Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

starter equipment help

Kenneth Patelli

Kenneth Patelli

So here's the deal.

I started Gymnastics as a young adult. I was too old to compete but I had a coach who let me train with the kids regardless. I was able to perform in mock exhibitions where i actually comlpeted level 3, 4, 5, 6, and was on level 7 when my time in gymnastics came to an end. My coach was leasing space from a girl's gym and they determined the boy's program wasn't profitable enough and we got the boot. after that, i tried to go to the weight room and stay in shape for a couple years. i eventually moved from california to connecticut and could never get the fire back. I haven't stepped in a gym in a few years. i have a belly. i can barely do 10 pull ups. i'm ashamed. luckily my lady got me the foundation 1 and handstand 1 series package for christmas this year. i'm now in my 30's and ready to dive in.

so I logged in to the courses. I set up a workout plan. I noticed the 3 day foundation plan was a little off from what i was looking for so i modified it. one half on one day (same setup as default), one half on another day (same as default), and the 3rd day all 7. then i spaced them out so i could do handstand series between. a perfect little 5 day plan.

now i have everything ready. i want to get started. but i'm browsing the videos to get an idea of what's to come and i'm quickly realizing i need equipment. does anyone have a list of equipment (as all encompassing as possible) that i'll need to get? I have a pullup bar and i have adjustable rings but that's it. i feel like i may need a mat of some kind to roll out of handstands? i'll need a stall bar? i'll need a weighted bar for mobility exercises?

what is recommended overall. I remember back at the gym there were these large red and yellow p-bar training blocks to practice swings with and we would use them for handstand pushups and other things. but all of my memories are in a gym with real equipment. what is logical to start with at home? maybe for a spare room to build into a mini gym? i'll get started right now but want to buy equipment and take this as seriously as possible. any recommendations help.

wish me luck.

Ken

Joshua Slocum

First of all, start right away - when you run into something you can't do, make a note of it and then come back to that later. Don't let lack of equipment be a reason to not work out at all :)

A good place to start would be:

adjustable rings

soft floor (grass, a carpet or a yoga mat on top of a hardfloor works well)

~4' wooden rod or broomstick

5# weight plate that fits around the broomstick

You can do ~80% of the exercises in F1 and H1 with just this. Many other exercises you can find a way to do with some clever substitutions. Later on in Foundation you'll need a set of stall bars (or to get particularly clever with the substitutions) but that's the only other major equipment hurdle I can think of.

• Upvote 2