Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Building multiple stall bars - ideas?

Ryan Bailey

Looking for some ideas before I start cutting my way through some wood.

I have a question regarding multiple stall bars in a series.

I have seen some nice examples of single, home made stall bar sets. But, my question is how to make multiple in a row (like the ones we all see in Coach's mastery videos). Maybe this has been addressed somewhere before. For example, I have a 12 foot wide open space where I think 4 sets of ~3 foot wide stall bars could go. I wonder if I should buy one long rung and sandwich them somehow between verticle supports for bracing every 3 feet? Or, should I simply make multiple stall bars and connect them? Am I making any sense?

Basically, wondering if there is a different building approach for mass producing multiple side by side bars.

Thanks for any ideas!

Ryan

Doug Grainger

Sourcing 12 foot dowels may be a concern. They would probably be a pain to deal with if a rung broke, as well. I would probably build 2 separate stall bars and mount them adjacent to each other.

• Upvote 1

We have just what you're talking about at my facility. I also have a single stall bar at home.

I could snap a few photos of the details and post them, if that would help? Please quote this message if yes, so I would be notified.

I have also tried taking some of these apart on different occasions, and they do indeed have rungs that span across multiple vertical supports.

Detail: The ones I have disassembled have been pro-quality, and they had the rungs nailed to the inner support, then the outer support sandwiched on top of the rungs. Screws were placed not into the rungs, but between them.

• Upvote 2

We have just what you're talking about at my facility. I also have a single stall bar at home.

I could snap a few photos of the details and post them, if that would help? Please quote this message if yes, so I would be notified.

I have also tried taking some of these apart on different occasions, and they do indeed have rungs that span across multiple vertical supports.

Detail: The ones I have disassembled have been pro-quality, and they had the rungs nailed to the inner support, then the outer support sandwiched on top of the rungs. Screws were placed not into the rungs, but between them.

Great info. I was trying to visualize that. Could you post a picture of drawing of that?

Yes Ravn, that would be great!

Here are two pictures of the areas I am thinking of putting them. Sorry for the angle of the pics.

The first pic: 2 large, verticle support beems 10 inch x 10 inch (12 feet high) 8" x 8", horizontal top beam, spanning the 12 feet, as you can see, no wall support.

2nd pic: the location already has 2x8 verticle supports 6.5 feet appart, with a couple 2x6 boards on the back wall.

Thanks,

Ryan

post-16980-0-67000300-1446690118_thumb.j

post-16980-0-92741000-1446690227_thumb.j

Yes Ravn, that would be great!

Here are two pictures of the areas I am thinking of putting them. Sorry for the angle of the pics.

The first pic: 2 large, verticle support beems 10 inch x 10 inch (12 feet high) 8" x 8", horizontal top beam, spanning the 12 feet, as you can see, no wall support.

2nd pic: the location already has 2x8 verticle supports 6.5 feet appart, with a couple 2x6 boards on the back wall.

Thanks,

Ryan

I'll take some shots Saturday, and will post asap.

• Upvote 1

As Ravn says, the standard way of doing stall bars here is to use a long dowel. The Uprights have a notch in front that the dowel sits in and the dowel is also notched to fit. Keep in mind the rungs are also usual oval shaped.

A cap piece, (similar to floor moulding) is screwed over the length of the front of the upright.

When designed correctly, breakage doesn't seem to be a big issue. At least in the dozen or so gyms I've been to with this style bars, I haven't seen a broken rung yet.

• Upvote 2

Thanks Ravn for the pics, but this is what I was curious to see - What this actually looked like as I have a bit of trouble visualizing this.

Since, I am considering asking a Carpenter to do this, I wanted to be clear I knew how it was in factory original stall bars. 

PS: We've seen enough completed stall bars :) ha ha! 

Well, the only thing you can't see in the pictures is that the rungs are nailed or screwed to the support that is fixed to the wall. Then the outer support is screwed on top of the rungs.

I'll get hell if I disassemble those stall bars, man! 8)

• Upvote 2

There is no one way to make stall bars, you'll all kinds, but at least where I am, most wood ones use the method Ravn photographed.

Look close and you'll see the cap piece is exactly 1/2 the width of the rung with oval notches. Any carpenter will understand how it's done.

It's not required to go oval, you can do the same thing with a round dowel, and it will be a lot easier and cheaper, especially if you go with a carpenter.

Jared Birbeck

I built a single set at home. I used a combo of wood and steel. I used a 33.7mm round steel tubing )2mm wall thickness) for the bars. My steel supplier cut these to length but they came in 6m lengths so easy enough to use for a number of sets across the wall. It is significantly stronger than hard wood the same size and significantly cheaper. 

I should post a pic but essentially my single set is  2 lengths of structural pine either and bars between. I used a 35mm spade bit to drill out holes in the pine for the bars to rest in and glued them in place. so it I was to do multiple sets I'd do the same but in the pine between the two sets I'd drill the hole all the way through. 

Well, the only thing you can't see in the pictures is that the rungs are nailed or screwed to the support that is fixed to the wall. Then the outer support is screwed on top of the rungs.

I'll get hell if I disassemble those stall bars, man! 8)

ha ha! When you were describing it, i thought you already had that open - figured it would make sense to see what it looks like instead of trying to visualize what you wrote :) Maybe draw it out if you can :P  haha!