I joined my high school gymnastics team last year, and before that I had never done anything gymnastics related before. So, in preparation for next year, I created a new workout routine to build my strength on rings (my favorite event). Please let me know what you think!
I do 3 sets of each exercise (except for static holds), doing as much reps as I can while keeping enough energy to finish all 3 sets. ( In other words, I don't go for a set number of reps, instead I keep going until I feel very close to failure.)
Monday and Thursday (Push)
1. Handstand Push Ups (against wall)
2. Dips (rings, alternating hand position)
3. Cross Pulls (rings)
4. L-Holds (rings)
5. One Handed Push ups (each side, on floor)
6. Pseudo Planche Push ups (rings)
7. Dive Bombers (rings)
8. Push Ups (rings, alternating hand positions)
9. Tuck Planche Holds (rings or floor, total of 60 seconds)
Tuesday and Friday (Pull)
1. Ice Cream Makers (rings)
2. Pull Ups (rings, alternating grip)
3. Skin The Cat Pulls (rings)
4. Tucked Front Lever Holds (rings, total of 60 seconds)
5. Rows (rings)
6. Ring Flies (rings...)
7. Jackknife Push Ups (rings)
Wednesday (Legs and Core)
*Note: This is a basic set up of what a leg routine would look like, but I have never followed it exactly due to unexpected circumstances, instead replacing some exercises with others... So not much consistency here yet.
1. Squats
2. Lunges
3. Step Ups
4. Leg Extensions (machine)
5. Leg Curls (machine)
6. Calf Raises (machine)
7. Hanging Leg and/or Knee Raises (bar)
8. Sit ups
9. Back Extensions
10. Side Plank Raises
Static holds (after every workout, 2 sets of 60 seconds for now)
1. Planks
2. Side planks
3. Hollow Holds
4. Face Up Arch Holds
5. Wall Handstand Holds (every day except for Wednesday, as much time as possible)
** I have also tried to include tuck planche and tuck front lever holds, but with little success. If I do them at the beginning, my muscles are too fatigued for the rest of the work, and if placed towards the end, I just can't get into the positions at all. To make up for this, I just do the holds at random times during my day apart from my workout (tuck planches on push days, tuck levers on pull day).