Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

[Coming Soon] GB Thrive: Nutrition for Lasting Results

Scott Malin

We are pleased to announce that the first nutrition course from GymnasticBodies will be coming soon. If you haven't seen the latest blog and the embedded video, you can check it out below.

The New Year in the Western world has two major traditions: a countdown to January 1st and resolutions to become more fit and eat better. Sadly, most of these resolutions fail before the end of the month. Why? In the excitement of the New Year and making life changes, students opt for the most dramatic ways to reinvent themselves. Cleanses, starvation, diving headfirst into diet x,y or z are all perfect examples of how to fail. GymnasticBodies instead uses the reverse approach of mastering small changes one at a time until the entire lifestyle has transformed.

https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forget-yo-yo-dieting-thrive-with-gb-nutrition/

https://www.facebook.com/GymnasticBodies/videos/1139405826083116/

• Upvote 7

Mark Schoenhard

Outstanding.  Now GB will be outlining the other 80% of my training.  Many thanks.

Will it be possible to adjust this diet for vegans, or should vegans use other resources?

The linked article says it's not about any certain kind of diet, I'm pretty sure it would work for vegans as long as you know how to get your macros.

• Upvote 1

Alexander Egebak

I have to ask this question, but why would one choose the GB nutrition course over other existing plans already existing out there? I understand that the GB team is full of strength training experts but what qualifies you to make a nutrition course?

• Upvote 4

...and if there is an official GB position on nutrition, why is this section of the forums so sketchy?

That is a public section of the forum, open for wide ranging discussion, as long as no name calling is involved.

Murray Truelove

...and if there is an official GB position on nutrition, why is this section of the forums so sketchy?

Have to agree. The only time the nutrition section has ever been any good was when Joshua Naterman was active.

• Upvote 2

I have to ask this question, but why would one choose the GB nutrition course over other existing plans already existing out there? I understand that the GB team is full of strength training experts but what qualifies you to make a nutrition course?

Simple. Because it is accurate.

Jeff in addition to being a former Navy SEAL and an NFL strength & nutrition coach also built himself up from 145lbs 6' tall when he started BUDS to 175lbs when he left the SEALs to 220lbs a few years later. And this was primarily done thru Nutrition.

At the same time after his leaving the Teams, Jeff took up Olympic Lifting and in only 3-4 years was able to Clean and Jerk just shy of 400lbs.

So the bottom line is; Jeff is a stud. He is a warrior. He is a professional strength coach for NFL, NHL and MLB. In fact, he not only works with them - they seek him out to do so.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 2

Sorry for my ignorance about US sports system, but do all strength coaches study Nutrition or are qualified about it?

He might have great military/strength qualifications and be a stud himself, but developing a nutrition system for everybody is another pair of shoes.

About nutrition I haven´t seen many new things under the sun than the obvious already established.

Sorry for my ignorance about US sports system, but do all strength coaches study Nutrition or are qualified about it?

He might have great military/strength qualifications and be a stud himself, but developing a nutrition system for everybody is another pair of shoes.

About nutrition I haven´t see many new things under the sun than the obvious already established.

Let's review Jeff's qualifications.  

1) Jeff began his nutritional training with Charles Poliquin and is currently one of Charles' most senior students worldwide.  

You want science?  You want proof?  You want to know the hows and the whys?  You are going to get your wish and then some.  This course is amazingly detailed and researched. 

2) Jeff has personally gotten real world practical results.  How many of you have built 50lbs of muscle?  How many of you capable of placing nearly 400lbs overhead?  

The other half of this course is all about practical results and taking action.  As such, this course is behavior based.  If you fail on your assignment, the course will not unlock and will not allow you to move forward to the next step in the curriculum until you do succeed.  Yes, this is going to piss some of you off.  Tough.

3) Jeff works with professional athletes as a strength/nutrition coach because his students get real world results.  Which means contracts worth millions of dollars.  Now these athletes have the financial means to go and train anywhere and they choose to come to work with Jeff.  You might want to think about that more deeply for a moment.

Bottom line:  Jeff is an extremely high level coach and you are very fortunate to have the opportunity to learn from him.

Now this being the Nutrition forum, some of the regulars of this section of the forum are under the illusion that they know more than they actually do.  Because they once read an article somewhere.  Because they have spent hours scouring the internet for their next nutritional 'magic bullet'.  

Now they haven't gained a significant amount of either muscle or strength, but they sure are vocal in expressing their opinion about what works and doesn't work - despite all evidence to the contrary.

This is GymnasticBodies, gentlemen.  Here measurable, practical results are the order of the day.  How you 'feel' about nutrition or what your individual preferences are meaningless in the abscence of those measurable results.

The wild west days of the GB Nutrition forum are now officially over.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 14

Jonathan Pettit

Within the NHL at least, nutrition has been a market inefficiency over the last 30 years.  In the 80s, you would see players smoke and drink during intermission.  Even in the 90s and early 2000s you would see incredible athletes with relatively poor diets.  Not the smoking and the drinking during games, but definitely the pizza and the chicken wings afterwards.

Within the last 10 years, though, nutrition has come well to the forefront.  It started with Steven Stamkos, a promising rookie who had a somewhat checkered first year.  He worked with Gary Roberts in the off-season, a fitness and nutrition guru, and next year he absolutely exploded.  At the time he credited the improved nutrition as a big jumpstarter for him, and several more high-profile stars have followed suit.  Now you hear everyone talking about food and nutrition all the time, to the point where an athlete eating a hotdog become a big story in the last year.

