This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Breakfast Construction

Started by Sam Andersen, January 22, 2016 · 57 Replies · 2,156 Views

Sam Andersen

In order to avoid carbs during breakfast should I eliminate anything that has carbs in it?  For example I usually have a glass of whole milk with my eggs.  Milk is a good fat source but also contains some carbs.  If you could clarify this point for me I would appreciate it.

 

Thanks for the awesome program.  I am fired up about this program.  Keep the good stuff coming.

Colm O'Shea

I've got a question about the fat-burning window after waking too but it's about exercising before breakfast. What do you think? Is working out prior to breaking your nightlong fast: 

 

a) Total bullshit--avoid at all costs

b) Neutral--doesn't matter

c) Great idea--make it a regular practice for fat loss.

Jeff Serven

Sam, As a general rule I think you would be better off avoiding carbs in the AM. Whole milk does have carbs in it and its very insulinogenic but I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about that. All and all I think you'll be okay.

 

Colm, Really depends on your goals, your lifestyle and so on but my best recommendation for time of day to train where you are most alert, the nervous system is primed and the bodys tissues are warm is in-between lunch and dinner. 

Sam Andersen

Thanks

Boki

I usually eat fruit for breakfast, but since a lot of carbs is not recommended in the morning, I was wondering when would be a good time to consume fruit. Assuming that I train every day between breakfast and lunch, when should I eat fruit?

Jeff Serven

After training would be a good time 

Stephen Majerle

In the lesson it says that by only eating protein and fat for breakfast we extend the fat burning window from over night, forcing our body to burn fat for fuel. My question is, is the fat that we are burning for energy the same fat that we just ate, or is it the fat already stored on our body? Or is it a combination of the two?

Jeff Serven

Combo of the two. Basically it works like this, there are 2 sources of fuel; carbs and fat. When we burn carbs we burn zero body fat and if we have to borrow from the body(catabolize) it comes out of the muscle tissues. If we burn fat and we borrow from the body it comes from body fat stores.

 

Once your body gets use to using fat for fuel it can assist carbs in energy production during times like the workout when glycogen is ideally used for the workout and we can use fat for some other non essential functions. Think 85% carb, 15% fat burning for energy. 

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

I've been eating greek yogurt with fruit and smoked salmon most mornings for breakfast... There are carbs in the yogurt and the fruit - should these be avoided?

 

Ps... loving the program! My energy levels during the day are steady, I've lost weight, and progress in my training has accelerated. Very pleased :)

 

Cam

Jeff Serven

Cam,

 

Glad to hear its working for you! Keep us posted as the progress keeps on.

 

During the fermentation process of yogurt the cultures eat the lactose and leave behind lactic acid. The lactic acid is whats responsible for the sour taste. When the carbs eat the lactose they are eating the milk sugars or carbs in the yogurt. So at the time of packaging a true greek yogurt may say it has 15g of carbs but you can guess that 7g have been fermented. Leaving you with a net 7g or so of carbs or about 1/2 of what the container says. This in comparison to the total fat + protein count is inconsequential. 

 

Now Cam I have to ask. Are you eating yo-play with the fruit that comes in it and all you do is mix it up or are you eating real Greek Yogurt and adding your own fresh fruit? If its fresh (which its probably not) what type of fruits are you using? 

 

Cheers mate!

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Haha no I'm not eating Yoplait! But I can understand your suspicion, based on certain previous discussions ;)

 

I thaw out frozen fruit each morning... I switch each day for variety. I've been eating blackberries, blueberries, mangos, peaches, and then a mix that has strawberries, mangos, and peaches I think.

 

Should I stay away from certain fruits?

 

Thanks for your comments!

 

Cam

DBeckerman

Sorry guys to add in to this topic. Can veggies be eaten at breakfast please or do they have too much of a carb load?

Cheers,

DB

Jeff Serven

Cam - For your application I think berries would be best. The thawing process is very short and if they don't thaw out they are still pretty good in the yogurt. 

 

DB - Veggies are perfectly fine. What are you doing with them for breakfast? Are we talking throwing in some ingredients into a omelette or are you eating a bowl of veggies?

