This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

10 months of HBP/PE3

Started by Edoardo Cagnola, July 21, 2015 · 14 Replies · 404 Views

Edoardo Cagnola

Hi everyone! Today seems to be the day of PPP since mine is the third form check of this exercises! 

Anyways, I've been really struggling with these but since Ive started working on plant leans things are getting better. How is my form looking?

Thanks :)

PS: I know I'm moving my feet a lot in this video. I took it on my balcony because the lighting was better, but the yoga mat I used under my feet was sliding like crazy, so there's that..

 

https://youtu.be/YDSbB_IAcPI

Vincearoo

The angle is bad or my eyes are bad. It looks like you descend to a nice forward lean, but on you ascent the lean becomes less and you only end in a standard plank lean

chuchodani

I second what Vincearoo said, you should upload a side view and it will help to clear the doubts. 

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks guys!

I'm going to record another (hopefully better :) ) video next session.

I was also a little concerned about my protraction: is it enough?

chuchodani

At last reps you lost some protraction at top but nothing horrible.

Richard Sassoon

I'm still stuck on pushups but I'm always trying to learn something from other form checks that people post, and regarding PPP there was a nice observation here. You forearm is supposed to be angled forward, and not straight up as you have here:

 

xnaijm.png

 

A good angle, I would say, you can see at the first image from this post from Adriano.

Eddie

 

PS: I know I'm moving my feet a lot in this video. I took it on my balcony because the lighting was better, but the yoga mat I used under my feet was sliding like crazy, so there's that..

The yoga mat is moving because you are pulling with your toes, that is your biggest problem...Your feet SHOULD be on a frictionless surface that will allow your feet to slide with socks on, or your feet on a slider. You need to point your toes and allow the upper body to do the pushing, while everything else maintains the line and stays stiff. For me I have to toe point/flex the legs very very hard to prevent piking and the feet curling.  Practice doing a few regular pushups with your toes pointed hard and a nice straight PPT with zero pull from the toes on the way up. Once you get that, eliminate the feet sliding back and forth on the way up or down by do this with the toe point backed up to the wall at your working lean.

 

 

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks Eddie, very helpful post!

@Richard: yesterday I didn't read the whole post you have linked, but now I did and wow, it was all worth it! I have learned a lot but mainly I've come to realize that I may be wasting my time working on PPP while I still have form problems (protraction and rounded back) with my planche lean.. In the post you have linked, Adriano is advised not to drop PPP while mastering PLL, but it's also true that he has made the most progress in terms of quality of his form AFTER mastering PLL. How does that sound? Should I take a step back?

Thanks guys!

Eddie

Keep working both. Just apply the adjustments you make to your lean to your PPP.

Richard Sassoon

I agree with Eddie, use both progressions to improve each other. Just keep checking your form constantly to be sure both are moving in the right direction. That's what I would do at least.

Edoardo Cagnola

All right, here is my 4th set of today. If I needed to criticize myself, I would say that I need to maintain a better PPT during the movement and that I need to lose the rounding in my back in the top position. Maybe also lean a little further at the top: I don't end up in a plank position but I lean much more at the bottom of the movement. I've applied Eddie's advice about feet position and it seems to be better now.

What do you think?

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :)

 

https://youtu.be/9oLymBhQsuU

chuchodani

Your back is arched at the bottom position, try to lean less until you can fix that problem. I think you're using a lean that is above your current level of strength. Compare your back to mine at bottom position.

 

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks for your reply!

I agree on the arched lower back, I'll have to correct that. There are so many little details in PPP I find it very difficult to remember them all! :)

Apart from that, I think I'm finally getting the hang of this movement and it's finally starting to feel natural!

Eddie

You are still pulling with your feet. I also notice you are arching pretty bad and losing your PPT when you go down. You want to maintain your position and move up and down stiff as a board. Flex your legs together and point your toes so hard they cramp, decrease the lean to where you aren't recruiting your feet to help you up.

 

I don't see a problem with your back/protraction at the top. Your upper back is rounding because you are protracting the shoulders hard, when you lean you depress the shoulders while maintaining protraction. This begins to remove the curve the further you lean and the more you depress. With your shoulder and upper back position, at your amount of lean...as long as your hips are in line with the shoulders and your PPT is nice and tight and not piked, you are right where you need to be. If you were to lift your feet on to an elevated surface your back wouldn't be as round. This is tough topic and I have struggled with this form for years, so if I have it wrong a moderator will correct me.

Edoardo Cagnola

Thanks Eddie, what a wonderful post!

I'm not quite sure I have completely understood the feet thing. Do you mind explaining it a little better?

This is my understanding of the matter. In a post Zach wrote that for now we are allowed to have a greater lean in the bottom of the movement. If you lean more you should need to move your feet, but since we aren't allowed to do so the only way to accommodate the further lean is to extend the ankles. Also, what I've just described is also done by Allan in the course video. Finally, if you look at the photo in the post linked by Richard you'll see two photos from Adriano in which two feet positions are showed: mine is similar to what he defines at the right one.

I'm not trying to say you're wrong, it's quite the opposite! I'm just trying to understand better, given the facts that I now know :)