Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Carbonated drinks

irongymnast

How bad are carbonated drinks for our health?

Like Fanta, Sprite, Coca Cola, Pepsi etc.

What about those "sports drinks" like gatorade, lucozade, etc.

Does it hurt to drink some every now and then?

Anything that includes high fructose corn syrup I would avoid, that includeds soda and gatorade. It can be extrememly hard to rid sweet drinks from the diet as this is what many people do when they are getting tired and low on energy. A sugar rush (especially with caffine) is a great way to fix feeling tired but the eventual price far outwights the reward. If you insist on drinking sweet drinks the best i can offer is try watered down juice. Find a good product that is actually juice and contains no additives or perservatives and simply water it down by 50% when you have a glass. When I gave up soda some years back I would constantly get headaches because my blood sugar would drop extremely low and I would get dizzy. When your body is used to a regular intake of something, even something bad for it, a sudden absence can cause many problems. Like any part of diet, make changes slowly and let your body adapt to what is going on.

Andrew

matthew.percussion

Absolutely right on the blood sugar deal. I might drink one or two bottles of soda a year now. But I remember when starting out that if you didn't eat right it could mess you up. Now-a-days I get sick when I do drink pop. Not badly, just a slight stomach ache. =P

• 5 months later...
How bad are carbonated drinks for our health?

Soda is absolutely one of the worst things that you can put into your body.

Aside from the serious health issues associated with the high sugar content (obesity, tooth decay, diabetes etc.), soda also severely lessens bone density.

Years ago, I had a young man on the Jr National Team who's mother refused to wean him from his favorite breakfast of chocolate muffins and pepsi :?. Despite all precautions, as he grew older, he began getting stress fractures in his wrist and back until eventually he was no longer able to train. All because of an addiction to soda.

Soda pop and bone weakening

... Phosphorus, which occurs naturally in some foods and is used as an additive in many others, appears to promote the loss of calcium ...

... The active ingredient in most soda pop is phosphoric acid ...

... Phosphoric acid ... leaches calcium from bones ...

... With less calcium available, the bones become more porous and prone to fracture ...

... Animal studies, mostly involving rats, point to consistent and clear bone loss with the use of soda pop drinks ...

... recent human studies suggest that girls who drink more soda pop are more prone to broken bones ...

... There is growing concern that even a few cans of soda pop per day can be damaging when they are consumed during the critical bone-building years of adolescence and childhood.

... The soft drink industry denies that soda plays a role in bone weakening ...

You may read more on the ill effects of soda consumption here.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Richard Duelley

If you are looking to improve your physique as well as strength than dropping the sodas is step one. . . sure helped me along!

chocolate muffins and pepsi

I know the phosphoric acid in soft drinks leeches calcium from the bones. However, was the only thing lacking in his diet or just one thing. I'd bet on the latter.

• 1 month later...
irongymnast
his favorite breakfast of chocolate muffins and pepsi :?

I don't know why, but I find this statement hilarious!

Thanks for the link Coach, very informative.

Charles Weill

If you are looking to lose weight, simply removing coke from you diet will have a significant effect, especially if you have some mesomorph in you. When I was chubby at 13yo, I only really dropped soda from my diet (because it was hard to make too many commitments back then), and in a matter on months I lost a lot of fat. I didn't even need to do exercise (since I was lazy then). I never went back, dude! :D

There are few magical fat loss cures in the world, but removing soda from your diet is definitely one.

The active ingredient in most soda pop is phosphoric acid.
It is in most colas, most other carbonated soft drinks use other acids.

This is a video I saw recently, I was surprised what they were saying about oranges and lemons having an overall alkaline effect, I have no idea if it is correct information.

hpoAtwVyzZI

Edward Smith
This is a video I saw recently, I was surprised what they were saying about oranges and lemons having an overall alkaline effect, I have no idea if it is correct information.

hpoAtwVyzZI

Rubadub,

It can be a confusing thing, fruits like oranges, lemons, limes, etc are acidic. However in reference to diet and nutrition they are referred to as base/alkaline foods (as are vegetables), this refers to their alkaline effects on the kidneys, where as meats, grains, dairy, nuts and most other things (that aren't fruit and vegetables) are acid causing to the kidneys.

Lemon, lime and oranges' (citric) acid is good for insulin sensitivity as it increases the speed of gastro-intestinal emptying.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.