Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

equipment used in gymnastics vs bodyweight training

Jesse Kim

Can anyone explain the difference in equipment used for gymnastics vs Gymnastic Strength Training™? For example, when comparing the high bar bar and parallel bars in gymnastics to, say, a pull up bar and parallel bars you see in the average park, the material they are made out of is very different; in gymnastics, I believe high bar/parallel bars have fiber glass constructed inside a steel coating or something similar why the ones you see in a park are simply metal.

Does fiber glass enable a gymnast to experience the g-forces on high bar/uneven bar or can they still experience it regardless of the raw material used? What about parallel bars? Or, dare I say, grass/sand/concrete vs spring floor in gymnastics?

Doug Grainger

...and the stuff outside has to last through hot, cold, sun, and rain. Gymnastics equipment is usually kept indoors and climate controlled.

Joshua Slocum

The high bar is made out of rolled steel. It is designed to flex; this allows a skilled gymnast to store potential energy in the flexion of the bar for e.g. dismounts and flight elements, and also makes swinging less stressful on the shoulders. Older parallel bars were made of wood: newer bars are made of fiberglass. Parallel bars flex, for the same reason as high bars: you can use the flexion to store potential energy and perform harder skills. The floor used in gymnastics also has springs for the same reason. In contrast, the rings do not have springs in them, which makes swinging considerably harder: on the rings a giant swing (swinging through a handstand) is a "B" element (the iron cross is also as "B"), whereas on the high bar a giant swing is an "A" (a back lever on rings is also an "A").

The high bar is made out of rolled steel. It is designed to flex; this allows a skilled gymnast to store potential energy in the flexion of the bar for e.g. dismounts and flight elements, and also makes swinging less stressful on the shoulders. Older parallel bars were made of wood: newer bars are made of fiberglass. Parallel bars flex, for the same reason as high bars: you can use the flexion to store potential energy and perform harder skills. The floor used in gymnastics also has springs for the same reason. In contrast, the rings do not have springs in them, which makes swinging considerably harder: on the rings a giant swing (swinging through a handstand) is a "B" element (the iron cross is also as "B"), whereas on the high bar a giant swing is an "A" (a back lever on rings is also an "A").

Would giants on a normal pull up bar be more riskier than on a gymnastics high bar?

Joshua Slocum

Would giants on a normal pull up bar be more riskier than on a gymnastics high bar?

*If* the bar is capable of holding up to the forces involved, and you're using similarly effective mats, then the risk should be about the same, minus (I'm guessing) a higher risk of repetitive impact/stress related injuries (think kipping pull ups).

*If* the bar is capable of holding up to the forces involved, and you're using similarly effective mats, then the risk should be about the same, minus (I'm guessing) a higher risk of repetitive impact/stress related injuries (think kipping pull ups).

I see; that would make more sense. I always thought that the material used in the equipment contributes at least a little bit to the forces gymnasts go through when doing low/high leveled skills, but I think what I'm getting here is that it's entirely up to the gymnast and the apparatus plays somewhat of a role.