Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bent Arm Planche Training

nbraun198

I go on youtube a lot and watch videos and I just have one question. Why is it that like 99% of the people who post their videos of a planche bend their arms at like a 90 degree angle? I mean it's one thing to not know that you're doing it, but they are filming it and they can see their form!

I just really would like to know if there is a reason why so many people do this? (]Not just because it is a lot easier,etc, but likei if any coaches here deal with this and have a reason or idea why?

Thanks

Well if it's bend at a 90 degree angle it's something else but the ones that just slightly bend them 5-10 degrees just have bad form and find it cooler to show a 'planche' than the tuck planche they should probably be doing...

Well i understand the slightly bent arms, because at least they are trying to keep them straight. But i see videos where the arms are at like 90 degrees and the guy who is doing it has a description of like "Wow, i finally mastered the planche," and the comments are like, "beautiful planche." So i leave a comment, "That isn't a planche because the arms are bent at like 90 degrees," and I get hate mail and people swearing at me and awful messages from random people. Its sad, but pretty funny as well.

Well i don't know if there is another word but with the 90 degrees angle people usually call it a bent arm planche, it is useful to train for the bottom position of the bower or to help with pseudo planche pushups and the like. If they call it a planche they are just not into gymnastics i guess :?

Yeah thats what I say. Most of them tell me that with bent arms it is much harder and im like ??????. Also, my original question was whether a lot of people have difficultly recreating what they see. I work on the planche and a lot of other exercises on the rings/floor/parallets and when i try to get my brother to do something that i show him, he doesn't it completely wrong. This also goes for a couple of my friends.

I just used the planche as an example. They see locked straight arms (or at max extension for people with hyper-extension) and a flat straight rigid back, but they reproduce arms completely bent and back really curved. Like the complete opposite!

I don't think they have difficulty to do it if they really want to, I think they just want to try and do something harder than what they should be doing

Most of them tell me that with bent arms it is much harder and im like ??????

As Steven mentioned, bent arm planches/elbow levers, are MUCH easier and in my experience can often be performed on the first attempt by any reasonably athletic person.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer