Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The frog stand

Morad

So I can hold in the frog stand for 10-15 secs uninturpted. but I feel plenty of pressure on my wrists because I have to bend them in a more than 90 degrees just like the kid in coach sommer's article. Is this pressur ok?

I also feel Im using my bones and joints more than my muscles, am I doing anything wrong?

Im 27 male 5'8" 135 lbs. 50+ pushups. 9-12 pullups

Edward Smith

remember what coach said in the article, you can have your hands out at any angle so you might wanna fiddle around with and find what's comfortable. also me and george sorry George and I had wrist pain (nothing too serious for me just uncomfortable not sure how bad for George) and we've come to a bit of a conclusion putting things like handstands and planches last to reduce wrist pain (most probably due to being warmed up) and also with that I've found my planche training easier (I haven't increased sets or reps I just don't feel knackered after) and more enjoyable.

with the joints over muscle I don't know excatly what you mean, personally i find when i perform frog stands that i'm resting on my arms, is that what you mean?

Edward Smith

oww yes and George please correct me if I'm wrong about my referral to our discussion about placing static holds near the end and having dynamic stuff first (another post I can't find :roll: )

George Launchbury

Hi Morad,

Things definitely feel a little weird swapping over to levers after dynamic strength. A lot of the initial progress you'll make is your body getting comfortable with the strange angles, and supporting your elbows in the extended postion ...not to mention balancing!

Ed - you're correct in that our findings were that our wrists hurt less doing static holds toward the end of the workout.

Coach Sommer wrote an 'essay' regarding wrist conditioning a while ago (here) which might help protect and prepare your wrists. I found the exercises helped immensely.

Note to Ed - If I'm having trouble tracking down a post, I'll click on the author's profile, and then click the view all posts link. Though the lists are getting a little larger now for some people. :)

My advice: go easy on the wrists to start with, and maybe do some of the work on parallettes which allow you to carry on working with your wrists at a more comfortable angle. Keep up the work on the floor, though, if that is your goal. Listen to your body, and rest up when it tells you to.

Good luck with your training,

George.