Cameron Williams (Suspect 001)

Cool - I'll stick with berries. Thank you!

DBeckerman

Something simple like wilted spinach or fried mushrooms/ onions on their own. Otherwise yes just chucked in an omelette.

Thanks for answering Jeff

Sam Andersen
Jeff Serven said:

 Once your body gets use to using fat for fuel it can assist carbs in energy production during times like the workout when glycogen is ideally used for the workout and we can use fat for some other non essential functions.

Is there anyway to tell if your body is efficient at burning both types of fuel?

Jeff Serven

Sam eat a zero carb breakfast. Don't eat anything until lunch. Tell me how you feel at lunch time.

Bro'

Pretty much this! One of the great benefits of intermittent fasting. I know for sure I'm 'fat-efficient' now, just because I could skip breakfast any day and feel good. I'm glad Thrive advocates eating fats, proteins and low-carb at breakfast. I found I was able to maintain most of the 'mental clarity' and not getting hungry halfway through the morning that people on IF report but I have one more meal to get the calories in, so thanks for that!

Jeff Serven

IF has no place in the performance world. None. The easiest way to tell if you are an efficient fat burner is if you have no body fat [read; below 10% on my calipers]. 

 

Bro: your last two post got you a place on the watchlist. Suspect 006. Linking that terrible reference and now mentioning IF. But, I am glad that you like Thrive and all of your other post are pretty spot on. 

Bro'
Jeff Serven said:

IF has no place in the performance world. None. The easiest way to tell if you are an efficient fat burner is if you have no body fat [read; below 10% on my calipers]. 

 

Bro: your last two post got you a place on the watchlist. Suspect 006. Linking that terrible reference and now mentioning IF. But, I am glad that you like Thrive and all of your other post are pretty spot on. 

 

I guess I deserve to be on the watchlist for the link in the other thread, but I did say that I stopped IF and never said it was good for performance.  :) But after your suggestion to Sam, I guessed not eating carbs (or not at all) and feeling good at lunch meant you were okay/okay-ish when it comes to burning fat. I'm sure body-fat measurement would be way more effective, but I'll just wait until I get further into Thrive before bothering to measure it!

Also, thanks for saying I don't just say crap, but I might just keep a low profile for the remainder of today.  :lol:

Jeff Serven

Touche Bro you make some very good points there.

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hi All!

I would like to build a correct breakfast, but it looks a bit difficult to avoid at all sugars and carbs, considering that I used to eat just like most italian people do (I mean brioche & cappuccino :D ).

Looking at the proposals, I chose Greek Yogurt with walnuts. This way I should eat enough fat and protein. But I was wondering if I could add even some berries or other fruits, or even a bit of honey... in order to make the taste "sweeter"... Or must they be avoided at any cost?

Thank you very much!

Alessandro

Sam Andersen
Jeff Serven said:

Sam eat a zero carb breakfast. Don't eat anything until lunch. Tell me how you feel at lunch time.

I will do that tomorrow.  For zero carb I will eat 4 eggs and drink some water. I will let you know how it goes.

Jeff Serven

The other Allesandero from Italy, brioche & cappuccino are certainly good but maybe not the most optimal. 

 

​Coffee: As long as your cappuccino is with full fat milk your are good or go for something like a breve latte or any espresso and full fat milk or cream combo. 

 

​The yogurt is a good call and so is the walnuts. 

 

Berries are the lest offensive choice of the carbs you mentioned but at this step its doest force you to remove the carbs (yet) so start building the habit of adding a heathy fat to breakfast and worry about the cabs later if it feels overwhelming. 

Sam Andersen
Jeff Serven said:

Sam eat a zero carb breakfast. Don't eat anything until lunch. Tell me how you feel at lunch time.

Well I had my four eggs this morning cooked in grass feed butter.  I had a little water to drink as well.  Today I ate breakfast at 430am which is typical for me this time of year.  By 930 I started to feel a little hungry.  It is now 1130 and I will eat lunch in a few minutes.  I am pretty hungry but not so much so that it is a distraction.  Other than the hunger I feel normal compared to other days.