This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Breakfast Construction

Started by Sam Andersen, January 22, 2016 · 57 Replies · 2,156 Views

Jeff Serven

Sam,

 

Thats a pretty good amount of time to go without eating. I would say by Kentucky Windage standards you are fairly decently fat adapted. Once you reach higher levels you will know your fat adapted because you will have very little body fat. There is two ways to be lean 1) be efficient at burning fat as you are carbs - 1/2 petrol, 1/2 diesel. Or count calories and starve yourself. 

 

What time do you generally 

1) Wake up

2) Eat breakfast

3) Lunch

4) Dinner

5) Go to sleep

Sam Andersen
Jeff Serven said:

Sam,

 

What time do you generally 

1) Wake up

2) Eat breakfast

3) Lunch

4) Dinner

5) Go to sleep

I wake up at 4-5am I eat breakfast within 5 minutes of waking up. Lunch happens between 1130-1200. Dinner usually takes place 545-630pm. I am in bed usually 830pm.

Jeff Serven

Okay that sounds like a pretty good day. I was asking because I did not want you eating breakfast then waiting 7 hours for lunch on the regular. 

Richard Sassoon
Sam Andersen said:

I wake up at 4-5am I eat breakfast within 5 minutes of waking up. Lunch happens between 1130-1200. Dinner usually takes place 545-630pm. I am in bed usually 830pm.

Hei Sam! You are one of the few ones with a similar routine as me! Do you also train early in the morning?

 

So Jeff, do you think that eating breakfast around 5:15 am, then training around 1h later, and having a fruit afterwards (between 7:30-8:00), then having lunch around 11:30-12:00 is ok? I do feel some hunger around 10:00, but then I drink some coffee and everything is fine again hehe

My breakfast does keep me going for quite some time, nowadays 1 avocado and some 4% fat cottage cheese.

Jeff Serven

Richard, 

 

Yea that sounds pretty good. 

Sam Andersen

 

Richard, 

 

I start work at 530am so I work out later in the day.  Usually my workout starts at 4pm and as soon as I am done or close thereafter I eat dinner.  The work I am involved in is seasonal so September through the end of February I usually work long and unusual hours.  Sometimes it takes a lot of work to fit in the workouts.

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

I have another coffee question... if my breakfast has healthy fats in it (aka, Greek yogurt, eggs, avocado), does my coffee still need to have full fat cream as opposed to milk?

 

My girlfriend likes milk in her coffee so we always just buy that, but if I should be having full fat cream in addition to my breakfast fat, I'll start buying that.

 

Any help is appreciated!

 

Cam

Richard Sassoon

Hei Sam, hope you manage to keep a good consistency with your workouts! I know that many days I can end up working longer hours so for me the best is to workout in the morning, and since that is possible for me that is what I do, otherwise after a 10h work day I would just go home an skip the training.

And Cameron, you already have your healthy fats in, no need to complicated it I would say, skip the full fat cream, unless you really enjoy it. 

Piotr Ochocki
On 22/01/2016 at 0:33 PM, Jeff Serven said:

Sam, As a general rule I think you would be better off avoiding carbs in the AM. Whole milk does have carbs in it and its very insulinogenic but I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about that. All and all I think you'll be okay.

Thrive got me to start using full fat and research better milk milk options (quality/taste), to the point that in last weeks I just like to have a glass of milk with breakfast. But this statement got me thinking, is it a good approach long-term, or would it be better to not drink it _every_ daily morning?

Jared Birbeck

I was having milk every morning for at least 15 years now but dropped it as part of the no-carb in the AM shift. I love milk though so I have shifted the milk I would have had in the morning to the afternoon. the morning has become coconut milk and water combo with  protein...which I expect I'll be dropping too as I'm getting protein from other sources now. 

Jeff Serven

Regular full fat milk is probably a better choice than the coconut milk that comes in the 1/2 gallon carton. That specific type of coconut milk is extremely high in phytic acid(too much). At step one don't sweat the carbs. Keep the milk going just switch to full fat. Raw would be nice but its not the easiest to get. 

Jared Birbeck

sounds good to me...usually go the coconut milk from the can, and it would be mixed with water. so its a choice between 300mlish of full fat milk (never could understand any of the low fat stuff...better off having water) or 250ml of water mixed with coconut milk.

Jeff Serven

In that case both are good options but I still recommend the milk for two reasons. 1) you love it 2) change as little as possible to be effective. Right now, ditching the milk is not going to bring a huge advantage. 

Ian Howard

I'd like to have an opinion about the CORE Meal breakfast bars. I'll include the nutritional labels in this post. Because of the oats, I'm not sure if the carbs are something to be worried about. The labels I posted are the only ones I consume.

