Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Home Made DIY Back Strap?

Kevin Murray

Since I live outside of the delivery area and they are now out of stock, I will be forced to make my own back strap ... sigh.  My idea is to get a 'dip belt' that has D-Rings on it.  I will then have 2 each of 1" X 12' Cam Straps made up at my local rigging supplier.  The Fast Cam end will be 12" Long with a pass through loop end to attach to a bar, the long end will have a D-Ring that can be attached to the 'Dip Belt' with a carabiner.

Has anyone else done a DIY Back Strap?  Once I am done I will post some pictures.

• Upvote 2

8 meters of one inch nylon tape (for climbing slings).

Double it over the left side of the top rung of your stall bar, thread both ends through a sleeve of some sort (old socks, rolled up yoga mat, whatever), run both ends over the right side of the top rung and tie in place.

Simple and easy.

• Upvote 1

David McManamon

Yes, I have made several similar straps but I am very, very lucky in that I can walk to a store nearby and check out a variety of webbing materials that most people can only see online at websites like http://www.seattlefabrics.com/webbing.htmland I have access to an industrial sewing machine that can easily sew this webbing.  One key aspect to straps is the D-ring.  Take a look at the hardware on the new Manduka straps or the new TRX straps, very cheap yet very easy to adjust and still secure.

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone tried using a ring strap for this? That was my thought once my stall bars come in next week ( :D ).

If you join them they should be long enough. Then just roll a yoga mat around the strap, and off you go.

Since I live outside of the delivery area and they are now out of stock, I will be forced to make my own back strap ... sigh.  My idea is to get a 'dip belt' that has D-Rings on it.  I will then have 2 each of 1" X 12' Cam Straps made up at my local rigging supplier.  The Fast Cam end will be 12" Long with a pass through loop end to attach to a bar, the long end will have a D-Ring that can be attached to the 'Dip Belt' with a carabiner.

Has anyone else done a DIY Back Strap?  Once I am done I will post some pictures.

This is pretty much what I did! I would only give it a 5/10 for comfort, but it is functional. As you can see in the vid the support potion of the belt has basically just conformed to my hip crease so it doesn't distribute the weight very well. I throw on a pair of compression shorts when I use it and all is well.

https://youtu.be/WIGaR-AfUyM

• 4 months later...
William Strømsvold

I would suggest to use a weightlifting belt with D-rings in front (for weighted dips, etc). Just use a rope on each side with a carabiner or similar, and hook onto the D-rings. Other end attached over a door, staircase etc.

William Strømsvold

I have used Soft-slings before as well, which was a 7/10 on the comfort scale. 1m Soft-slings used for lifting stuff.

• 2 months later...
Lorenzo De Lara

I'm having trouble visualizing the final product with just textual descriptions. Any chance someone could post more detailed pics and/or instructions? Since there's no ETA on when the official version will be back in stock, I'm guessing more and more people will be interested in this.

Khaled Chatila
On 08/08/2016 at 7:35 PM, William Strømsvold said:

Earlier GB were unwilling to ship the backstrap abroad, so I had to look for alternatives. I recently stumbled over this one from IKEA, which seems to be well suitable for the job.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00312233/

Awesome! thanks SO MUCH, this has been out of stock it seems since January... and in Dubai, I had pretty much zero chance of getting one - until your post made my day... the local ikea store has 16 in stock :):)

Thanks again!

• Upvote 1

I was having a heck of a time finding a back strap as they're presently out of stock on GB, and finally came across dip belts (duh!).  There are a variety of them out there, but I decided on the Rogue dip belt linked below because of its durable construction and I'm thinking perhaps I could use it for non-GST exercises in the future once I've built up a solid foundation and understanding through GST over a few years, albeit perhaps at the expense of a bit of comfort.

I'll update once it arrives and I use it a few times.

http://www.roguefitness.com/dip-belt?prod_id=2100&gclid=Cj0KEQjw_9-9BRCqpZeZhLeOg68BEiQAOviWAuwulGNhpbtJe_OtN6feB9vSwiibENppO2zHudO15k8aAj0s8P8HAQ

Ali Mohammed
On ‎8‎-‎8‎-‎2016 at 5:35 PM, William Strømsvold said:

Earlier GB were unwilling to ship the backstrap abroad, so I had to look for alternatives. I recently stumbled over this one from IKEA, which seems to be well suitable for the job.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00312233/

Haha, this is genius. Might not be as good but seems to get the job done. Thanks!

Jonas Forsberg
On 13 augusti 2016 at 11:45 AM, Khaled Chatila said:

Awesome! thanks SO MUCH, this has been out of stock it seems since January... and in Dubai, I had pretty much zero chance of getting one - until your post made my day... the local ikea store has 16 in stock :):)

Thanks again!

Just picked up the Ikea swing and despite that the webbing is designed a bit "pouchy" (to better hold a kid), it seems to be doing the job just fine ;)

(NB. disclaimer limits load at 70kg but it seems quite robust ... )

• Upvote 1

Khaled Chatila
19 hours ago, Jonas Forsberg said:

Just picked up the Ikea swing and despite that the webbing is designed a bit "pouchy" (to better hold a kid), it seems to be doing the job just fine ;)

(NB. disclaimer limits load at 70kg but it seems quite robust ... )

Yes indeed it works a charm - I've wrapped it with some neoprene from an old wetsuit and folded over the pouch - much more comfy now :)
I've connected it to one of those top of the door frame dip bars...

Yes - it does say 70Kg, but I'm 92kg and it's holding up quite well (bought two just in case, heh)

Loving it :)

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Went to home depot and got the Swing N Slide Brand XD_Blue_swing-lt__66435_zoom.jpg

Works great and is comfortable.  Added climbing carabiners at 350lb working load and climbing rope as well. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 3.40.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-10-08 at 3.40.44 PM.png

Edited by Kyle Stremme
Finished my straps. Work great!
  • Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...
Lyonel Tjong

So how do you attach the IKEA swing to the stallbars? The nonadjustable strap  runs kinda long. 

Edited by lyonel

David McManamon

Somebody in the DIY crowd is going to use the wrong materiel with a weak link and it is going to break, hopefully not at the worst moment and not in a catastrophic way.

Do not just pick-up any strap lying around the house that may or may not have been intended for the loads you intend to place on it, it is absolutely worth knowing the maximum breaking strength and WLL of the product you are using because the cost of failure can be extremely high.

• Upvote 2

Jonas Forsberg
4 hours ago, David McManamon said:

Somebody in the DIY crowd is going to use the wrong materiel with a weak link and it is going to break, hopefully not at the worst moment and not in a catastrophic way.

Do not just pick-up any strap lying around the house that may or may not have been intended for the loads you intend to place on it, it is absolutely worth knowing the maximum breaking strength and WLL of the product you are using because the cost of failure can be extremely high.

Very good point David! 

With that in mind, I believe this thread originated from the fact that the genuine GST-back strap wasn't available to purchase and would remain unavailable for an unforeseen period of time.