For those of you who started on the 4th its been 1 full week. How is it going? Did you make all of your daily objectives? If not what held you up? How did you overcome that? Do you still need help with something?
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
1 Week Down
Started by Jeff Serven, January 11, 2016 · 63 Replies · 1,955 Views
Don't be a weirdo and just read this post and not comment.
I already drink lots of water so that task was easy. I also eat eggs with my first meal of the day, so the healthy fat with breakfast was easy too. I eat vegetables with most dinners but probably not every dinner, so that might take more work this week.
So far, so good. Hardest is actually not to forget to save tasks. ![]()
I've always drunk quite a bit of water, so it was just a matter of making sure I was never under 1L. So I got a 1L bottle. Hard stuff! As for fats, it's not too hard either. Just need to make sure I always have healthy fats around, unless I want to drink oil for breakfast because I don't have nuts or eggs! Veggies is going to be easy too. I generally considered a meal a 'fail' if didn't have 2-3 types of veggies in it (unless I had quite a bit of different fruits to compensate), so one isn't going to be too hard.
Basically, I've been doing what is required for a while now. I'll just wait until some complicated task comes along.
Fats and veggies are no problem, I've been eating them already. Water is kind of new to me, but no problem there either. So everything is fine, maybe except that you took away my cake from me.!
Bro said:So far, so good. Hardest is actually not to forget to save tasks.
I've always drunk quite a bit of water, so it was just a matter of making sure I was never under 1L. So I got a 1L bottle. Hard stuff! As for fats, it's not too hard either. Just need to make sure I always have healthy fats around, unless I want to drink oil for breakfast because I don't have nuts or eggs! Veggies is going to be easy too. I generally considered a meal a 'fail' if didn't have 2-3 types of veggies in it (unless I had quite a bit of different fruits to compensate), so one isn't going to be too hard.
Basically, I've been doing what is required for a while now. I'll just wait until some complicated task comes along.
I'm pretty much in line with Bro's comment.
So far so good and happy to see that I was already doing it right. Also there are few improvements I'm making, I've been using deodorized coconut oil and not the extra virgin one so I need to change that, also 30% of dinners I have raw vegetables now I need to start cooking it
Hydration was the perfect start. Breakfast fats has been the direction I've been headed for some time. What I am enjoying is the increased consciousness and excitement I have for nutrition. Nice work everyone.
So far so good here. Water and breakfast fats have been part of my daily nutrition for years. Look forward to the program ramping up soon and finding something new to challenge me.
Great so far, excited to wake up every Monday and Thursday. Also enjoy reading the material very much, although some references for further study would be a nice addition.
New for me so far was drinking water consciously, got a 1 L water bottle to address this.
So far so good! Just like hollow body and plank work, mastering the basics with hydration and healthy fats has been a much welcome refresher. Getting in some good veggies for dinner this week as well. Thanks Jeff!
First week, no problem. Keep it coming.
The only change I had to make was to add healthy fat for breakfast. I usually eat fruits for breakfast, so I added a tablespoon of coconut butter. Looking forward to new tasks!
Until now, it's pretty easy, just to remember to save the tasks almost failed for me one night but I realized it in the last moment haha!
It's an awesome course, and I can't wait to progress more with it!
I have no problems so far and I'm glad to participate in the course.
I think a big issue for me will be to reduce my intake of grains drastically ...
Thank you Jeff.
I was surprised I was not drinking the 1L of water per day. I feel better from doing that. That fat at breakfast was already happening, but I changed the quality. Fairly easy change.
Jeff - I should mention that someone has taken me hostage. I think the only way to defeat this enemy is to release all the tasks for the next 4 weeks. Can you help me?
No. You should have joined Boy Scouts instead of developing your body with Nintendo
So far so good. I've been in the habit of drinking lots of water, but I found the health tracking app on my smartphone is useful to tally how many glasses of water I'm drinking throughout the day. It's just one more way to keep myself accountable before I tick that task off.
