Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

veganism in gymnasts

hannahandstand

hannahandstand

My younger sister is 16 and has been a vegetarian and VERY picky eater since I can remember. All she would get for her breakfast and lunch in kindergarden was one milk bar, that's it. Mom would pack us those lovely packages with fruit sticks, veggie animals and she tried so many different sandwiches: sweet, savoury, with bread crum and without, she tried giving her warm meals in thermo.. nothing worked. Later in that day she would eat some banana and then a bowl of plain rice or noodles. My whole family is skinny and  very sporty, we eat healthily but occasionally eat junk food. I think my parents did very well in teaching us the right way!

So when we both started gymnastics (my sister did acro), it was actually the first time she felt "hungry". But would you guess her eating pattern changed? NO WAY! 

She would eat the same everyday for years, just a little more. The funny thing is, I am not really bigger than her, although I eat loads!
She weighs 108lbs and is almost 64,2''. I know this is skinny for a 17 year old, but I am pretty much the same. 

So my sis is still doing acro. She is doing regular high school until about 3 or 4pm, then she goes to the gym and trains there for about 2-3 hours. She then comes home and we both hang out together and stretch :)

I watched closely the last days and will tell you how her day is.

7:30 am get up
8:00 she has a big cup of hot chocolate with almond milk
11:00 at school she eats a big bowl of oats from our cafeteria (it is 100gr of plain oats with just a small spoon of honey and hot water)
15:00 she eats a banana and a handful of mixed nuts
16:00-19:00 Acro Training (they do all the normal stuff like handstands, basic conditioning like hollow rockers, a little tumbling and then partner work)
20:30 comes home and eats a big bowl of rice with frozen veggies, ketchup and a few tomatoes on the side
21:00-22:00 "Sister Time", we hang out together and stretch, because in our gym there is usually no time to do so
Then before bed she will have another cup of hot chocolate with almond milk

We tried to offer her variety, she will try a few days but then get back to her "normal" eating habits.

So, that is basically her day! I am pretty sure she doesn't do it because she has an eating disorder. She just doesn't value food at all, she doesn't mind! 

She never stated herself as a vegan, she would also drink milk occasionally, but actually she is vegan considering her eating habits.

Do you think this can be dangerous? My parents used to worry but doctors told them her blood levels are fine, so they should not worry, although a little more weights would definitely not harm.

PS: We both take a multivit pill everyday. 

Any help appreciated

Murray Truelove

Your question is really beyond the scope of this forum. If she sees a doctor regularly and is in good health and at a healthy BMI then I can't see how it's dangerous but this really is a question for a health care professional.

You might consider discussing nutrition in terms of athletic performance but this can be very individual - I workout before breakfast and don't notice any negative effects, others need something before hand or they feel sluggish. 

Your sister is really tall!

• Upvote 4

For b12...get methylcobalmin instead of the cheaper cyanocobalamin. Methylcobalamin is easier for the body to use than cyanocobalamin.

Veganism and gymnastics... There isn't a problem there.

Due to the amount of natural hormones flowing through your sister's body: her hair, skin, and nails will be better looking than yours.  She has a stronger and a lower resting heart beat. which in turn means more stamina/endurance, her body recovers from injury faster, and she will have a longer life span than the most common humans. Plus her bones are naturally stronger.

For anyone who wants to bring up the "What about Protein" question....The plant cell wall is made up of three different types of protein. The cell wall for animal tissue is made up just one type of protein. All fruits, nuts, and vegetables have protein.

• Upvote 1

Sarah Gleeson

Rayne, only people who have trouble methylating B vitamins need the methylcobalamin. That requires a test. Not everyone will thrive on a vegan diet, and not everyone will thrive on strict meat and vegetables.

• Upvote 3

multivitamin is a waste of money.  generally people don't need them it is more psychological than biological.  some vitamins inhibit other vitamins so having a multi could mean you just wont absorb some of it.   if you actually need supplementation (maybe talk to a doctor to find out) then figure out which ones you need and take those/ eat something to get more of it and save some money.

• Upvote 2

Rayne, only people who have trouble methylating B vitamins need the methylcobalamin. That requires a test. Not everyone will thrive on a vegan diet, and not everyone will thrive on strict meat and vegetables.

Have you ever followed the Vegan diet? I still am and have no intentions on ever going back to the standard "American" diet.  I for one know anyone can thrive on vegan diet. All you have to do is compare the digestive system of an heribavore, carnivore, and the human. 

Please realize part of my college education is in skin care. I know what a healthy body looks like, from just looking at any part of your skin.  I am not fooled by the make up on faces. I have had a dermatologist tell me, that my skin is the healthiest she has have ever seen. The dermatologist herself follows the standard "American" diet. 

