, for some ideas. Although this is a U.S. company, they have a wide selection, and market to different sports.

My recommendation is to search for a UK/European website which sells wrestling mats and wrestling mat remnants. If these are unavailable than any panel mat (either flat or folding) of approximately 5cm high will be fine. The length and width selected will of course depend entirely upon the amount of space which you have to work with.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Trevor Catterall

Thanks for the info. everyone. I am continuing to search for a supplier of Wrestling mats similar to those at Matsmatsmats but as yet I have found nothing. My search will continue and I'll post any findings for future forum searchers.

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, I am resurrecting this old thread due to safety concerns on rings.

I was doing the pull WOD today and doing some inverted hang, which feels safe to me. Equipment, mind/body or tree failure are my risks. Do people use mats under their rings? I have some old mattresses which could save my neck, but it adds to the hassle of setting up a workout.

Safety concerns were raised with me extensively during the WOD by my wife :?

Any comments appreciated.

Cheers,

Edna

Right now I use two winter jackets under the rings for safety . The other option is air bed (~$30), or go to post office and get some cushions there.

• 2 years later...