I was relieved to hear that dairy makes the list of approved fats. I'm from the midwest, the land of cheddar. Fried eggs must be fried with butter because if you use any other fat it's heresy. It isn't a fried egg anymore. It's something else. Find a different name.
I had been guilty of cooking with olive oil, but I will definitely reserve it for low temp preparations from now on. I had never tried coconut oil because honestly, I've seen it in too many "he lost 20 lbs in a week: click to see why doctor's hate him" click-bait articles. I'll change my mind on that and give it a spin now. It would probably be great in some of the Indian and Thai inspired dinners we make around here occasionally.
Thanks for being so active on the forum, Jeff. It's great to see all the additional tips and a hint of your personality.
The most "difficult" or dramatic change so far has been simply the addition of breakfast, for a long time its been simply pushed back into a larger lunch and large dinner. Now incorporating a third meal means i'm not so bingy, which is an improvement overall.
Since my days in SS and GOMAD I've been using milk as my primary source of hydration, and its probably contributed towards some belly fat, so switching to water has not been hard, and my jug of milk lasts longer.
Vegetables for dinner is easy to do. It is still an adjustment though when it becomes a requirement versus simply something that happens when it happens.
I really hate coconut oil and using it in things that shouldn't taste like coconut, if it contributes flavor in any way i find it disgusting and makes the food inedible to me.
coconut oil took along time for me to get use to. I am with ya' on that one.
I am allergic to eggs and a vegetarian (i.e. also fish will not do as a source for fat. Where can i get from the mentioned DHA?) I use pure coconut oil and mush, i eat butter and cheese like parmesan and feta. Avocado occasionally. Any suggestions concerning healthy fats? Or should that alone work fine?
Objections against walnuts now and then?
Thanks for making me eat much more vegetables!
FNP - A number of points to address here. There are other alleged sources of DHA but they pretty much suck. By comparison to the bioavailability of DHA in cold water fish everything sucks, even fish oil capsules. When you eat a gram of DHA in salmon it has multiple times higher absorption than fish oil and fish oil has multiple times higher absorption than allege.
All plant based sources of "Omega 3" are ALA and ALA are useless. Its up conversion ratio to DHA is like 200 to 1. Or to put it another way; you would have to consume some 200 times more ALA than you needed to up convert to DHA. Where as DHA can very easily down convert to ALA or EPA.
How do you know or should I say why do you think you are allergic to eggs? Are you a hypochondriac? Just kidding...but, seriously.
This may be a personal issue that you don't want to discuss publicly or even privately over PM but, why vegetarian? Do you like the taste of animal products? Are you at all open to some key animal product ingredients like an oyster or two for essential nutrients like DHA?
Compared to tofu, walnuts are a great choice!
Thank you, Jeff.
I am allergic to eggs (and hazelnuts) since my childhood. As a child i became rash and vomit immediately and had allergic asthma. Since my adolescence, my asthma is gone (so lovely not to suffocate slowly!). Today, my reaction to eggs seems reduced to some abdominal pain. But the memory or the connection [-> eggs with rash and asthmatic attacks] is still there and therefore a little aversion, you know?
Concerning my vegetarian diet. My reason is pure ethical. I would never claim a vegan or vegetarian diet to be the healthiest. For sure, from the viewpoint of health or 'function', as you say, i would not insist on this; at least i would eat seafood. But i choose to eat no animals from a ethical perspective of animal rights (since eight years), and do not want to change that. In no way. ![]()
Whether i like the taste or not does not matter for me. That means no fish, no fish oil capsules, no oysters.
But apart from that i am nonetheless very interested in every suggestion you can give me. Maybe theres any top secret vegetarian alternative, which shares at least some of the mentioned benefits of fish.^^
Okay, your egg allergy is legit. No eggs.
Here is a link. Will you please read it? I will answer your questions to the best of my ability after you read this then I quiz you on it ;-)
http://sheldonfrith.com/2015/12/03/letter-to-a-vegetarian-nation-or-we-should-eat-meat/
FNP! Are you reading?.....