The "American" Heart Associate recommends the Vegan diet to maintain a healthy cardio vascular system. How many people don't want to live for as long as possible? How many women want that "Pregrency glow" without having to be pregrant?

Personally speaking, I went vegan for all health benefits and stay with the lifestyle for all other reasons. My family has a history of type 2 diabetes, obesity, heart attacks, and stroke all because of the standard "American" diet.

In regards to cobalamin(AKA B12)

Methylcobalamin  Is an active form of cobalamin and the body doesn't have do anything to it.

Cyanocobalamin  Is an inactive form of cobalamin and body must convert it into the active form. Due to the cyanide in cyanocobalamin the body has to detoxify the supplement before it can be used.

Trust me, I used to consume cyanobalamin supplements and it didn't help me as much as methylcobalamin does.

Just for the sake of information:

1. Methylcobalamin vs. Cyanocobalamin

2. Methylcobalmin vs. Cyanocobalamin

• Upvote 2

Sarah Gleeson

I have not and would not ever become vegan. I'm not a hater of it, and if it works for you I don't see any reason why you shouldn't continue to be vegan. I disagree with you that it can work for anyone. Over time many will develop deficiencies that can only be corrected by supplementation. That's not how I would choose to get my nutrients. I also wouldn't choose to eat foods that resemble foods I like such as cheese and meat.

The standard American diet isn't all twinkies and McDonalds. One can be perfectly healthy eating well sourced meats and cheeses, along with a large variety of fruits and vegetables. If that's not you, then that's not you. I'm not trying to tell you not to be vegan.

• Upvote 7

Mmm... this thread is making me hungry; especially because I am reading it, a little shaky, just after finishing an F7 workout. I could totally go for a vegan meal right about now...

I would just prefer to "supplement" it with some wild venison, or fish, however :-)

• Upvote 3

I have not and would not ever become vegan. I'm not a hater of it, and if it works for you I don't see any reason why you shouldn't continue to be vegan. I disagree with you that it can work for anyone. Over time many will develop deficiencies that can only be corrected by supplementation. That's not how I would choose to get my nutrients. I also wouldn't choose to eat foods that resemble foods I like such as cheese and meat.

The standard American diet isn't all twinkies and McDonalds. One can be perfectly healthy eating well sourced meats and cheeses, along with a large variety of fruits and vegetables. If that's not you, then that's not you. I'm not trying to tell you not to be vegan.

If you haven't ever been, nor ever plan on being Vegan. Don't talk like you know everything about it. I used to follow the standard "American" diet and was the healthiest in my family. As a Vegan I remain the healthiest in my entire family.  Deficiencies can develop in anyone's body.

Feel free to  disagree with the all of the knowledge all you wish. It won't change the facts that the human digestive system is not meant for digesting animal tissue. The human digestive system is just too slow for the consumption of animal tissue. What ever isn't liquified by the acids in your stomach isn't liquified in your intestines. The human intestines are for the absorbtion of nutrients not the liquification of food.

Where in my post did I mention anything about twinkies and McDonalds? The Standard "American" Diet is taught to every child that attends public school as if that is what the human species is supposed to consume. If you watch television or movies you see the Standard "American" Diet being reinforced as "Normal" and everything other than that is odd or strange.

Enjoy your monthly cramps and bloating. When you get pregnant enjoy the morning sickness that you body goes through as it purifies itself of all the toxins that still remain in your body. Enjoy the "Pregnancy Glow" while you have it for a short time. Enjoy your brittle nails, your dull skin tone, dull hair sheen, and dull looking whites of your eyes. By all means enjoy your the rotted carcass as you consume it.

Enjoy the consquences of your actions. I am not here to tell you or anyone else what to eat. I went vegan because of the health benefits and remain vegan because of all the other reasons.

I am only posting in this thread as a witness to the health benefits of the Vegan diet.

• Upvote 2

Murray Truelove

I'm recently vegetarian and in the process of going vegan.

At first I was worried about hitting my macros but after a bit of research it seems easily achievable.

Avocado, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans, lentils and rice are all calorie dense. Vegetables are of course nutrient dense. I'm hitting 100g of protein a day from vegan sources so no worries there either (I do use a vegan protein powder, only 1 scoop though).

I supplement with vitamin D, omega oil (flax, hemp, pumpkin, olive and evening primrose), zinc, magnesium and B12.

I can't see anything detrimental about a vegan diet.

Vytautas Pilkauskas

It won't change the facts that the human digestive system is not meant for digesting animal tissue. The human digestive system is just too slow for the consumption of animal tissue.

But it is being digested because human bodies adapt and while one can feel great being a vegan, like you, the other will feel great eating some fish, like me. Honestly, I feel awesome after I get some fish with rice and vegetables.

