Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Antioxidants and training recovery

Trevor Catterall

Trevor Catterall

I have been taking cherryactive supplement (produced using Montmorency cherries) after training as its manufacturers claim it helps prevent soreness and reduce muscle breakdown due to its high level of anti-oxidants and its ability to destroy free radicals. I am also adverse to using protein powders (man made shakes, bars etc) as I prefer a natural, organic whole food diet and thought this might be a useful alternative.

http://www.cherryactive.co.uk/test_results.html

Cherry active has an Orac (antioxidant measurement) rating of 8260 whilst a diet including 5 fruit and vegetable portions a day will typically produce an Orac rating of approximately 1000 Orac.

What research or information do people have regarding the power of antioxidants in aiding physical recovery? Does anyone else take a similar supplement that has produced noticeable benefits?

All feedback would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many vitamin supplements that you can also take to combat free radicals-one of the best known is vitamin C. But the mistake a lot of people make is just taking this one vitamin in order to tackle free radicals, when it can sometimes make the situation even worse. Like Felipe said, fruit and veg in the diet is also a must.

Regards,

Rob.

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.