Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Martial arts leg flexibility training, standing on rings.

rubadub

My impression of this video is that it captures an all too regular occurrence in many martial arts school: an instructor of a particular martial art assuming that because he has expertise in one area, he is qualified to instruct his students in other areas. It appears that the school specializes in some form of chinese boxing, sometimes referred to as "kung fu," but it is hard to say for sure. Whatever the martial art, the form of the instructor's ring push ups did not show that the instructor himself had achieved a significant level of proficiency or strength on the rings. His students did not appear ready for the ring push ups, and the line-up style introduction did not appear to be the best way to try the apparatus out. I cannot understand why absolute beginners would first try ring push ups from an elevated position; it would be much easier to do it from the floor (or just do regular push ups without the rings to build up some basic strength).

As for the leg splits, it looked like an accident waiting to happen.

I fully support cross-training for martial artists. However, the cross-training should be provided by a qualified individual who knows the other form of training well and can articulate to the students how to start a new skill or method of training.

Just EVERYONE need gymnastics training. Every sport can benefit from our type of training.

I also advocate the use of olympic lifting for the legs and running for some aerobic conditioning.

Exercise is just a tool, and the sport you do is the way to demonstrate the coordination, power and skill you have aquired with it.

BTW MA instructors are rarely graduated/expert on training.

• 4 weeks later...

My experience with martial arts is that everyone in the class, including the trainer are overly cocky and self righteous. These kids are above a white belt, and yet they cant even do a basic ring push up. Theyre just gonna get hurt

Element, cockiness can happen in all fields and sports, not just MA.

However, they should be lowering the rings to floor. Sometimes I'm lazy at home and will just keep at one height versus resetting them to work a ring pushup variant and there have been some close calls. It's not like I'm going to get hurt but it would be embarassing and the skill doesn't work as well not down to the floor.