Your question is really beyond the scope of this forum. If she sees a doctor regularly and is in good health and at a healthy BMI then I can't see how it's dangerous but this really is a question for a health care professional.

You might consider discussing nutrition in terms of athletic performance but this can be very individual - I workout before breakfast and don't notice any negative effects, others need something before hand or they feel sluggish. 

I like Murray's first post.

I also want to add something... One of the last things I would want a healthy, active, teenage girl to worry about is diet choices. There are so many other things to worry about and most of us know that food choices and beliefs change quite a bit through life.

And as a father, I am very happy to hear how active these young girls are and believe this should be the main positive aspect in which to focus.

• Upvote 1

Sarah Gleeson

If you haven't ever been, nor ever plan on being Vegan. Don't talk like you know everything about it. I used to follow the standard "American" diet and was the healthiest in my family. As a Vegan I remain the healthiest in my entire family.  Deficiencies can develop in anyone's body.

Feel free to  disagree with the all of the knowledge all you wish. It won't change the facts that the human digestive system is not meant for digesting animal tissue. The human digestive system is just too slow for the consumption of animal tissue. What ever isn't liquified by the acids in your stomach isn't liquified in your intestines. The human intestines are for the absorbtion of nutrients not the liquification of food.

Where in my post did I mention anything about twinkies and McDonalds? The Standard "American" Diet is taught to every child that attends public school as if that is what the human species is supposed to consume. If you watch television or movies you see the Standard "American" Diet being reinforced as "Normal" and everything other than that is odd or strange.

Enjoy your monthly cramps and bloating. When you get pregnant enjoy the morning sickness that you body goes through as it purifies itself of all the toxins that still remain in your body. Enjoy the "Pregnancy Glow" while you have it for a short time. Enjoy your brittle nails, your dull skin tone, dull hair sheen, and dull looking whites of your eyes. By all means enjoy your the rotted carcass as you consume it.

Enjoy the consquences of your actions. I am not here to tell you or anyone else what to eat. I went vegan because of the health benefits and remain vegan because of all the other reasons.

I am only posting in this thread as a witness to the health benefits of the Vegan diet.

Rayne, it's weird that you're getting angry about this.  I never attacked you for being vegan, that's your own choice.  I simply said not everyone is meant for it.  We don't need to get into arguments about biology or philosophy here, it just detracts from what this forum is for.

I will however, choose to respond to your personal attack about me.  I have no monthly cramps or bloating and never have.  When I was pregnant, I had no morning sickness either.  What I did have was a small septum in my uterus since I was in utero that may have caused a placental abruption and my son to be born three months early.  He died a month later in the hospital from being too premature.  Diet had nothing to do with that.  My hair and nails have also always been strong.  Strangely, according to you, I get compliments on the brightness of my eyes all the time.  I do enjoy a great steak.

Now, back to talking about gymnastics.  Have a great day.

• Upvote 4

Keilani Gutierrez

I've experimented with a few different sources of food and I got to say, after having gone through a completely plant based, low carb paleo, ovo lacto vegetarian diet archetypes, I came to the conclusion that the best things I could do for my health was simply pay more attention to what I was eating.

if you're doing this and being conscious of how much of what you're eating (like a solid picture of how many vegetables you eat, do you have a soda with your food? add those macros to your numbers too, etc.) you can really have a better handle on your health....as least, from the side of what you can control when you eat.

try whatever you like. :)

just develop the sensibility that if it isn't serving your goals, find a more efficient means suited to your capacity or find a professional that can.

• Upvote 1

Starts as a post about a brother showing care for his sister and turns into Rayne flinging shit at anyone who crosses his path.

Rayne, it's weird that you're getting angry about this.  I never attacked you for being vegan, that's your own choice.  I simply said not everyone is meant for it.  We don't need to get into arguments about biology or philosophy here, it just detracts from what this forum is for.

I will however, choose to respond to your personal attack about me.  I have no monthly cramps or bloating and never have.  When I was pregnant, I had no morning sickness either.  What I did have was a small septum in my uterus since I was in utero that may have caused a placental abruption and my son to be born three months early.  He died a month later in the hospital from being too premature.  Diet had nothing to do with that.  My hair and nails have also always been strong.  Strangely, according to you, I get compliments on the brightness of my eyes all the time.  I do enjoy a great steak.

Now, back to talking about gymnastics.  Have a great day.

Do not assume more than you actually know. I am not angry nor was attacking you at all. Enjoy your choosen eating lifestyle and all of the ailments that goes along with it. 

