How to overcome tight hip capsules

Started by JasonN, October 21, 2015 · 4 Replies · 4,576 Views

JasonN

After trying the FS and MS series a few times I realized that one of my issues is that I have tight hip capsules, which is also affecting my Swivel Hips. After doing the Supple Leopard Int and Ext capsule stretches the test / retest was much better.

 

Are there any other stretches in particular I should be doing?

What sort of practitioner would be best able to help? Physio, Athletic Therapist, Chiro etc?

 

 

j

Jason Dupree

I have tight hip capsules as well, and Alessandro pointed me towards sPL iMs, which I was already doing some of, but there's some good stuff all the way to f4. They need to be done with as full ROM as possible, and you can feel things getting better. MS stretch series is great, just be careful not to push too hard. From what I've heard and experienced, it will take a while to fix.

Alessandro Mainente

The first Im of straddle planche progression on foundation 1. this is the real solution guys. DO THE FIRST PLANCHE INTEGRATE MOBILITY.  Daily.

You can also do the cited IM in deep squat position.

JasonN

Alessandro, you are referring to 'Swivel Hips'? Having a hard time doing this in deep squat, I'll try in the gym later.

 

That IM is one of the exercises that is causing me issues at present (still at PE1 for everything). I don't feel much in any muscle when performing swivel hips, in fact they all seem loose, but I feel a pull right at my hip socket.

 

 

j

Natasha Robinson

I would combine Heavier internal external rotation work targeting the external rotators and posterior hip capsule. 

 

Active pigeon stretch x 10-15 reps with a 30 sec pause in last rep, isometric hold, minimal to no assist and rear knee off floor, coupled with either a seated posterior hip capsule stretch or shin box extension; sometimes known as position 4 lifts, for 10 reps and a 10 sec hold on last rep. repeat for 3-4 sets. This could be done daily for a few weeks if issue is particularly bad and then taken to 3-4 times per week, or start at 3-4 times per week and observe.