Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shoulder Mobility Help

Kevin Easton

Ok, I will keep this brief.

I injured my left shoulder as a teen.  Went for an ultrasound and they stated there was some calcification in the shoulder.  Then I went for an MRI and they determined there wasn't anything wrong in there they can operate on.  I discovered shoulder dislocates year ago and no kidding they were like a gift from God.  I didn't know what they were called at the time, however they were a huge game changer for the grinding, clicking, snapping, popping, and locking in my shoulder.

Fast forwards to about 2 years ago and I did something to my right shoulder.  What did I do ....  Well, I don't know.  Any pressing movement I do I get pain in the front of my shoulder OR it travels to the back of my shoulder.  It's been going on for a while so in November I went for an ultra sound.  Got the results back and they found "nothing"

I grew up playing hockey, football, lifting weights, and the last 6 or so years doing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

What's the best remedy to get these shoulders moving again?

- Thoracic Bridge course?

- Handstand One?

- Something else?

Essentially I am trying to fix years and years of abuse and lack of stretching. 

Very hard to choose one or the other; handstand is active flexibility and incredibly good for rebuilding /injury proofing shoulders, but the variety and passive stretching of the bridge series is also likely to do you good.

On balance if you were absolutely stuck here and are only interested in shoulder mobility/rehab think the bridge series will give you a bit more bang for the buck. It also plain feels amazing.

The best option is a combination of str/ active flex and passive flex of course :) but we start where we start.

• Upvote 1

Alessandro Mainente

Personally I think like Jon.

Btw handstand one has a lot of active work , but it requires to release tension on tight muscles. for this reason if you need to choose then T-bridge series is a starting point. solid 6-10 months of work here will speed up the process of restoring the strength on the posterior chain of the body and handstand 1 will gives you faster benefits.

• Upvote 3

Thoracic Bridge Stretch appears that you need stall bars for some of the stretches.

I don't have stall bars at this time (I was going to build a set, but sourcing wood dowels in Canada is a PITA +$300)

Do you guys have a suggestion how I can do the Thorasic Bridge stretch series at home without stall bars?

Florian Nagel

You can walk down your wall with your hands. And for the elevated bridge you can use, for example, your couch or a coffee table or something like that. Just make sure that you do it the right way and that you're elevated enough.

Jared Lybbert

You could try some dedicated hanging time,  accumulate 3-5 minutes a day? and see how your shoulder feels after 2 weeks of it.

Agree with a lot of what was said above.  For me beginning with Foundation 1 course showed me the big picture of movements that I wanted in my upper body.  Then combining handstand and its shoulder demands eventually led me to Thoracic Bridge.  They are all game changers and I wouldn't want to leave out any of these 3 courses I mentioned.  They each provide motivation, direction, and a reason for overall shoulder movements. 

Alessandro Mainente

You could try some dedicated hanging time,  accumulate 3-5 minutes a day? and see how your shoulder feels after 2 weeks of it.

dedicated hang time for decent result requires at least 45'' hold to be effective. If you haven't mastered RC in foundations you have more risk to develop medial elbow problem.

• Upvote 1