 

First thing in the morning around 6:40 I drink a glass of Kalona whole, organic milk later followed an EPIC bison bar or Tanka buffalo jerky. About an hour later (7:40) I eat one of these CORE Meal bars, a cup of Dreaming Cow or any grass-fed cattle, organic yogurt, and occasionally if I'm super hungry I'll scramble 2 range-free high omega eggs with 2-3 minimally processed chicken breakfast links cooked in a small dab of unrefined organic coconut oil. If I eat ALL of that I'm full! lol  Around 10:45-11:00 I will eat a banana or apple, drink a RUNA guayuasa energy drink, and a GO-MACRO organic bar. (I eat my THRIVE-prescribed veggies between 12:00-1:00 before working out because lately I've been working out during lunch).

 

Sorry for ALL that info, but I think it might help original question about the oats in the breakfast bar and relates to this thread on how my breakfast is structured.  I do Foundations 4 days a week with Stretch Series and cardio on Wednesdays. I'm 182 cm, and I generally stay between 78-81 kilos. I think I have this question in the right place. My apologies if I'm mistaken. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Jeff Serven

Ian, 

At this stage in the game your breakfast is to add a heathy fat and protein. You have outlined some pretty great options. Greek yogurt, eggs, coconut oil, beef jerky. It sounds to me like before the bars you are doing quite good for yourself. 

As for the bars themselves - Oats, flax, cacao are all pretty high in fiber. If those were the majority of the carbs in the bar I think the fiber content would be higher. I definitely could be wrong, just be suspicious. 

Ian Howard

Thanks, Jeff. I noticed the bars were high in all 3 profiles of fats, carbs, and proteins. The ingredients seem healthy at face value, especially being raw and organic, but perhaps I'm putting too much on my plate by not sticking with the basics for now. I noticed some questions here and there about carbs, and like you said, it's not presently included in our breakfast outline, so I thought I would go ahead and ask. Cheers

Jeff Serven

No problem asking as long as the steps you do have are being completed 100% of the time (no Sunday). I don't want to sound as if I am against those food bars, I'm just always skeptical of bars. They most often are hiding something, maybe nothing big but something. 

Patricia Albidrez

Just started breakfast protein.  I learned how to make a poached egg in the microwave the other day and now I'm hooked.  Below is what I've been assembling for breakfast.  In my hotel room!  image.jpegI gather from some of the posts that carbs are out for breakfast but Thrive hasn't told me to yet.  Or has it?  Also, Thrive hasn't yet told me to skip Thrive on Sunday's.  I'm still following Thrive on Sunday's but indulging in some extra goodies.  Am I still Thrive-ing or did I go off course?

Viken Douzdjian

Hi, great stuff in these forums... I'm learning a ton and finally have a little structure in what I eat. All this talk about a low-carb breakfast, but carbs after a workout got me thinking about my morning routine. I train in the mornings and my post-workout snack/breakfast is a smoothie with frozen spinach, organic berries, half a banana, chia, protein powder (Pure Whey Derived from the Milk of Grass-Fed, Hormone and Antibiotic-Free Cows), full fat yogurt and raw eggs. 

Is it OK to have carbs through berries / banana following a workout? If better to go light on the fruit in the morning, happy to do so, just thought I'd check as I'm a little unclear on carb timing. Sorry if this is discussed elsewhere - I spent some time looking and didn't find it. Really appreciate any help and keep up the awesome stuff here. Thanks!

-Vik

Julia Quigley

@Patricia Albidrez, you're going above and beyond! :) the dashboard still lists your Thrive tasks on Sundays, but you won't be penalized for not checking them. So the course won't tell you to take Sundays off, you just can. Does that make sense? 

Also, there's a specific lesson in the course (not a task) that talks about carbs and breakfast, but nothing is prohibited in Thrive 1. Thrive 1 is all about building a healthy base of the essentials, not taking things out. 

@Viken Douzdjian, there is a lesson about meal flow throughout the day and that may answer some of your questions, if you haven't already come across it. In a couple places on the forum Jeff has said that his preference is to not have carbs before lunch, even with morning training, but it may be you don't have access to those forums yet. When you do get there, you'll have some good discussions to read.

Patricia Albidrez

Thank you for the clarification Julia!

Julia Quigley

Also, Patricia, you should make a thread for Thrive on the road with all the tricks you're implementing! I've always loved coming up way with ways to eat healthy while traveling (I once brought raw carrots and cured meats on an airplane with me because they didn't require refrigeration). I'm sure others could benefit from tips like your microwave poached eggs. 

Patricia Albidrez

I was thinking that might be a useful thread.  Thanks for the encouragement!

Jeff Serven

Please do Patricia 

Oussama KHELLADI
On 2/7/2016 at 5:42 PM, Jeff Serven said:

 [read; below 10% on my calipers]. 

is it an article posted in the forum ?