Teams have learned that proper training and nutrition can greatly improve the on-ice results, and in the last few years they have invested untold amounts of money into research and hiring the best.  Gary Roberts is the best known name, likely because he is Canadian in a sport Canadians adore, but I've heard Jeff Severn's name branded about as well.  In professional sports, you aren't given many second chances.  Get results or get packing.  For a strength and nutrition coach to get return customers is a very good sign.

Everything I outlined above is essentially an appeal to authority argument, I guess, but if teams and players are willing to put athletes with multi-million dollar contracts into his hands, that's a pretty good sign.  It would have been easy for Coach to just throw together a nutrition program based on his experience.  The fact that he partnered with another expert, one whose name is proudly emblazoned on the marketing material so far, looks like GB is taking the extra step to make it not just good, but as good as possible.

• Upvote 2

Thank you for the explanation Coach!

Hope the program has a leaning version. That much bulk would make us too heavy for a planche  ;)

Yours in FATness (at the moment)

• Upvote 1

I'm guessing this won't be the See Food diet Coach talked about so many gymnasts following. Damn it.

You don't need my help with that.  You guys already have that diet down pat.  ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 3

Travis Widmann

You don't need my help with that.  You guys already have that diet down pat.   ;)

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

I was just so close to mastering the complete See Food curriculum. Oh well, guess I'll have to start over. First meal: humble pie.

• Upvote 7

Cameron Williams

Are there details as to exactly when the nutrition program is coming out and how much it will cost?

I'm very much looking forward to this!

Thanks,

Cam

May i ask who exactly jeff trained? A quick google search about him brings up nothing except some articles for the poliquin website and a link to the crossfit gym he works at.

How will users "prove" success? Scale weight? Body fat measurements? Food logs?

Excellent question.

First, time for a little hard truth.  

Nutritionally speaking, most of you tend to have what I call the 'Shiny Monkey Syndrome':

1) You see something new and want to pick it up and play with it; usually the latest media generated nutritional crisis/magic bullet/aladdin's lamp that first fills you with either Fear or Elation and then simultaneously promises to physically get you where you want to go in the shortest possible time and with the least amount of effort.  Eureka!  Your long awaited moment of triumph is now at hand.

2) You play with your new nutritional toy to the exclusion of all else - for a time.  Unfortunately the promised miraculous results are slow coming and frustration begins to creep in and push aside your previously boundless enthusiasm.  After all - it's been weeks already!

3) Then you see a new shiny object, and dropping your previously beloved shiny object, you now feverishly clutch the new one possessively to your chest.  At last, you have found the nutritional secret you have been endlessly searching for! - until you see your next new shiny object.

4) And this cycle of celebration/frustration goes on ... and on ... and on.  During which time you fail to master the basics of nutrition and make no substantial progress as you are always jumping from one new concept to another. 

GB Thrive Level 1 is a 12 week course designed to offset this nutritional ADHD and build new nutritional habits by focusing exclusively on mastering the fundamentals of nutrition.  No bells, no whistles, no 'magic bullets'.  At your guys' level these things are distractions which derail long term progress.   You guys are beginners.  Rather than deny it, embrace it so that you can take care of your business and finally move on.

The course begins simply and the gradually increases in complexity over time thru the addition of new nutritional fundamentals which require daily action or 'habits'.

These habits must be successfully implemented for six days in a row to count as 'completed'.  Daily online log entries are required.  Failure to successfully implement the new habit for six days in a row will result in your being required to go back and re-attempt to achieve mastery the following week.  

New nutritional fundamentals/habits are introduced on Mondays and Thursdays.  You focus on sound nutrition Monday thru Saturday with Sundays off.  You should make a reasonable effort to not be a complete nutritional idiot on your day off.

Note that the next section of GB Thrive will not unlock for you until you have successfully completed the prior assignment of 6 days compliance in a row (not counting Sundays).

Each of the nutritional habits is also paired with a lifestyle discussion which either discusses the science behind that particular habit or aids in adjusting your personal lifestyle to more effectively implement GB Thrive.

If you are looking for a quick fix or how to lose 10lbs in 10 days, GB Thrive is not for you.  However if you are serious about finally taking concrete action to implement the essential fundamental building blocks of sound nutrition into your own daily life; then there is no more effective nutritional program anywhere.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

• Upvote 12

... May i ask who exactly jeff trained? ...

Here is a quick overview:

NFL

James Harrison (Pittsburge Steelers)

Jonathan Casillas (N.Y. Giants)

Kyle Fuller (Chicago Bears)

Obrien Schofield (Atlanta Falcons)

Ropati Pitoitua (Tennesse Titans)

Ryan Shazier (Pittsburge Steelers)

Zach More (Minnesota Vikings)

NHL

Zybnek Michalek (Arizona Coyotes)

Martin Erat (fmrly Arizona Coyotes)

Here are a few of Jeff's Client Super Bowl Ring photos for you:

post-1-0-76230500-1451496019_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-23021800-1451496020_thumb.jpgpost-1-0-67352800-1451496020_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

Ha ha! :) 

Perfect words of wisdom coach :) 

Excellent question.

First, time for a little hard truth.  

Nutritionally speaking, most of you tend to have what I call the 'Shiny Monkey Syndrome':.. 

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Perfect words of Wisdom to start the New Year with perfect comedic infusion.. :) I could visualize Coach saying this with a lovely smirk.. Hats Off! to you

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.