Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shopping lists

Amebix138

I just started shopping for myself after 19 years of my parents doing it for me, and I'm having a hard time thinking of things that taste good but arent as calorie laden as what I want to buy (sausage, bacon etc). So, I'm curious what the people of gymnasticbodies.com forum have on their shopping lists to recommend, with weight loss or maintenance in mind?

Thank you.

I always keep a wide range of frozen veggies (carrots, sprouts, peppers, cauliflower, broccoli, peppers, spinach, mixed veggies etc) in the freezer.

Joshua Naterman

Yes! And to make the frozen chicken tasty, keep some of your favorite sauces around. They sell cheap chinese sauce, like general tsao and sweet/sour. Thaw your chicken, cut it up into 1-2 inch chunks (~2.5-5cm), cook it in a pan with your favorite oil(peanut will give you the best flavor, and it's cheap too! And good for you), put the cooked chicken in a bowl and then just drizzle some sauce on right away. Toss it a little in the bowl and Voila!!!! You have made delicious, nutricious chicken in about 10 minutes. Eat those veggies too!

kale, raw unsalted almonds and walnuts, oranges, salmon, blueberries, wheat germ, sweet potatoes, green tea, and pizza. OK, so maybe not pizza. But I love pizza. Compromise and get the ingredients for a homemade pizza.

Joshua Naterman

LOL! Hell yea, pizza tastes good. I don't eat it much, but when I do I put on my orange headband and shout out COWABUNGA, DUDE!

Chicken is a good. I always try to keep a small stash of beans, rice, chickpeas, tuna etc. just some basic foods that enable you to prepare some decent food, whenever your stock of fresh food runs low. And eggs, always have eggs.

My shopping list:

1.Porteins:

:arrow: eggs

:arrow: alot of red meet (low fat beef)

:arrow: cottage cheese

:arrow: chiken (litlle less on my food menu)

2.Carbo hydrates:

:arrow: pasta

:arrow: bread (black and with seeds)

:arrow: rice and potato (not much on my menu)

3.Vitamins and minerals:

:arrow: green lettuce

:arrow: tomato

:arrow: peach

:arrow: kiwi

:arrow: something beatween peach and apple???

:arrow: sometimes bannana (also for carbo hydrates after training at first hard meal)

4.Fat:

:arrow: eggs

:arrow: olives

:arrow: olive oil

For other good fats such as omega 3 and omega 6's GLA I use supplements.

I eat mostly clean food, mybe from time to time I eat pizza or something else (3 times a year) and in summer times ice cream :mrgreen:

It is always intelligent to stock a bunch of foods for just in case when you get broke. In the past I used to stock ramen, but that's ultra broke food that usually doesn't do well with my system.

I stock a lot of hamburger in the freezer and cook it on the foreman.

Bananas, apples, pears, or oranges. I use to get really zealous and buy a variety of fruits, but nowadays I just get some of one type and eat through them so it's not wasted.

I like to keep a fair amount of greens around. Red/green lettuce, spinach, romaine, or iceberg. Sometimes I would get zealous like the fruit buying about having a few different kinds, but ya just gotta make sure to eat it.

I like to keep a lot of the berries frozen in a bag in the freezer. Otherwise, berries are really expensive and always rot.

I really like to make meatballs up and freeze them. It's not really cheaper than storebought but there aren't any fillers. Seriously, I generally make batches of at least 5 pounds, if not 10 using ground this or that meat (ground chuck/sirloin,etc).

I didn't mention avocados because they are expensive and yogurt because plain yogurt is a hard sell. Still tastes better than most fermented foods.

True on both accounts blairbob, but as far as cheap, healthy food, plain yogurt is as good as it gets. I far prefer it to cottage cheese. You can always add things like fruits or nuts if you can't stand it alone.

Andrew

Joshua Naterman

Dude! Some jam or fruit preserves mixed with cottage cheese is fantastic! It's not much sugar, most of what little sugar is there is pectin so it won't mess with you anyways, and it tastes kind of like candy! Nom Nom NOM-NOM-NOM!!!!!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

What's wrong with dairy? Surely as a mammal I should have no problem in digesting milk? Even if it is from a cow its hardly exotic. IS IT?!

Edit: Have done some reading. Problems include

-Silent allergies

-Crazy amount of processing (REQUITED BY LAW IN THE UK :evil: )

-Acidity promotes decrease in bone density (calcium obviously helps bones, but would be more efficient if sourced from elsewhere)

http://www.realmilk.com/what.html Interesting reading about the sad state of the dairy industry

And cheese isn't as bad, presumably due to it's lower sugar(lactose) content.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.