Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sleep and weight

ajhoover

I recently came across an article that discussed the link between having enough sleep and maintaining a healthy weight. There are two hormones, ghrelin and leptin that help control appetite. When you do not get enough sleep, levels of ghrelin, which increase huger, rise. Consequently levels of leptin which promotes the feeling of fullness, lower. In addition to creating an imbalance in ghrelin and leptin, sleep deprivation causes the levels of stress hormones to rise which increases cravings for high - calorie comfort food. The brain secrets growth hormone during the deep sleep phase, helping the body convert fat to energy. The average adault needs five 90 minute sleep cycles per night, so around 7.5 hours is a good goal to shoot for.

Andrew

It is out of a paper bound journal so a link is not going to work. I can try and locate it for you, but i doubt the name would be much help.

bingo, i know these factors all too well from days i've run on 2-5 hours of sleep. some massive days of feeling massively hungry.

Thanks Blairbob, but I meant it as "resource that contains information on the hormones that the human body produces", what each one does, how can it be limited/increased etc.

Not specifically for sleep.

Thanks Blairbob, but I meant it as "resource that contains information on the hormones that the human body produces", what each one does, how can it be limited/increased etc.

Not specifically for sleep.

Any physiology textbook?...

Garrett,

Could you explain the rationale behind it?

An interesting aside, Dr Eades (I believe it was him) recommends taking a 5g dose of carbohydrates prior to bed if you are having trouble sleeping on a low-carb diet.

Ed

Important Information

Please review our Privacy Policy at Privacy Policy before using the forums.