Matthew Jefferys

Have you ever followed the Vegan diet? I still am and have no intentions on ever going back to the standard "American" diet.  I for one know anyone can thrive on vegan diet. All you have to do is compare the digestive system of an heribavore, carnivore, and the human. 

Please realize part of my college education is in skin care. I know what a healthy body looks like, from just looking at any part of your skin.  I am not fooled by the make up on faces. I have had a dermatologist tell me, that my skin is the healthiest she has have ever seen. The dermatologist herself follows the standard "American" diet. 

The "American" Heart Associate recommends the Vegan diet to maintain a healthy cardio vascular system. How many people don't want to live for as long as possible? How many women want that "Pregrency glow" without having to be pregrant?

Personally speaking, I went vegan for all health benefits and stay with the lifestyle for all other reasons. My family has a history of type 2 diabetes, obesity, heart attacks, and stroke all because of the standard "American" diet.

In regards to cobalamin(AKA B12)

Methylcobalamin  Is an active form of cobalamin and the body doesn't have do anything to it.

Cyanocobalamin  Is an inactive form of cobalamin and body must convert it into the active form. Due to the cyanide in cyanocobalamin the body has to detoxify the supplement before it can be used.

Trust me, I used to consume cyanobalamin supplements and it didn't help me as much as methylcobalamin does.

Just for the sake of information:

1. Methylcobalamin vs. Cyanocobalamin

2. Methylcobalmin vs. Cyanocobalamin

Woah... There is so much misinformation in your posts I don't know where to start.

Firstly, no, not everyone can thrive on a vegan diet. I have mild lupus, and developed serious issues after a few months. I try my best to minimise my animal product consumption, but it's treading a fine line. Someone with serious or even life-threatening lupus could easily die on a strict vegan diet. Telling someone that is like telling someone with MSUD to eat as much protein-rich food as they like.

You also mentioned that the plant wall is made of three different proteins? Care to cite that? My biology studies show that it's almost entirely made of cellulose (an undigestible polysaccharide) and most of the protein content in a plant cell is stored in the nucleus, so the protein in the cell wall is almost irrelevant. Not to mention that all of that is irrelevant, because the total protein content of most plants is very low. Legumes and nuts are the exception.

Furthermore, you say that the human digestive system is not designed to handle meat, yet that disagrees with almost every reputable physiologist to date. If we're not meant to eat meat, why is the human body so well designed for hunting? The shoulder girdle is better suited for throwing rocks and spears than brachiation, as seen in apes. The wrist is also different in that it isn't a spheroidal or ellipsoidal joint like in gibbons, and doesn't function as well with swinging motions compared to our arboreal relatives. Not to mention the fact that we have cuspids and bicuspids which are primarily for slicing flesh. We have forward-facing eyes for binocular vision to pinpoint prey in three-dimensional space (almost all predators have binocular vision, whereas herbivores most often don't, and can't perceive depth). Not to mention the fact that the human digestive tract actually IS designed for meat consumption, and is radically different to a herbivorous diet, such as seen in ruminants, where they have multiple stomachs and are able to digest cellulose. And before you bring up gorillas, know that gorillas eat their own faeces to compensate for their digestive system being ill-equipped for their completely herbivorous diet. Not to mention that all species of the Homo genus ate meat and engaged in predatory behaviour. All without being brain-washed by the "American" diet.

I could move on to how vegan diets seem healthier because of a phenomenon known as the Healthy User Bias, and that health-conscious omnivores actually live longer than vegans, or ask how you think humans acquired cobalamin before the invention of supplements, but that would make this a much longer post.

• Upvote 5

Do not assume more than you actually know. I am not angry nor was attacking you at all. Enjoy your choosen eating lifestyle and all of the ailments that goes along with it.

The "I'm not talking shit. I'm just speaking truth" excuse. Nice.

Dude, this woman had a child. Maybe we could concede that this is not quite in the sphere of our experience and give her full support in raising that newborn.

• Upvote 4

I'm not happy with double-posting, but it seems to me this would be a really good time to espouse ones own opinions/scientific basis thereto rather than attacking anyone.

• Upvote 3

Sarah Gleeson

Hannahandstand,

I apologize your thread got used for an emotional discussion not related to anything that belongs here. As you can see, many hold their nutrition preferences as high as their religion. For your sister, I'm sure she'll be fine. You're a sweet brother for showing. So much care for her!

Any chance she's interested in following along with GB?

Sarah

• Upvote 2

Domz, that's exactly what he said. To qualify it, because damn near every vegan argument towards an omnivorous diet is directed towards the "standard American" diet which isn't a fair comparison. You can't compare a health conscious vegan athlete, to the guy that may or may not exercise sometimes and eats twinkles, then turn around and say veganism is better than an omnivore diet.

But that's exactly what is happening

• Upvote 2