Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Stall Bars build question

Kevin Easton

I am 220lbs

I also have kids that are 3 and 5, both enrolled in gymnastics

I'd like to give GB training a shot for overall fitness, stall bars I'm sure would benefit the kids at some point.

Is there any way I can make a set and kill 2 birds with one stone? Bars I can use at 220lbs and bars the kids will be able to use?

Should I make them 3' wide or 4' wide?

1.5" diameter dowels or 1.75"? Dowels need to be thick enough to support me, but too thick and the kids won't be able to grab them.

Or shall I make a set for me and a set for the kids separately?

Hello Easto and welcome to the forums!  I'm in the process of building my own stall bars so I'm constantly trolling around looking for information as well.  I think 1.5" diameter dowels of a good hardwood would be sufficient to support you (I'm nearly 200lbs and my tests on mine have been solid).  My two youngest kids are about the same age as yours and I am using 1.5" oak dowels with the thought of all of us being able to use them.  I am spacing mine at just under 3'.  I think anything wider could allow them to sag and possibly break.  Good luck with your training, I think Gymnastic Strength Training™ is hands down the best way to go whether you are just looking for overall fitness, health/longevity, or amazing strength.  It's fun and the results are unmatched.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
Kevin Easton

I have found an online source in Canada for dowels.

Since I am over 220lbs (working on bring this down) I am leaning towards 1 3/4 diameter dowels that are 3' in length.

I have narrowed it down to the following:

Ash - $258.15

Hard Maple - $257.85

Red Oak - $210.30

White Oak - $316.50

This is the price for 15 dowels.

Can someone help me narrow down which is these species of wood would be the best

Doug Grainger

Ash and red oak have very open grain. Hard maple is used for guitar necks, and will probably feel really nice compared to the others.

As long as they are cut correctly and don't have run out, all 4 are very strong, structurally.

Maple is a good choice, there's a reason that it is used to make rings, skateboards, snowboard cores etc... Strong with good flex.